Cargo Lights On While In Reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2STAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I know, my second post and it's a question, but one I'm hoping someone can help with and/or wants to do themselves. I have a 2016 Ram 3500 and want to modify it so that when I put it in reverse the cargo lights also come on. I had a GMC Sierra that I was able to do the same thing on by putting a diode between the reverse driver and cargo light driver so they would both come on while in reverse but not activating the reverse lights when I had the cargo lights on by themselves. I've found a couple diagrams that show the BCM pins as 29 and 30 for reverse and cargo lights but I'm not sure what connector they are referring to (I'm sure I can figure it out when I get there). I wanted to verify that those are in fact the correct pins for my year as I don't have wiring diagrams as well as see if anyone has done this before or if there is another location easier to get to to do the same thing. Yes I completely realize I can just press the button but the simplicity of it being automatic is what I'm after. Thank you in advance!

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You could grab power from the 7 way trailer plug harness, there may be better ways but this would work.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Possibility to throw errors as I believe these are monitored on the CANBUS. I wonder if there is an option in ALFAOBD that could set this option in the BCM?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
2STAR

2STAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Possibility to throw errors as I believe these are monitored on the CANBUS. I wonder if there is an option in ALFAOBD that could set this option in the BCM?

I went through ever BCM option I could tonight on Alfa and couldn’t find anything. I’ll probably eat the bullet and buy the wiring diagrams so I can get the BCM pin out or see if there are connectors near the parking brake I could try it at to see if it throws codes.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
On the seven pin trailer connector is everything needed wire wise just have to route the wires where they need to go. Also this shouldn’t effect anything else.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm sorta wondering why someone would want the cargo lights to turn on when in reverse? Don't see how the cargo lights add much in the way of useful light for backing up.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
OP
OP
2STAR

2STAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
On the seven pin trailer connector is everything needed wire wise just have to route the wires where they need to go. Also this shouldn’t effect anything else.

I’m not understanding how this is going to work, the 7 pin doesn’t connect my reverse output to my cargo lights at all...
I'm sorta wondering why someone would want the cargo lights to turn on when in reverse? Don't see how the cargo lights add much in the way of useful light for backing up.
it’s actually useful, I had it on my last truck and loved it. Regardless, it’s what I want to do...

If you get the right bulbs they can be pretty useful. These really light up the night, I have them in cargo and reverse locations...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L3M9OR...imm_7PYBCH5HD4KWEZCG5XWR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I actually have Diode Dynamics LED’s in my cargo and reverse lights, I’ve been using their products for years. A bit pricier but they stand by their product for sure and have a great warranty as well as being super bright!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I’m not understanding how this is going to work, the 7 pin doesn’t connect my reverse output to my cargo lights at all...
it’s actually useful, I had it on my last truck and loved it. Regardless, it’s what I want to do...

I actually have Diode Dynamics LED’s in my cargo and reverse lights, I’ve been using their products for years. A bit pricier but they stand by their product for sure and have a great warranty as well as being super bright!
They are telling you can use the reverse wire in the 7 pin connector to tap into and energize your cargo lamps in reverse. People often tap there to add additional reverse lights (myself included)...

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Take it to an independent shop,have them do the work. Or find a friend to give a hand. The seven pin trailer is labeled at the bumper on the cover of the wiring hook up.

OP
OP
2STAR

2STAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Take it to an independent shop,have them do the work. Or find a friend to give a hand. The seven pin trailer is labeled at the bumper on the cover of the wiring hook up.
I get what you’re saying but that doesn’t seem like the best way to go about this. Staying in the cab and using diodes will be better in my opinion and require way less wiring than going from the 7 pin to the cargo light. I’m an electronics technician so I don’t need a hand really, I need the BCM pin out or wiring diagrams for under the dash. The two pins on the BCM of an earlier year are right next to each other so I’m just wanting to make sure it’s the same. Most likely I’ll pull the dash apart and just use my meter to find the pins and give it a go.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Try here, it's the connector repair site and if you can hunt for the right connector it will even give you the color codes. kinda a reverse wiring diagram

http://connectors.dcctools.com/home.htm

http://connectors.dcctools.com/details.htm?id=178147
PIN 5 L19 0.8 TN/WT CARGO LAMP DRIVER

http://connectors.dcctools.com/details.htm?id=178151
PIN 1 L16 0.8 WT/OR RIGHT BACKUP LAMP DRIVER
PIN 30 L14 0.8 WT/TN CARGO LAMP DRIVER

http://connectors.dcctools.com/details.htm?id=178152
PIN 6 L14 0.8 WT/TN CARGO LAMP DRIVER

http://connectors.dcctools.com/details.htm?id=178153
PIN 16 L915 0.5 TN CARGO LAMP SWITCH SIGNAL

Last edited: