Catalytic converter theft prevention plate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When someone's Catalytic Converter takes a crap & won't pass the Emissions Test.
You need to get a CC fairly fast so that you can retake the Emissions Test.

I know that i would have trouble coming up with $1,600 for the CC , then Labor, etc.
So if i knew someone that just happen to have a CC up in their garage rafters, i would make them an offer & i have several friends that work in muffler shops & i know the guy that i sold my arc, mig, & oxy/acetylene equipment to, would let me use whatever i needed

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Brazen is the key word for sure. The salvage people that purchase these stolen convertors should be charged as well. I'm sure they know they are stolen, and probably give pennies on the dollar to the thieves...

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Maybe the guys lowering their trucks have the right idea. Hard to run up and steal the CC on a vehicle with 4 inches of ground clearance. ;)

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Brazen is the key word for sure. The salvage people that purchase these stolen convertors should be charged as well. I'm sure they know they are stolen, and probably give pennies on the dollar to the thieves...

In Florida they made the scrap dealers start mailing checks to people who had certain items, and items over a certain amount. Slowed down the theft for a time. And a few got busted.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There was a video on YT that a Mitsubishi dealer that had like 2 dozen suvs get nailed on the lot in the middle of the night.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's common in certain areas where I live and you're always worried about it. They are extremely fast and work as a team. If you have security cameras it only means you get to go back and watch how your converter was stolen. My buddy had his ripped off twice within a year. Got video both times but they are on to that as well and usually wear face coverings or a hooded sweatshirt. The main thing besides the converter is you just hope they don't damage other parts of the vehicle as they're cutting the converter off which also frequently happens. I think an alarm with a motion detector is your best bet. There is going to be vibration when they are cutting so the alarm should go off and hopefully scare them off. You may have a partially removed converter but you could most likely have it welded back on. It's much less likely you're going to have any issues if you live in a more rural community. They tend to target more easy pray around here. In CA we have to have "Special" converters that are C.A.R.B certified which are hard to find and sometimes double or triple the price. It's all a big racket.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
Couldn't agree more! I've seen people weld rebar as a way to block there's from getting stolen. I'm an ironworker and cut rebar every day on the job. It would take 10 seconds to cut through it. Unless of course it was a #10 or 11 bar.

A friend had his expensive Italian bike stolen in Houston in the 70s and we saw it in front of a shop a couple of months later. Took it to another friend's house and applied an arc welder with a carbon rod to the very stout lock. A tenth of a second was all it took. Locks are to keep honest people honest. If someone wants something bad enough they'll get it, as long as it's less work than a real job.

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
My buddies daughter lives in Indy. She came home for the weekend (South Bend) complaining that the exhaust on her 2009 Escape was getting loud.

Apparently these guys were not as quick as the ones in the video above - or their battery was low on charge.

Catalytic Converter.jpg

SeaSickSailor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I had six customer vehicles hit last weekend. Pretty expensive week for us.
A friend of mine had his 1995 Lexus overlanding vehicle’s CC stolen along with a Prius CC while parked outside a repair shop where he was having his radiator replaced. This was in San Jose last week. Shop said that they weren’t responsible as it was a public parking area used for the business’ in the strip mall. Where your customers’ vehicles in a private lot when hit?

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I keep hearing on the news thefts are going up and up and up, I park my car outside and it has a 2.5" front lift which I would imagine makes it easier for theft, since I can change my oil without a jack

I looked around but they seem to only sell plates for the toyota prius and honda element, any recommendations for our truck? I searched this forum and google and ebay but could not fine any plates for our car

:.jpg
The reason Prius Cats are being stolen is because they are used far less than gas only rigs and are in better shape, therefore worth more.

MN2500

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ltr ecoTorque
That "shield" will just slow a thief down a bit, a little bit.

hirschy41

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
New member here:

I just had one of my CCs cut out and stolen this weekend as my son borrowed the truck for work. They cut out the driver side one, as it appears to be much easier to access. Anyone had any experience with the "CAT CLAMP", or any real world thoughts on its viability as a deterrant? I know it wont prevent theft, but is it enough to get them to want to move on to an easier vehicle?

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
New member here:

I just had one of my CCs cut out and stolen this weekend as my son borrowed the truck for work. They cut out the driver side one, as it appears to be much easier to access. Anyone had any experience with the "CAT CLAMP", or any real world thoughts on its viability as a deterrant? I know it wont prevent theft, but is it enough to get them to want to move on to an easier vehicle?

Welcome to RamForum, sorry that happened to you.

RWlRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
1994 4X4 - Replaced 12-31-17 with '04 1500 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi.....wow what a difference 10 years makes.....
The main reason for CAT theft is NOT replacements.
It's for the rare metals inside, platinum, palladium, and rhodium.
In my area they just caught $8K worth of stolen CATS a couple weeks ago.
Since it seems to be at a peak right now they police are on top of it and catching quite a few.
It's costing owners at least $1K to replace them on many cars.
Down in Anaheim and Carson the theft level is so high that the police departments have setup Etch and Catch events for owners to bring in their vehicles and on the spot they get their VIN numbers etched onto the vehicle CATS.
I saw it on the news the other day and there must have been 50+ cars lined up to have it done.
I'll bet the insurance companies really like this idea.
Even vehicles take revenge on losing their parts:
Prius takes revenge on CAT thief!

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
People have CATs on their trucks. :p .