CAM SWAP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmyjam68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everyone,
I did a cam swap on a 2012 5.7 ram 1500. I did a mds delete and the cam was basically stock just after market (better) and I changed lifters with the hell cat 1's. I lined up the cam at 12 and crank at six with the key at 2. I took chain and put the 2 marks on either side of the mark on cam and the 1 line lined up with the dimple on crank. Put all back together. Well it was in limp mode and my scanner was sating weird stuff like -64 deg timing so I shut down and cleared the codes and it was the same. So I tore down and sure enough I was about the much. I understand the reason for limp mode. So I reset everything again and tried again well better it wasnt in limp mode it would take fuel and would somewhat idle? I checked timing and it would go to like 5 then go down to -5 and back and forth and the most I saw was like-10. My question now is that enough for the engine to run rough? I don't even know why I asked that I just dred having to tare into the timing again. I guess to I am wondering if there could be something else I am missing? I didnt mention in the beginning when I tore into it I checked all push rods that none fell and I also made sure that the rockers were going up and down. Any help would be helpful TIA

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you use a degree wheel to check you cam install ?
Your Tuner should've sent you a startup tune for the cam swap.