Camping trip over in a split second

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
That's one of the biggest things I worry about, is what other people do on the road, not me.

Exactly my fear. I tow with a swivel on my head. When my Dad was teaching me to drive, one of the things he'd do is randomly cover up the rear view mirror and ask me what was behind us without looking. I had to know at all times, if I didn't know, my drive time was over for that day. (it was annoying then, but I'm happier for it today).

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How could she have not seen that? I wonder if you could have taken off that tire and limped to the campground if you were less than 2 miles away.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Glad to hear everyone is safe. Sorry about your loss, both of the camper, and the vacation. Three weeks ago I had a flat on the TT going camping for a long weekend. Now I don't feel so bad about my troubles...

Duane Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L - Diesel
Man that hurts....a campers worse nightmare....glad family is ok...hate to deal with insurance company on campers...they feel they are a dime a dozen, but you can get one for a dime any more...Good luck and hope you are back on the road again soon...many smiles with the miles...

OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
How could she have not seen that? I wonder if you could have taken off that tire and limped to the campground if you were less than 2 miles away.

We did remove the tire and I limped to the towers yard that was 2 miles away. The unit is unusable though so going to the campground didn't make sense.

OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Looks like a neck injury to me.

LOL no I won't do that.
I had to sit on a jury for a "cervical strain injury" suit and saw first hand what BS and a waste of time it was. However, we the jury saw thru it all and awarded almost nothing.

Jim Carelas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L V6
Looks like a neck injury to me.

Reminds me of the time we were rear ended by a drunk old lady. They fixed the vehicle and gave my wife and I $500 each for "any injuries". Even though we did not have any problems. However, by cashing the checks gave them all freedom from any claim later down the road.!! :eek:)

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Reminds me of the time we were rear ended by a drunk old lady. They fixed the vehicle and gave my wife and I $500 each for "any injuries". Even though we did not have any problems. However, by cashing the checks gave them all freedom from any claim later down the road.!! :eek:)

Are you certain? That's not how it typically works. The only way that can happen is if you signed a release. Cashing the checks/accepting payment is not a waiver of your rights, typically.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bear with me here. I’m playing devils advocate.

You DID have the right of way, correct?
The reason I ask is because you said another driver waved you on. <If the other party lawyers up, that is going to become their defense. If the lawyer smells easy
Insurance money, it’s possible, however unlikely, things may get sticky.

The reality is, the other party probably won’t go there, but have your story straight just in case.

Stuff can be replaced..... but what a hassle.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The reason I ask is because you said another driver waved you on. <If the other party lawyers up, that is going to become their defense. If the lawyer smells easy
Being the other driver didn't have a driver's license and she hit the back end of a travel trailer pretty much negates a possible lawsuit even if he didn't have right of way. The amount of time he was blocking the lane of travel while turning with a travel trailer gave the other driver time to stop which she is obligated to do. If she hit the truck that could be argued in her favor.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're right Crash. "prett much negates".....
I agree. But then again there was the woman that got $2.8M from Mc Donald's for hot coffee.

I got T-boned one night by a drunk lady. A cop whitnessed it all. 3 months later, I was still getting phone calls from Liberty Mutual. I dont put anything past anyone now days.

OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Bear with me here. I’m playing devils advocate.

The reality is, the other party probably won’t go there, but have your story straight just in case.

Stuff can be replaced..... but what a hassle.

I was crossing the intersection. So I did not have the right of way, however everyone else was in the left turn only lane and that lane was stopped.
There was zero traffic coming in either direction in the travel lanes. That's why I crossed. She pulled out of the left turn only lane and slammed into the trailer. No license, on her phone. Verified by a witness.
She had plenty of opportunity to stop if she were paying attention.
IF she were in the "travel lane" she would have been going 50-55 mph and probably would have toppled the trailer over.

If the other party wants to try to sue my insurance company so be it. But with no license I'm not sure she would win.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Should make all vehicles not start if all cell phones are not locked in the trunk. Almost every "close call" I see is due to a cell phone or alcohol.

Because humans can t be trusted. The problem is that there is no accountability.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
I was crossing the intersection. So I did not have the right of way, however everyone else was in the left turn only lane and that lane was stopped.
There was zero traffic coming in either direction in the travel lanes. That's why I crossed. She pulled out of the left turn only lane and slammed into the trailer. No license, on her phone. Verified by a witness.
She had plenty of opportunity to stop if she were paying attention.
IF she were in the "travel lane" she would have been going 50-55 mph and probably would have toppled the trailer over.

If the other party wants to try to sue my insurance company so be it. But with no license I'm not sure she would win.

Some lawyer will review her case and possibly sue. The insurance company may settle just because bits cheaper.

As to your trailer, hope you have good insurance. I carry more than required. I carry to cover myself and my stuff. Estimates of the insured or underinsured drive vers is as high as 79% in the USA. Compare the cost of campers and trucks to the state minimum insurance requirements.

Also have you truck looked at because it was attached to the trailer. Could have bent the hitch or frame.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Like said, it's great no one got hurt and hopefully you get fixed up with minimal hassle. It sucks that from the sounds of it, you'll have to go though your insurance on this and suing the girl won't yield much of anything. Your rates will go up regardless.

One of the benefits of having nothing.. Why bother carrying any or adequate insurance?

I know having been through similar situations with fender-benders, insurance co's and lawyers, I feel for you. For me it never went easy.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Op- good call getting the truck checked as suggested by HD. It cant hurt. I doubt either were compromised though, especially the truck chassis frame.

The impact wasn't that great. Trailers are built so light these days it doesn't take much of an impact to blow them apart.

As to lawyers, yes can be tough to deal with, depending on the lawyer, just like anything else

Same with insurance companies. If you have a good one they will take care of you as best as they can. If you don't, games can be played.

Insurance is a highly regulated industry these days so it's not like it used to be, but there are some. better than others like anything else. You get what you pay for.

It also helps to read your policy and understand what is and isn't covered before you need your policy. Helps set reasonable expectations for you.

Good luck again OP, let us know about your trailer and what comes of it.

OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
The truck didn't really move, we didn't feel anything, we just heard the noise. I'll have my son look at on a lift when we get to Ct next week, but I seriously doubt there are any issues. She was not going very fast.
Here's the link to the copart lot where it sits awaiting it's fate:
2021 GRAN IMAGINE SE for Sale | GA - SAVANNAH | Sat. May 22, 2021 - Used & Salvage Cars - Copart USA

Yes I do believe she will sue. And hopefully my insurance will be "ok". It's Good Sam and they specialize in RVs. I know I'll get bit hopefully it's a small bite. I already got the paid the max for lodging, the uhaul rental, fuel and everything else that cost us to get our stuff back home.
And we'll put in for a fridge full of food, but everything else we took out of the trailer. (except for a can of hair spray which we think went into the holding tank). And the electric griddle that got broken.

I was told that if the repair estimate is 75% or less of the current value then they will want to have it repaired. It's a 2021 bought at the end of August so it does have decent value. (trade in is 20K, used retail would be about 28K) I'll actually lose less if they fix it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Yes I do believe she will sue. And hopefully my insurance will be "ok".
If she's stupid enough to want to sue, any decent lawyer will bury her alive and probably make her pay for it all. She wasn't supposed be on the road and as you stated there was no oncoming traffic when you pulled out to turn. If the police have the witness statement saying she turned out of the turn lane into a travel lane, your butt is more than covered.
When someone can get sued for timing an intersection green and getting broadsided by someone running the red light. You ask WTF? the guy ran a red light??? The guy who timed the green is supposed to make sure the intersection is safe to cross before proceeding. Actually happened to a co-worker.

Last edited: