Cargo lights turning on randomly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Waggs160

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have a 2018 ram v6.
I live in sw Fl and had to drive through water up to my doors to get to work. After the storm I noticed the lights would turn on about a minute after I locked the doors. I checked everything that you would normally think of. A door ajar. The button pressed on but it’s none of those things. So after a few days it stopped but now it will turn on when I’m driving. Sometimes it turns on and stays on sometimes it turns on then turns off on its own. Other times it flickers. Today leaving work I was walking to my truck and saw they were on but then they turned off. Before I could get my keys out of my bag they turned on again.
I’m assuming there’s a short somewhere.
Can one point me in the right direction please I don’t want to come out to a dead battery one morning. I’ve been disconnecting the battery and it’s becoming a pain.

FIXED! Just posting incase someone else runs into the same issue.
So being that the truck didn’t come with an owners manual when I bought it I didn’t even think to look at one. So anyway I was looking at on online and saw that there was a switch in the bed for the lights. I had no clue. I bedlined the truck and must have never noticed it. So the problem was the rubber seal on the bed side of the switch had a crack in it and water was sitting inside the switch. I unplugged it and problem solved. Now to get an aftermarket one because the oem is over priced.

Last edited:

Britton720

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hello,

I found your post here after searching diligently for a solution to a similar problem. I've had a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Warlock for 3 years now. Recently there have been occasions where I unlock and enter my truck to find the battery dead. During those instances I see that the bed cargo light indicator on my dash is on. I boost the battery to start the truck and push the button near my headlight controls to turn off the cargo lights.

I have disconnected the button located in the bed of my truck and confirmed it no longer operates, but am still having this issue.

Any other ideas to try to solve this problem?

Pattatat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2018 Ram, exact same issue as you Britton. I've checked the switch in the bed. Mine looked brand new, no water in it. Not sure what to check next.

raggdoll

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie, 2018 Sport, 2021 3500 6.7, 2014 Sport, 2021 Classic Night Express
Engine
hemi 5.7
Any updates?

Ricky Herring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
it happens to me all the time, my knee hits the cargo light button on the headlight switch, turning on the light without me knowing it, BAD Design!

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2018 ram v6.
I live in sw Fl and had to drive through water up to my doors to get to work. After the storm I noticed the lights would turn on about a minute after I locked the doors. I checked everything that you would normally think of. A door ajar. The button pressed on but it’s none of those things. So after a few days it stopped but now it will turn on when I’m driving. Sometimes it turns on and stays on sometimes it turns on then turns off on its own. Other times it flickers. Today leaving work I was walking to my truck and saw they were on but then they turned off. Before I could get my keys out of my bag they turned on again.
I’m assuming there’s a short somewhere.
Can one point me in the right direction please I don’t want to come out to a dead battery one morning. I’ve been disconnecting the battery and it’s becoming a pain.

FIXED! Just posting incase someone else runs into the same issue.
So being that the truck didn’t come with an owners manual when I bought it I didn’t even think to look at one. So anyway I was looking at on online and saw that there was a switch in the bed for the lights. I had no clue. I bedlined the truck and must have never noticed it. So the problem was the rubber seal on the bed side of the switch had a crack in it and water was sitting inside the switch. I unplugged it and problem solved. Now to get an aftermarket one because the oem is over priced.

Thanks for posting solution for all to see.