Camping trip over in a split second

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^I agree with all that.

But the fact remains.....I got T-boned by a woman that ran a red light, blew .11%, crash witnessed by a cop, and I was getting phone called 3 months later.

In Louisville, between the Outer Loop and the Sherman Minton bridge (about 10 miles) there are 15 Ambulance Chaser billboards. Sueing is profitable.

Get your story straight. Keep your guard up. Just in case...

OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
^I agree with all that.

But the fact remains.....I got T-boned by a woman that ran a red light, blew .11%, crash witnessed by a cop, and I was getting phone called 3 months later.

In Louisville, between the Outer Loop and the Sherman Minton bridge (about 10 miles) there are 15 Ambulance Chaser billboards. Sueing is profitable.

Get your story straight. Keep your guard up. Just in case...

It already happened. Just found out. That's why I have insurance.

Jim Carelas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L V6
Are you certain? That's not how it typically works. The only way that can happen is if you signed a release. Cashing the checks/accepting payment is not a waiver of your rights, typically.

No I'm not Certain. I'm not a Lawyer so I cannot say for sure. But they were over the top giving me the $1,000 even after I told them I was OK and wasn't that kind of person. So I'm assuming there's a legal point to it all.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
No I'm not Certain. I'm not a Lawyer so I cannot say for sure. But they were over the top giving me the $1,000 even after I told them I was OK and wasn't that kind of person. So I'm assuming there's a legal point to it all.

Thank you for the reply. If you signed no release then none of your rights were waived. Accepting and cashing a claim check does not waive your rights.

OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
an update:
We are still waiting for insurance too decide repair or total. This is from May 13.
Both my wife and I have sent numerous e mails and have had phone conferences with the assigned agent and the regional manager.
Waiting on pricing is the "excuse".
Called manufacturer to find out what was up, contacted the RV parts direct agent, yada yada, still same story.
Finally got a call late yesterday from the insurance estimator. Right now the estimate is at 27K and she knows they will find more once they get into it.
In Florida (my home state) they use 80% as the bogey. Over 80% they total. 80% or less they repair.
So it depends on what cost they ultimately use.
If they use what we paid in August we are already over 90%.
If they use "replacement cost (which is what it is supposed to cover) we are in the high 70s %.

The strange thing about this (to me anyway) is that the estimator has her office in Arkansas, and the trailer ins in Georgia. She did the estimate based solely on pictures that we sent.
Luckily my wife is a photographer so she takes tons of pictures..

Lesson learned "take lots of pictures if you get in a trailer accident".

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Got T-boned Thursday afternoon. We're fine, the truck is fine, but the trailer is not so fine.
Day 3 of our planned slow trek to CT, we got whacked in Hardeville, SC. We were only about 1 1/2 miles from our planned overnight campground.
Driver with no license, probably no insurance either, was on her cell phone.
Not my fault, we had a witness who saw everything.
There was no traffic except for 4 or 5 vehicles waiting to turn in front of me in the left turn only lane. The next guy in line allowed me to go cause he saw me waiting so long. Then as I was almost halfway thru the intersection this woman decided she didn't want to wait and zoomed out of the turn lane and BAM!
I saw her coming out of the corner of my eye and hit the go pedal and that saved the truck and most of the trailer.
She never hit her brakes or tried to avoid. Luckily she was also not injured (but who knows what she'll do in a few days).

But we're done for a while. Friday we unloaded everything out of the trailer and into a uhaul trailer and brought it all back home to Fl yesterday.
Monday our insurance company will flatbed the trailer to their facility near Savanna and then an adjuster looks at it to determine if they repair or total it.
So right now we are in limbo.

But we are home and not injured. $hit happens

****... That sucks man. Probably because your big truck and big RV was hard to see. FFS...

Happy no one was hurt in this ordeal.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Got T-boned Thursday afternoon. We're fine, the truck is fine, but the trailer is not so fine.
Day 3 of our planned slow trek to CT, we got whacked in Hardeville, SC. We were only about 1 1/2 miles from our planned overnight campground.
Driver with no license, probably no insurance either, was on her cell phone.
Not my fault, we had a witness who saw everything.
There was no traffic except for 4 or 5 vehicles waiting to turn in front of me in the left turn only lane. The next guy in line allowed me to go cause he saw me waiting so long. Then as I was almost halfway thru the intersection this woman decided she didn't want to wait and zoomed out of the turn lane and BAM!
I saw her coming out of the corner of my eye and hit the go pedal and that saved the truck and most of the trailer.
She never hit her brakes or tried to avoid. Luckily she was also not injured (but who knows what she'll do in a few days).

But we're done for a while. Friday we unloaded everything out of the trailer and into a uhaul trailer and brought it all back home to Fl yesterday.
Monday our insurance company will flatbed the trailer to their facility near Savanna and then an adjuster looks at it to determine if they repair or total it.
So right now we are in limbo.

But we are home and not injured. $hit happens

View attachment 247457 View attachment 247458 View attachment 247459
Glad you're all ok, what a mess.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The strange thing about this (to me anyway) is that the estimator has her office in Arkansas, and the trailer ins in Georgia. She did the estimate based solely on pictures that we sent.
That is odd, one of my cousins used to work at a multi-company insurance agency. The office used to do estimates for out of state partner insurance agencies for situations similar to yours.
Sounds like the trailer might be replaced. If they do decide to fix it, you might need to give the trailer repair shop a nice bottle of something before they do their estimate...you know so they do a really good job of finding everything wrong [emoji6]

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
an update:
We are still waiting for insurance too decide repair or total. This is from May 13.
Both my wife and I have sent numerous e mails and have had phone conferences with the assigned agent and the regional manager.
Waiting on pricing is the "excuse".
Called manufacturer to find out what was up, contacted the RV parts direct agent, yada yada, still same story.
Finally got a call late yesterday from the insurance estimator. Right now the estimate is at 27K and she knows they will find more once they get into it.
In Florida (my home state) they use 80% as the bogey. Over 80% they total. 80% or less they repair.
So it depends on what cost they ultimately use.
If they use what we paid in August we are already over 90%.
If they use "replacement cost (which is what it is supposed to cover) we are in the high 70s %.

Luckily my wife is a photographer so she takes tons of pictures..

Lesson learned "take lots of pictures if you get in a trailer accident".

Really not that uncommon in today's world. Parts and availability are still behind from the covid. With major damage, expect 30 days to get your final estimate.

I do this every day for a living. This is the new norm for now, I would imagine until next year when hopefully most things will be back to pre covid operations.

I don't understand not sending an appraiser out to inspect so a comprehensive scope of damage could be obtained, especially with damage like you have. My company would never do that, but mainstream (big insurance carriers) have duped the public into doing their jobs for them, so they can write half a$$ appraisals through photos taken by the customer so they can save the LAE dollars from assigning an appraiser to inspect.

Hang in there and be patient. This stuff can take time to run to ground depending on many factors

Follow up with them weekly until they get it resolved. Be polite, the squeaky wheel does not always get greased..

OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Got a call from the agent yesterday while we were driving. Were told another 10 days before we would hear anything.
Wife lost it and shot all three barrels at the guy. Then hung up after she told him we didn't trust him any more.

Later we got a call saying it was totaled and we would hear from the "Total Loss department".

So hopefully this will end soon. Fingers crossed we get a fair buyout.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would have blown all 3 barrels too. Wow that is ridiculous. Its probably for the best. I hope they take care of you.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
WOW Hope all ends up in your favor !

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
To top it off you have pretty much lost all camping opportunities for this year

OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
To top it off you have pretty much lost all camping opportunities for this year

Yes I know but the wife has hip replacement surgery scheduled for early August so the summer is blown anyway.
But we live in Florida so October thru the winter camping can happen!

OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
WOW Hope all ends up in your favor !

It looks like it just might.
Got a call this morning from insurance company and they laid it all out and said we will get our trailer replaced minus the $500 deductible!!
Including sales tax, etc.
Our local dealer, Lazy Days Tampa, has 2 of our units due in soon that are not spoken for so hopefully I can get one of them.

Stay tuned

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Got a call this morning from insurance company and they laid it all out and said we will get our trailer replaced minus the $500 deductible!!
Our local dealer, Lazy Days Tampa, has 2 of our units due in soon that are not spoken for so hopefully I can get one of them.

Stay tuned
That is great news , Looks like the camping season is not over :)

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel

Stay tuned
That's great news, best of luck.

15 Handicap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Blue Streak Pearl Coat 3.6
Glad no one was hurt.Hopefully you get the new rig soon. What a story.