Carven: The King of Drone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cpotts13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honestly this exhaust isnt loud by any stretch of the imagination, and sounds perfect on start up and driving around.

But at 1500 RPM the drone is unbearable. I am trying to give it some time, to see how the muffler breaks in, but dang its bad.

For reference this is the Progressive series, on a 2017 1500, 8spd with 3.21 gears. It just so happens to drone terrible at 70-75 mph and when MDS kicks in.

Im thankful I kept the oem muffler...

For those that have this muffler, does the drone ever get better?

OP
OP
C

cpotts13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does anyone have experience with the mufflex j pipe? Supposed to reduce drone.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
any aftermarket exhaust is going to have drone/rumble with the MDS. I always click my +/- and drive in D8. I have the direct fit flowmaster american thunder and love it. I have mild drone but doesnt bother me at all. At 70 mph, its fine too.

I was looking to swap out my flowmaster for the carven progressive bc my flow master is rusting like a *****.....but i have seen more of these threads about the people not liking the carven.....

OP
OP
C

cpotts13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
any aftermarket exhaust is going to have drone/rumble with the MDS. I always click my +/- and drive in D8. I have the direct fit flowmaster american thunder and love it. I have mild drone but doesnt bother me at all. At 70 mph, its fine too.

I was looking to swap out my flowmaster for the carven progressive bc my flow master is rusting like a *****.....but i have seen more of these threads about the people not liking the carven.....

Im no stanger to exhaust drone. My previous car was a mach 1 wit longtubes, catless x pipe and a borla catback.

I do realize it will always be there, just looking to reduce it.

Iggy4935

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m about to order the carven R type for my truck. I’m expecting there to be drone. But how bad are we talking here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I was really looking hard at the Carven, but ended up ordering a Borla XR1 in hopes it would have less drone but give me the desired effect under acceleration

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put the gear selector in 8 on the interstate. That will keep the truck out of mds & keep the drone down. Most aftermarket mufflers will drone w/ mds on

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Mine does it but its not bad at all and hits on my tach at 1600,1700 rpms, all it takes is going up or down 100rpm and it stops as its a small window.
I always turn the mds off though as it sounds like **** when it comes on with a loud muffler.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

I beg to differ. I took a long look at mufflers before upgrading and went with the Mufflex (Magnaflow) 24" because it had great sound, but that extra length reduces the amount of drone.
I use my wife as the drone sensor. If she continues to like the exhaust sound on road trips we're good to go--and after a couple thousand miles she still does.

All kidding aside, the 24" gives nice sound at start-up and in city driving, but quiets down nicely on the freeway, except during heavy acceleration, and I consider that a benefit because it means the tree-hugging mouth breather in the Prius next to me will be cowering in fear instead of changing lanes into the gap I'm aiming for. :burnout:

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
xxxx
So is driving late at night with the heater turned up to full and crappy music on:....tires squealing, sickening thump, sound of piece hitting the ground.

Not sure what you are talking about but ok.....

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Being mesmerized by drone is a good way to wake up in the hospital.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love my Carven Exhaust. I have the progressive series with the 5” Carven Black tips. Many folks have complained about drone, but I don’t ever notice it. I’m either cruising with the windows down, sun roof open, and listening music, or talking with the wife and kids in the truck.

Carven install video with sounds:
Carven 5” Tips video with sounds:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

cpotts13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have found that if I keep it out of 8th on the highway, it is all good. All other driving is good by me, just the dang 70-75mph on the highway!

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I have the carvan competitor. Yeah the drone is horrible when MDS kicks in. But what do you expect when running on 4 cylinders? Lol. If you turn MDS off, it just sounds like any other truck with an exhaust, not bad at all.

Try dailying my Evo X. Built motor, big turbo, no cats, straight exhaust. Surge tank in the trunk and a massive aeromotive external fuel pump.

It's like being stuck in the middle of a robot ****. with all the whining, buzzing and clicking going on hahaha.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine sounds great doesn't bother me at all. Pedal commander actually helped with the mds noise