Can you activate your backup camera through the more+ button on Uconnect 3.5?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
I have a uconnect 3.0 with the 5 inch screen. I've downloaded another video from a guy that has the same problem that I do. When you press the More+ button it gives you the more features screen. It shows a backup camera icon. It lets you press it just like the other buttons on that screen. But nothing happens. I'd like to upload a 30 second clip of that video here to just show the issue but this site won't allow an mp4 video upload. I've included a picture of him pressing the rear camera button on the screen.

Has anyone got this working where they can press the backup camera button and the backup camera actually activates?

Otherwise, why is there a backup camera button on the More+ screen?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

RearCameraTroubleShoot2.JPG

Here is the complete video. +More button with Rear camera Starts at 6:43

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave2018

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Just got off the phone with driveuconnect.com customer service. They stepped me through a soft reboot. No change. The customer service rep believes that when you press the backup camera button on the touch screen, it should activate the backup camera. I told him that it works normally when I put the truck in reverse, but nothing happens when I press the button on the screen. Other than a momentary highlight of the button and a soft beep to acknowledge the button press.

He has given me a case number and told me to contact my ram dealership to have them look at it. He did confirm that my firmware is currently uptodate.

Hope somebody else here has gone through this already. I hate being the first one with this question.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
All I get is clock or temp, no cam option. DAng it, forgot to get the version numbers

20190408_222737.jpg

OP
OP
Dave2018

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Is it possible that there is a pickup-bed box camera option from the factory? One that mounts in the top high rear brake light housing above the rear window? Maybe it's for that and not the one on the tailgate?

Does anyone have the upper brakelight camera / bed camera option if there is such a thing?

If that's true, it would explain why the button is there. Just thinking outloud...

The button on the screen is labeled rear camera. Got me thinking...

RearCameraTroubleShoot3.JPG

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/cargo-camera.115398/#post-1990794

I found this thread about a cargo camera here. I'm still wondering if that's what that button is for. Haven't seen anyone using the Uconnect 3.0 5" screen with it though.

Last edited:

Eng50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.6l
I can address part of this issue..I spoke with the very knowledgeable folks at Ram Upfitter (Factory folks that customize usually heavier trucks for specific application). My question was the same as yours, is the any way possible to have the camera accessible on demand. The guy I spoke with was very familiar and stated for liability reasons there is no way to do so from Ram, however...
If your willing to purchase the PAC CH41 adapter and install it inline with your radio, plug and play, it will give you additional inputs and outputs, and the ability to turn whatever you want on demand by pressing and holding the left arrow on the steering wheel.
This same adapter gives you trigger wires that are also programmable..I used one to turn on a rear set of bumper lights both in reverse and when the rear camera is forced on that is run to one of the aux switches so they can be disabled for inspection etc...

All this plug and play and small setup time in DIC using existing buttons to program the features you want on and when..

Long story short best purchase for my truck so far bar none...waiting on 8.4 screen radio now and when that works with the PAC CH41 I'll be in heaven...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Eng50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.6l
Also you should see an option, I have forgotten where it is on radio in settings that says something hopeful like "leave camera on" what that does is leaves rear camera on for like 15 sec or until you reach like 10 mph...

Another plug for the PAC adapter...I have mine setup so when ever I put on my turn signal it gives me the rear image for like 5 seconds if you do the touch signal not all the way engaged...or comes on and stays on when the signal is fully active and goes off when the signal deactivates after your turn...it's really nice verification no one is in that blind spot especially when towing a trailer..

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if i got you correctly you have no cam, and ant to add one?

if so the dealer can add the sales code so the input is activated. or you can use an adapter like stated above.

The dealer added sales code doesnt allow you to view it in motion though.

Eng50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.6l
Not 100% sure but if you get the PAC adapter you can add cam wherever or more than one and pretty certain you won't need dealer activation as it has programing in it already to activate whatever cam or output on whatever conditions you want...if that makes sense...

You can call me if you want to talk about it I'm available most anytime..

OP
OP
Dave2018

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
So if i got you correctly you have no cam, and ant to add one?

if so the dealer can add the sales code so the input is activated. or you can use an adapter like stated above.

The dealer added sales code doesnt allow you to view it in motion though.

No, I have the factory backup camera which works when I go into reverse on the 5 inch display. I'm trying to find out what the 'rear camera' button is for on the 5 inch display. It dosen't do anything when you press it. Just momentary flash and a soft beep through the system. If it can be used for say a cargo camera? or another way to activate the camera on the tailgate handle. Thats what I'm trying to understand. Thanks for your comment

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is an option for a cargo camera. Its in the 3rd brake light. CHSML or something or other. You can purchase an oem one with the cam. Whether the wiring is there for it is another story. But I believe that button is for a cargo camera. You prob already have the sales code for it, just not the actual camera unit.

Eng50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.6l
There is no way to activate factory rear camera, at least while moving unless in reverse or by adding the PAC adapter..as far as the cargo cam I am not as familiar with that and best if you get others thoughts on that..sounds like it may be possible, I do know you can also use that with the PAC adapter whenever you like as well...

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There is no way to activate factory rear camera, at least while moving unless in reverse or by adding the PAC adapter..as far as the cargo cam I am not as familiar with that and best if you get others thoughts on that..sounds like it may be possible, I do know you can also use that with the PAC adapter whenever you like as well...

With the 8.4 radio you can activate the reverse camera while driving. It is a soft button similar to the one referenced in the original post. It will stay on for about 15 seconds while driving. I’m not sure why his radio displays the soft key for it, doesn’t do anything.

Eng50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.6l
The 5" radio doesnt do that..I think that's the radio he referenced..the 8.4 is a whole different animal..that's one of the reasons I upgraded! (And still use the PAC adapter, as I love the camera coming on when I signal and see my blind spot)

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The 5" radio doesnt do that..I think that's the radio he referenced..the 8.4 is a whole different animal..that's one of the reasons I upgraded! (And still use the PAC adapter, as I love the camera coming on when I signal and see my blind spot)

Correct. I referenced the 8.4 radio to point out that ram trucks do in fact have a backup camera on demand feature. My 2017 came with the same radio he has, and it did not have that soft key. It is long gone now, but somewhere along the line there must have been an update to the 5.0 to add that soft key with the intention of backup camera on demand. It can’t be for the cargo camera because it’s not a factory option with the 5.0. I’m curious why they added the on demand soft key without the functionality. Might be a setting in the bcm that still needs to be enabled with the alfaobd.

OP
OP
Dave2018

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Thanks for all your thoughts guys. I guess this will be a mystery unsolved. I was hoping that someone else had already found the answer.

OP
OP
Dave2018

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
New Information on my question about the rear camera button. On the 2020 Tradesman truck, check this Fast Lane Truck Video. Its for an ecodiesel but it has my uconnect system. It is shown working on the 2020 tradesman with the rear camera button pressed. It activates the rear camera while you are driving down the road! Cool!

Now if there was a way to make it work on mine...

2020EcoDieselUConnect5RearCamera.JPG

2020EcoDieselUConnect5RearCamera2.JPG

2020EcoDieselUConnect5RearCamera3.JPG

2020EcoDieselUConnect5RearCamera4.JPG

kelly63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 ***

Wrong my friend has 2019 tradesmen with 5” screen with icon and he can turn it on whiledriving

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Wrong my friend has 2019 tradesmen with 5” screen with icon and he can turn it on whiledriving
For information sake... 4th gen 19 classic ok the new 5th gen 19 body style?

M² Mods.

OP
OP
Dave2018

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Does anyone know if the new alfaodb software will allow you to turn on this 'feature' on a classic? From what I gather, the 18-19 classic are the same truck.

I'd also like to know what the option might be called. I've been considering an alfaodb setup for my personal use but needed something really appealing to get me off the fence.

Thanks!

https://www.ramforum.com/attachments/2020ecodieseluconnect5rearcamera3-jpg.181455/

https://www.ramforum.com/attachments/2020ecodieseluconnect5rearcamera4-jpg.181456/