Cant quite tell if misfire or what might be going on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Earl Carothers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Small Block Mopar Magnum
I got a 94 ram with the 5.9L, have had a little work done to it, nothing major, rebuild, bored .030 over, bigger cam, bigger throttle body, aftermarket ecu/pcm, cold air intake, 180 thermostat, few other general upgrades, nothing all too major.

So he few things I've noticed, when I;m driving it, it almost feels as if it's 'catching' on something, or a feeling of hitting gravel when driving on a perfectly level and smooth road, it doesn't do it constantly or all the time is the thing. It is mostly noticeable if driving about 55mph+ and i take it out of OD, it will begin to stutter is what it seems like, I've even heard a metallic sounding noise a few times, no engine lights have been thrown at me. It'll do it in OD as well sometimes, just not nearly as bad or much as it would be if i switch it into 3rd. Wondering if it is a misfire, I need to take it and get it fuel synced somewhere due to the bigger cam, crank sensor, or if it might be a transmission problem.

If anyone have some leads or ideas that i might be able to follow, let me know, I would greatly appreciate it. Family truck, just trying to keep it going and keep it in the family, almost 400k miles on the old boy. engine rebuilt less than 25k ago

OP
OP
E

Earl Carothers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Found out my cam is causing issues with the fuel injection sync, just need to have timing adjusted

Austin-591500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 x2
Engine
5.9 Magnum, 5.9 24v Cummins Turbo Diesel
I got a 94 ram with the 5.9L, have had a little work done to it, nothing major, rebuild, bored .030 over, bigger cam, bigger throttle body, aftermarket ecu/pcm, cold air intake, 180 thermostat, few other general upgrades, nothing all too major.
you and i have different views of whats major work...

OP
OP
E

Earl Carothers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got it taken care of, misfire in intake. Just needed to turn the distributor a little.