Can't clear code...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel
Evening all. I got a "Perform Service" message the other day, so hooked up the OBDLink MX+ and got a P2560-00 Engine Coolant Level Low. Topped off the coolant and now the code won't clear, even after several attempts in OBDLink MX+ and engine restarts.

Am I missing something obvious?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

OP
OP
R

Raife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone?

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Try disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes, then reconnecting. Might reboot your system. I don't know if you will lose your radio pre-sets, though.

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is your OBDLink able to get around the security module? Most aftermarket code readers need a 12+8 cable to clear codes on Chryslers built after 2018.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
If the ECM still sees the fault condition it isn't going to clear for longer than it takes to re-identify the fault condition.

Coolant level is generally just a resistance style immersion switch. Find it and unplug it, and clear the fault. If you get a coolant level open circuit fault but no low coolant fault, the sensor likely needs to be cleaned or changed.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Is your OBDLink able to get around the security module? Most aftermarket code readers need a 12+8 cable to clear codes on Chryslers built after 2018.
I use a cheap $20 code reader to clear codes on my wifes 2019 Challenger all the time with no issues.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Some codes can't be cleared on 2018+ trucks due to the security module. I dont see why coolant level would be one of them, but it could be. Does it clear and come back or not clear at all? Most likely you can't clear the fault because the ECM is still reading low coolant feedback.

Either way, your OBD link can monitor a lot of PID's. Go to the dashboard, set up a PID for coolant level, and see if it reads good. I bet it doesn't. 99% of codes will clear as soon as the ECM gets enough good counts to convince itself the problem is rectified. You can dig deeper and see what the measured sensor supply voltage and feedback voltage are, and compare that to the nominal value, generally 3.3 volts or so for a 0-5v resistive sensor that is happy.

OP
OP
R

Raife

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone. I'll do some more digging. As a note i have the bypass module installed fire AlfaOBD.