Catastrophic Engine Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It’s a cost deduction for FCA to save some money on repairs they may not want to cover anyways and still offer the customer the same coverage on power trains that the rest of industry is offering. It makes good business sense but it doesn’t always look good from the customer side when they would be within warranty in at least 1 way. I think that’s why they’re offering the 50%. It sucks and I doubt they will make it any sweeter even if he asked for a manager at Customer Service. Sorry man. Might want to check at a couple of reputable shops to see if their prices are any less??

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s a cost deduction for FCA to save some money on repairs they may not want to cover anyways and still offer the customer the same coverage on power trains that the rest of industry is offering. It makes good business sense but it doesn’t always look good from the customer side when they would be within warranty in at least 1 way. I think that’s why they’re offering the 50%. It sucks and I doubt they will make it any sweeter even if he asked for a manager at Customer Service. Sorry man. Might want to check at a couple of reputable shops to see if their prices are any less??

IMHO need to figure out just what happened. Out of warranty or not, if he can prove a bad oil change was the cause, 100% of it should be on the dealer. The problem will be proving that, of course, but its worth digging deeper into the failure mode first.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemmy
I would really like to know what caused the thing to lock up. I’ve had engines the the timing jumped and caused the piston to hit open valves. Broke 1 valve off pushed it through the head piston broke at pin which caused the pin to go through the cyl wall, The engine would still run just had no power to speak of. The only engine I ever had that locked up had 290k on it and the main bearings spun on the crank, but it started making noise as I was driving on the interstate at 70 mph. I pulled over shut it off and it was locked up solid. So when you know what your problem is please post

Last edited:

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Edit: nevemind. Ram lowered the powertrain warranty to 60k for 2016 models from 100k in 2015. Super lame. Complain to ram cares.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I dont' get it. I didn't read the whole thread, but your 2016 powertrain warranty should be 5 years 100k miles. Wouldn't you fall within this? I have a late build 2015 that's still under powertrain warranty.
2016 went to 60k miles. He’s expired by odometer.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 6000 hes over,50% =good faith?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I'd get a quote and check locally. I wouldn't be surprised if half price at the dealership is still more than your local mechanic can do it for. Just a though. Sorry about that. Really a phocked situation.

OP
OP
Whiteramsmatter

Whiteramsmatter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My god that is depressing, i have a 16 with 10k miles, i took another warranty out till 2026, its also certified powertrain till 100k
How much is a new engine costing?
Somewhere in the $6K range

OP
OP
Whiteramsmatter

Whiteramsmatter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its interesting it happened shortly after an oil change.

Is there any evidence of an oil leak?

I know they drained and checked it but A) did you see the oil for yourself? and B) how much drained out?

Is it possible they are CYA-ing a messed up oil change?
No evidence of a leak. I didn't see the oil for myself. From what I was told it was what it should have been volume wise, not that it means too much since I didn't see it for myself.

ClassicRacer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
No evidence of a leak. I didn't see the oil for myself. From what I was told it was what it should have been volume wise, not that it means too much since I didn't see it for myself.
I'm not saying this happened to you but there are times where the techs are either overloaded or they are just evil and they don't actually change the oil but they always bill for it. Some techs work strictly by the hour and some work by book hours. If it were me I would use the advice from another here and try and push this up another level and possibly ask for the engine cost to be completely reimburse and go 50/50 on labor. And I would also want to see this engine opened up.

Eds34pc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a Twitter account and post this info. Ram Cares couldn't care less about what you post here. Watch for an increase in 1500's for sale with 50k or less.
66k?? Ridiculous..