Car play

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aatk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone know how to turn it off?
Between it taking over the voice control and turning off xm it’s driving me nuts.
I want my phone plugged in to charge. I’ll bluetooth the phone if I need it.

Don_T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can go to settings on your phone and disable CarPlay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

aatk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doesn’t work when hard wired. Only Bluetooth.

Don_T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone know how to turn it off?
Between it taking over the voice control and turning off xm it’s driving me nuts.
I want my phone plugged in to charge. I’ll bluetooth the phone if I need it.
Maybe I don’t understand your question. When I plug my phone in for charging all it does is charge unless I push the CarPlay soft button. If I disable CarPlay on my phone I can’t do anything but charge by plugging the phone in. The only way I can get the voice on the phone to do anything is to push and hold the steering wheel button. By just pushing the releasing the steering wheel button I get the Uconnect voice.

There is a setting in the Audio section settings on Uconnect that enables autoplay from the phone when you plug it in. Maybe that is enabled. If so you can disable it and then XM will stay on when you plug the phone in.

OP
OP
A

aatk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You don’t understand my question because your experience differs.

When I plug in the phone to charge, it switches to CarPlay.
CarPlay is turned off in the phone. But that only turns off Bluetooth - it still switches when one attaches a cable.

Since Ram in their infinite wisdom don’t support Waze I have no use for CarPlay. But I can’t turn the damn thing off. I went through all the uconnect settings I could find and saw nothing that would let me turn it off. Any time I touch the phone when it’s plugged in. CarPlay. Any time I plug it in. CarPlay. I get an email. CarPlay. It’s driving me nuts.

Don_T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is interesting as I could not get CarPlay to work on mine until I enabled it on my phone. I use Waze on my CarPlay all the time. That is really the only reason I use CarPlay.

I also don’t understand the CarPlay voice taking over the system. On mine I push and release the steering wheel button and I get Uconnect. I have to hold the button to get the CarPlay voice.

Bondzai

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don’t understand my question because your experience differs.

When I plug in the phone to charge, it switches to CarPlay.
CarPlay is turned off in the phone. But that only turns off Bluetooth - it still switches when one attaches a cable.

Since Ram in their infinite wisdom don’t support Waze I have no use for CarPlay. But I can’t turn the damn thing off. I went through all the uconnect settings I could find and saw nothing that would let me turn it off. Any time I touch the phone when it’s plugged in. CarPlay. Any time I plug it in. CarPlay. I get an email. CarPlay. It’s driving me nuts.

2 things...

1. Waze does work on CarPlay.

2. If you want to just charge without CarPlay use the USB in the center console, that's where I make my kids plug in.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2 things...

1. Waze does work on CarPlay.

2. If you want to just charge without CarPlay use the USB in the center console, that's where I make my kids plug in.

Ditto................

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ jealous, lol ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:joke:

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I plug the phone into one of the two ports under the radio, car play automatically turns on. I can use Waze if need be and if not, I can shutoff car play from the phone and the phone will charge as normal. If I just want to charge without the hassle of car play, I plug into the port in the console.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I plug the phone into one of the two ports under the radio, car play automatically turns on. I can use Waze if need be and if not, I can shutoff car play from the phone and the phone will charge as normal. If I just want to charge without the hassle of car play, I plug into the port in the console.

100% Ditto. Yes Waze works but I do not use it. I just use the nav thru I-Phone/Car Play, OK for me, but then I do not travel far either. I usually just plug into console, unless I want to get fancy and talk thru messages, and have them read back and such, but that lil gem is reserved for Long Trips. Helps having an I Phone 11, a lot better set up and integrates well with the RAM. My I Phone 5S was a bear, lmao...

U can also use the CarPlay thru Bluetooth in truck if U so desire to do all that, but it is a lot easier to just plug into front USB. I keep 2 lighting cords (Apple) plugged in. 1 to the front for car play and one to console ref just charge. Just easier that way. I am a firm believer in the KISS principal: Keep It Simple Stupid...I do not like the phone interface on the Carplay, I just use Bluetooth for phone pairing, but than that is my preference.

Last edited: