Can I drill out an OEM ‘20 spare to replace stock ‘17

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Hemi4905

Hemi4905

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@pacofortacos - Wheel looks solid aluminum but interesting fact that the chrome clad pops off and leaves the right diameter for the spare drop down bracket. 9CA73DA3-11E6-4738-BDCE-AD56ACBE7FBA.jpeg

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, on the chrome clad wheels, just pop the chrome cladding off and the hole is the perfect size.
Or you could just cut the chrome part off and make it match the size of the back hole - just be aware to debur the cut plastic as it might be very sharp.

At least I think that the hole in the aluminum is the right size on some of the chrome clad wheels if not all of them - it may require a slight mod of the spare bracket. But the hole in the aluminum is definitely the right size for the hub on the axle.

IF you want to know for sure, I can measure the center hole on my 17" aluminum spare wheel - I have one just laying around.

Mine came with the 17" spare but in aluminum and I removed the temp. spare tire and put on a E-load 285/70/17 tire on the spare rim to use as my spare - perfect size for a slightly worn 275/60/20 . Wheel is a bit narrow for the 285/70/17 but it is a HD full size spare not a permanent replacement for a flat/damage 275/60/20.

Last edited:

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks but I just wouldn’t feel safe towing a trailered car knowing my spare is a 17” when I’m on 20”s.
You realize that the spare tire is the same diameter as the oem 20s, right? 17" rim or not doesn't matter. They use the 17s because 17" steel rims are the smallest that fit over the caliper, and 17" rims and tires are cheaper than anything bigger. If anyone is worried about corrosion, drop the spare once or twice a year, inspect it and give it a good coat of wd40 or protective film to keep it from rusting. Also worthwhile to spray the winch cable to keep it from rusting solid.
235-85r17 is equivalent to a 33" tall tire, just a narrow 33 that fits under the bed without hanging down too far.
As for the original problem, I'd see what would need to be trimmed on the bracket before modifying the wheel.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You realize that the spare tire is the same diameter as the oem 20s, right? 17" rim or not doesn't matter. They use the 17s because 17" steel rims are the smallest that fit over the caliper, and 17" rims and tires are cheaper than anything bigger. If anyone is worried about corrosion, drop the spare once or twice a year, inspect it and give it a good coat of wd40 or protective film to keep it from rusting. Also worthwhile to spray the winch cable to keep it from rusting solid.
235-85r17 is equivalent to a 33" tall tire, just a narrow 33 that fits under the bed without hanging down too far.
As for the original problem, I'd see what would need to be trimmed on the bracket before modifying the wheel.
I think the bigger issue is the tires temporary designation, as well as load rating when pulling a trailer. It is better to have a full size matching spare given the option.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modifying the bracket to fit through the small chrome clad hole would make the bracket too weak.

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just ordered a 20x8 steel wheel and had a regular tire mounted. Cheapest alternative to buying a clad wheel and removing the chrome cladding.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Open the hole in the chrome cladding. Centre bore of the wheel correct, it’s an OEM wheel, you are just taking the chrome on the outside off.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am sure you can do that , but if you do you might off center the wheel and then introduce a vibration if you ever have to use it. Or you can go to the junk year and look for a truck that has the 20s on them and take the spare tire holder from it.
Most trucks with 20" wheels have 17 or 18" steel spares. If you have a wheel that the center axle hole is too small you should NOT be using that wheel anyway, not all RAM wheel cross fit to all other RAMS. Stay with a correct cneter hole size and be safe.

David Barros

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 liter
Yes I agree, the bracket is a bit larger. I purchased a set of used factor 20's for my 2015 Ram 1500 LoneStar and had to modify the bracket so it would fit through the center hole of the wheel. I just put the bracket on the floor of my shop and beat it with a small sledge hammer just enough for it to slide through the center hole.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Both 2012
Engine
Hemi 5.7 & Cummins 6.7
Thanks but I just wouldn’t feel safe towing a trailered car knowing my spare is a 17” when I’m on 20”s.
Why not, its just a smaller rim size, the tires are still the same height.
And its called an emergency "spare" for a reason.

AlexC2350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OP, I did this with my commuter car to fit my snow tires over the center hub. I just took an 1/8 out the center of the rim. They were just cheap steel wheels so I figured I’d give it a shot. I used a hole saw to cut it out and to hold the arbor center I just took a block of wood and lagged it to the back side through the lug holes. Using a dremmel tool and going around might work too. The lugs hold the wheel centered.

DRam2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The rams are hub centric I believe. You drill the wheel and things can get ugly !

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To clarify, no one is suggesting he drill the hub bore larger. It’s the outer face of the wheel that has a smaller hole to fit the little push in centre cap. The is no harm in enlarging the outer hole to fit the hangar

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why not, its just a smaller rim size, the tires are still the same height.
And its called an emergency "spare" for a reason.

Because the temp spare cannot handle the load of a trailer, esp. if it is on the rear.

The stock temp spare is also a bit too short for 20's but it is meant to cover the stock 20's and 17's.
It is 32.4" tall vs. the 33" for the 20's. It will work but there are better options.

Like the 32.7" for my LT285/70/17 spare tire on the stock aluminum spare rim :)
Can handle any load I throw at it and is a perfect size for a slightly worn 275/60/20 tire - and most flats occur on worn tires, not all but most.

Craigslist is a good source for cheap chrome clad 20's.

BigWhiteSnake

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine
Because the temp spare cannot handle the load of a trailer, esp. if it is on the rear.

The stock temp spare is also a bit too short for 20's but it is meant to cover the stock 20's and 17's.
It is 32.4" tall vs. the 33" for the 20's. It will work but there are better options.

Like the 32.7" for my LT285/70/17 spare tire on the stock aluminum spare rim :)
Can handle any load I throw at it and is a perfect size for a slightly worn 275/60/20 tire - and most flats occur on worn tires, not all but most.

Craigslist is a good source for cheap chrome clad 20's.

Put the spare on the front and then put that one on the back.

Hawk1775

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 - SPORT, 4x4, Quad Cab, 6.4' Bed
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Liter with MOPAR Cold Air Intake & Hood Scoop
My 2010 Sport w/factory 20s has a steel 17" factory spare.
Now you got me wondering about two things for the morning; do I have a 20" wheel on my '13 Sport or a 17"? But, do I want to get soaked looking into this. It's supposed to rain for the next 6 days. LOL