Camping trip over in a split second

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Got T-boned Thursday afternoon. We're fine, the truck is fine, but the trailer is not so fine.
Day 3 of our planned slow trek to CT, we got whacked in Hardeville, SC. We were only about 1 1/2 miles from our planned overnight campground.
Driver with no license, probably no insurance either, was on her cell phone.
Not my fault, we had a witness who saw everything.
There was no traffic except for 4 or 5 vehicles waiting to turn in front of me in the left turn only lane. The next guy in line allowed me to go cause he saw me waiting so long. Then as I was almost halfway thru the intersection this woman decided she didn't want to wait and zoomed out of the turn lane and BAM!
I saw her coming out of the corner of my eye and hit the go pedal and that saved the truck and most of the trailer.
She never hit her brakes or tried to avoid. Luckily she was also not injured (but who knows what she'll do in a few days).

But we're done for a while. Friday we unloaded everything out of the trailer and into a uhaul trailer and brought it all back home to Fl yesterday.
Monday our insurance company will flatbed the trailer to their facility near Savanna and then an adjuster looks at it to determine if they repair or total it.
So right now we are in limbo.

But we are home and not injured. $hit happens

IMG_2304.JPG IMG_2305.JPG IMG_2307.JPG

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Man I'm so sorry to hear that! That is something I think about often while towing.

People don't pay attention, but you'd think they'd see a large truck and trailer in their path.

I hope the figures work out to total the trailer, that thing is hurt. That is minor impact.

Glad that you and your family and truck are ok though, that is what's most important. Good luck man.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im sorry to hear that happened. Like you said at least no one was hurt.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Man I'm so sorry to hear that! That is something I think about often while towing.

People don't pay attention, but you'd think they'd see a large truck and trailer in their path.

I hope the figures work out to total the trailer, that thing is hurt. That is minor impact.

Glad that you and your family and truck are ok though, that is what's most important. Good luck man.
When I did service work in the city and pulled a bumper pull flatdeck around I had somebody nose in between my truck and the trailer to merge when traffic stopped. Caught it in my mirror before I hit him and he had to back out to let me go. Even without the cel phone people can get into a daze and do something stupid. The imaginary driver on my trailer wasn't going to let him in. Lol

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Damn that sucks so bad. Sorry to hear your trip was cut short but glad that nobody was hurt.

Makes me sad to see an RV like that because me and my gf want one so bad but just can’t afford one at the moment.

Good luck with the insurance company, hopefully it gets replaced with an even better one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That really sucks, people today do not pay attention while driving, I have a 53 year old classic car and I can't tell you how many people have pulled out in front of me or have passed me then get just past my front bumper then cut in and slow down or hit their brakes. Some people are really stupid when they drive just like the one I saw yesterday behind me at a gas station. She was the only one in her car and she had a mask on and one of those plastic shields over her face, Really People ? Anyway glad everyone is ok but it could be border line totaled that kind of damage inside and that axle is shot. Just hope she has insurance. Good Luck

thomas5853

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
That sucks but like you said know one was hurt. I guess it is up to the insurance adjuster to make a determination. Maybe it is time to upgrade to something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got T-boned Thursday afternoon. We're fine, the truck is fine, but the trailer is not so fine.
Day 3 of our planned slow trek to CT, we got whacked in Hardeville, SC. We were only about 1 1/2 miles from our planned overnight campground.
There was no traffic except for 4 or 5 vehicles waiting to turn in front of me in the left turn only lane. The next guy in line allowed me to go cause he saw me waiting so long. Then as I was almost halfway thru the intersection this woman decided she didn't want to wait and zoomed out of the turn lane and BAM!
I saw her coming out of the corner of my eye and hit the go pedal and that saved the truck and most of the trailer.
She never hit her brakes or tried to avoid. Luckily she was also not injured (but who knows what she'll do in a few days).

But we're done for a while. Friday we unloaded everything out of the trailer and into a uhaul trailer and brought it all back home to Fl yesterday.
Monday our insurance company will flatbed the trailer to their facility near Savanna and then an adjuster looks at it to determine if they repair or total it.

View attachment 247457 View attachment 247458 View attachment 247459
Sad day friend. Glad everyone is safe, and hope it all gets sorted out as fast as possible.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
That just totally blows....they'll probably total it out. The axles are jacked from your photo so who knows what else is damaged underneath of it. And the interior damage from the impact, who know what got broken apart. I would be surprised if they don't total the trailer out.

That's one of the biggest things I worry about, is what other people do on the road, not me.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry to see this, glad you guys are okay.

I never really thought about this before but are there RV/travel trailer collision repair businesses out there?

Looks like the other driver was lucky she didn't hit it harder. Can we see some pics of her car? I'm guessing your trailer ended up on her hood or engine right?

OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Sorry to see this, glad you guys are okay.

I never really thought about this before but are there RV/travel trailer collision repair businesses out there?

Looks like the other driver was lucky she didn't hit it harder. Can we see some pics of her car? I'm guessing your trailer ended up on her hood or engine right?

Yes there are places that do RV accident repair. Actually Grand Design has a repair facility at their factory. I sent them an e mail to see if they can help me.

I didn't take any pics of the car. the front end is pretty well demolished. Probably a total. She was accelerating from about 4 or 5 car lengths and never hit the brakes.
If she were in the travel lane she would have been doing 50/55 and might have knocked the trailer over. As it was she moved the trailer what felt like maybe 10 degrees. we heard the impact noise and felt very little in the truck.

OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
That just totally blows....they'll probably total it out. The axles are jacked from your photo so who knows what else is damaged underneath of it. And the interior damage from the impact, who know what got broken apart. I would be surprised if they don't total the trailer out.

I think only the stub axle end is bent. The rest looked ok based on a very quick look underneath. I know the bathroom (in the rear) got totally messed up and maybe (likely) the water heater, but the middle and front of the trailer seem ok. Fridge still works, slide works but probably tweaked a bit, so it's hard to say what they will do. The trailer is only 7 months old so I think it will be a close call.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Man, only 7 months old. That. makes me sick just to think about. Yes it's going to have a lot of value since it's so new so they may seem it repairable.

If so, choose your repair shop very wisely, do your homework, look for reviews, ask for references. It can be repaired and be as good as new, with the right repair facility.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Where in Hardeeville?

Where in Hardeeville? Closest repair was in Ridgeland but they are temporarily closed.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That really does suck. GD's are really nice trailers. But like the others have said, no one was hurt. That's the important part. Let us know what they say.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It does not look like the main frame was touched

Where the axle is attached could very well be tweaked & the side floor framing will need repairing. The rear floor framing may have been pulled forward when the sidewall was pushed in.

It is repairable, but ......

Glad everyone is OK, but not OK that it ruined your trip

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad to hear everyone is ok but that stinks about your trip. I hope you hear soon about repair or total.

OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Where in Hardeeville?

Where in Hardeeville? Closest repair was in Ridgeland but they are temporarily closed.

Crossing 278 (Independance Blvd) on John Smith Rd. Star Garage was the outfit that helped us.

OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Man, only 7 months old. That. makes me sick just to think about. Yes it's going to have a lot of value since it's so new so they may seem it repairable.

If so, choose your repair shop very wisely, do your homework, look for reviews, ask for references. It can be repaired and be as good as new, with the right repair facility.

I'm hoping it can be sent back to the Grand Design repair facility. They should be able to replace the axle and tow it to Indiana or put it on a lowboy trailer.