Camper Shell on 4th Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ltcoliver

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab Sunburst 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, I never considered a cap in the 15 years I have owned a truck, but now I find myself wanting one.. It looks really sweet on the 4th generation. Anyone have an idea of the price painted?

Last edited:

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
What is the difference between a camper shell and a topper? I had a fiberglass topper on my ram and i sold it for a tonneau cover.

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
^ive seen them in real life though that go "up" in the back. weird.

OP
OP
Mad Cow

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
You know my first Ram was when I was 16 and it came with a camper shell. When I bought my next ram I bought one with a camper shell. Then on my last truck my wife said Hell no on the camper shell and talked me into a tonneau cover. After owning a tonneau cover I know that all my truck will have camper shells. They are so great. When I am buying the camper I will get a defender rack on it so that I can one store a full size spare but most important I can install fishing rod holders inside the shell on the roof out of the way and safe. I did two truck ago install a battery guage in the bed and two fans that were hooked up to the battery to help keep it cool in the summer.

jwilliams82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have been thinking about a camper shell since i got the truck, i saw this post earlier and really liked the look of that black one so i called up my local leer dealer to check out the price. It's the 100xq and it starts at 1525. He said he just got one in so i went up to look at it a while ago. drove around to the back of the store where i saw the shells sitting and got out of the truck to look at it. It's nice and i'l probably get it but not from this dealer because while i was there the workers started doing burnouts in the back parking lot behind my truck in someones shiny new chrysler alpine!

rinkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys haven't been on here in awhile but the black truck with the topper is mine. Leer 100 XQ. Shells/toppers are great if you hunt and/or have a dog. Put tons of gear back there and your dog and it is great. Only downfall is hauling wheeler or something big but trailer solves that problem. Up here in MN toppers are pretty popular. Are far as looks go I prob like no topper but I find them so handy for the stuff I do. Thanks for the compliments.

OP
OP
Mad Cow

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hey guys haven't been on here in awhile but the black truck with the topper is mine. Leer 100 XQ. Shells/toppers are great if you hunt and/or have a dog. Put tons of gear back there and your dog and it is great. Only downfall is hauling wheeler or something big but trailer solves that problem. Up here in MN toppers are pretty popular. Are far as looks go I prob like no topper but I find them so handy for the stuff I do. Thanks for the compliments.

Great looking Ram you have. Thanks for posting on this. Your truck sold me on a camper shell.

rinkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great looking Ram you have. Thanks for posting on this. Your truck sold me on a camper shell.

The other thing that sold me on this leer was the windows open from the bottom. The top of the windows stay sealed. You can open the large side windows for air and the rain/moisture won't get inside. A huge plus if you are sleeping in it or have a dog and need the dog to have some air when it is raining. Problem is they aren't cheap.

OP
OP
Mad Cow

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Sorry for the slow reply. Yeah they sure are not cheap but worth it for me. Thanks for your input and again I love your truck. This is a good bump for some of the new guys to look at also.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Man that looks really good! Ever since I've joined here lifted trucks withcaps and racks has really grown own me! Lol
The guy that lives a few houses down from my parents has a hoist in his garage that he lifts his cap off his mega cab and stores it out of the way and he throws a tri fold on it when he doesn't need the cap

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The other thing that sold me on this leer was the windows open from the bottom. The top of the windows stay sealed. You can open the large side windows for air and the rain/moisture won't get inside. A huge plus if you are sleeping in it or have a dog and need the dog to have some air when it is raining. Problem is they aren't cheap.

I really like that feature as well. I had an ___ brand with the typical front to back sliding windows on my '00 when I bought it. I hated that I couldn't open the windows if it was raining outside without water getting inside the shell.

Now if only I had a couple grand just 'sitting around':roflsquared:

Stroked

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dang, I was wanting to get one of these for my truck, but after reading this thread it'll be a while because I can't afford it. Gotta build a garage first.

Mad Cow, it'll definitely look great on your truck. Especially if you mount a roof rack on it.

OP
OP
Mad Cow

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Dang, I was wanting to get one of these for my truck, but after reading this thread it'll be a while because I can't afford it. Gotta build a garage first.

Mad Cow, it'll definitely look great on your truck. Especially if you mount a roof rack on it.

Thanks brother. Yeah I will be buying this in the fall. Gotta save for a bit for it. All said and done I'm thinking 4K.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks brother. Yeah I will be buying this in the fall. Gotta save for a bit for it. All said and done I'm thinking 4K.

Yea, it's redic how expensive all the crap for them are.
Part of me wants to get the roof racks, so I can put my skis etc up there, but then I started thinking... Oh yea, that's what the BED IS FOR. Haha!

OP
OP
Mad Cow

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I like to carry my dog with me and I will not put my bird dog on my leather seats so until I get the camper she is in a kennel in the back.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like to carry my dog with me and I will not put my bird dog on my leather seats so until I get the camper she is in a kennel in the back.
I have no idea what you're talking about....
Image007.jpg

This was in my '00 Ram, factory heated leather. Awesome seats, his claws never did any damage to them at all. I was very surprised.