Can I Add Deep Pan to 545RFE Tranny? - 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quadcab 2WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
I am getting ready to change the fluid and filters in the 545RFE Tranny in my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quadcab 2WD. I plan to add a pan with a plug. And I noticed there is a shallow pan on most 2WD Ram trucks and a deep pan on some 4WD models. Can I add the deep pan and deep pan filter to my 2WD 545RFE tranny? Is there anything else that requires changing if I do add it?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I am getting ready to change the fluid and filters in the 545RFE Tranny in my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quadcab 2WD. I plan to add a pan with a plug. And I noticed there is a shallow pan on most 2WD Ram trucks and a deep pan on some 4WD models. Can I add the deep pan and deep pan filter to my 2WD 545RFE tranny? Is there anything else that requires changing if I do add it?
Yes, you can install the deep pan with the 4x4 deep filter. No problem at all. Nothing special is needed for the job.

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
Yes, you can install the deep pan with the 4x4 deep filter. No problem at all. Nothing special is needed for the job.

Thanks so much. I've ordered the Dorman deep pan w/plug and the Fram filter kit for the 4WD 545RFE. I know Fram has a poor reputation among many, but I wanted a kit that came with a new seal and that I was sure has a back-flow preventer valve in the spin-on filter. And the Fram does. The Wix kit (sadly now made in China) reportedly doesn't. Plus the Fram has better reviews that almost all the others on Amazon. Never thought Fram would be my number-one pick. But for this specific application, it appears to be. o_O

Last edited: