Catalytic converter issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jdk0423

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have a 2007 1500 with the 5.7. Was throwing a code for a misfire and p0430 p0300. Also had the check gas cap light even thought I’ve changed the gas cap and canister. The code would come on and off but I knew something wasn’t right. One day it was struggling for power and to see what it would do I hammered on the gas and immediately the engine light came on and it started stalling out anytime I’d accelerate. Took it to the shop and they said they couldn’t get it to do anything that I was saying it was. No engine light, no stalling, nothing. Went and picked it up and sure enough they were right, it ran like everything was fine. Over the next few weeks the engine light would sporadically come on and off randomly. The last work or so I haven’t had any engine light but now the last few days whether I’m in the middle of a turn or sitting at a light in idle, the truck will just shut off. I don’t know what’s going on. If it’s a bad cat, 02 sensors, something else. If anyone has any idea where I should start I’d appreciate it and sorry for the long read

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I doubt its a bad cat converter had over 200k on mine with orig cats anything is possible tho. I would have someone hook it up with good scan tool and look at the live data when it happens it could be a number of things. Fuel pump, Vacuum leak,O2 sensors, Bad gas, Injector or coil issue. How many miles on it and when is the last time it was tuned up plugs ect?

OP
OP
J

Jdk0423

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
117k I’ve had the truck less than a year not sure on plugs, thought about it but wanted to see if I should start somewhere else first

OP
OP
J

Jdk0423

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I doubt its a bad cat converter had over 200k on mine with orig cats anything is possible tho. I would have someone hook it up with good scan tool and look at the live data when it happens it could be a number of things. Fuel pump, Vacuum leak,O2 sensors, Bad gas, Injector or coil issue. How many miles on it and when is the last time it was tuned up plugs ect?
117k I’ve had the truck less than a year not sure on plugs, thought about it but wanted to see if I should start somewhere else first

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any CEL before the truck shuts off? When it shuts off, does it fire right back up or do you have to crank it for a bit for it to start?

OP
OP
J

Jdk0423

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any CEL before the truck shuts off? When it shuts off, does it fire right back up or do you have to crank it for a bit for it to start?
No CEL, truck fires right back up after it does it like nothing happened

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It doesn't run rough or miss prior to shutting off?