Catastrophic Engine Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whiteramsmatter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, this is an odd one, I have a '16 Ram with the 5.7L with 66K miles on it. My truck is primarily a people carrier, with occasional trailer tows and pulling stuck vehicles out of ditches. Two weeks ago the engine locked up solid when I was driving down the street. No noises, rattles, bangs, nothing, it just shut down. The dealership verified that it is seized by trying to crank it by hand. The oil was drained and no metallic flakes or pieces were found and the oil had just been changed at 65K miles. I called Chrysler Care, the best they seem to have offered was half coverage of the engine replacement, and was basically told that this is a perfectly acceptable amount of miles before something happens. Along with if I ask for a rental or service loaner while the truck is in the shop, that will subtract from the amount of help the care manager is willing to help me with on the truck. Are my hands tied on this one or is there another avenue to follow I don't know about?

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
As much as the situation sucks, from a legality standpoint they’re not obligated to do anything. They’re well within their rights to tell you to go buy a hammer, get a ride to the beach (since you can’t drive their on your own), take the hammer, and pound sand. Not that it’s an ideal fix, but you might just have to accept half the help and move along, it’s an additional half than they’re obligated to provide. If they’ve opened a Star case, which it sounds like they have, you’ve really explored all helpful options.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So, this is an odd one, I have a '16 Ram with the 5.7L with 66K miles on it. My truck is primarily a people carrier, with occasional trailer tows and pulling stuck vehicles out of ditches. Two weeks ago the engine locked up solid when I was driving down the street. No noises, rattles, bangs, nothing, it just shut down. The dealership verified that it is seized by trying to crank it by hand. The oil was drained and no metallic flakes or pieces were found and the oil had just been changed at 65K miles. I called Chrysler Care, the best they seem to have offered was half coverage of the engine replacement, and was basically told that this is a perfectly acceptable amount of miles before something happens. Along with if I ask for a rental or service loaner while the truck is in the shop, that will subtract from the amount of help the care manager is willing to help me with on the truck. Are my hands tied on this one or is there another avenue to follow I don't know about?
Have you spoken with the Service Manager at the dealership? Do you have a service history with the shop your truck is at?

If you have a service history at the shop ask the service manager to go to bat for you. Ask the service manager to call the zone tech and the zone warranty administrator and ask them to come to the dealership and inspect the truck. That would be my next step.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Clearly 65k miles is not an acceptable time for an engine to go, but if they are offering 1/2 off a new engine, I would jump on that. Then that part will have a 36 mos warranty I do believe?

Also, I'd act grateful at least til the engine is in.

OP
OP
Whiteramsmatter

Whiteramsmatter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you spoken with the Service Manager at the dealership? Do you have a service history with the shop your truck is at?

If you have a service history at the shop ask the service manager to go to bat for you. Ask the service manager to call the zone tech and the zone warranty administrator and ask them to come to the dealership and inspect the truck. That would be my next step.

The dealership the truck is at, is also the same one I bought the truck from. It's only ever been dealership maintained. I will give it a shot to see what can be done with the service manager.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My god that is depressing, i have a 16 with 10k miles, i took another warranty out till 2026, its also certified powertrain till 100k
How much is a new engine costing?

stevenram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man that sucks big time, had the same thing happen to my gmc envoy at 86,000 miles and gm told me to pound sand dealer who did all the service didn’t go to bat for me had to pay $6000 for a gm rebuilt motor. So fca paying half isn’t too bad

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This sucks but one reason I like the idea of my unlimited power train warranty. Granted I have to do every service at that dealer the fact I put 45k on it on the first year was justifiable to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow that really sucks and is extremely unusual to do this at such low miles.. Try to get them to find out what failed... my hemi still kickin at just over 200k miles hope you have better luck with it going forward.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its interesting it happened shortly after an oil change.

Is there any evidence of an oil leak?

I know they drained and checked it but A) did you see the oil for yourself? and B) how much drained out?

Is it possible they are CYA-ing a messed up oil change?

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Its interesting it happened shortly after an oil change.

Is there any evidence of an oil leak?

I know they drained and checked it but A) did you see the oil for yourself? and B) how much drained out?

Is it possible they are CYA-ing a messed up oil change?

My first thought also, engines with absolutely no prior issues mysteriously seizing up on their own without a sound just doesn't sound right. Not impossible, but I'd be skeptical. The hard, maybe impossible, part would be trying to prove they were negligent.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think that 2016 was the year that FCA reduced the warranty from 100,000 miles to either 50,000 or 60,000 miles. As much as I hate to say it if they have offered to pay for 50% I think that might be the best deal your going to get. You could check with a salvage yard and try to locate a lower mileage used engine and then see what a private shop would charge to install it, but you still might be over the 50% deal your dealer is offering. I think at this point your choices are somewhat limited. You could always see what they would give you on a trade for a new or used truck in stock-----I'd also want to be there when they pull the drain plug--jus say'n
Jay

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My first thought also, engines with absolutely no prior issues mysteriously seizing up on their own without a sound just doesn't sound right. Not impossible, but I'd be skeptical. The hard, maybe impossible, part would be trying to prove they were negligent.

Yeah, in this case I honestly might not want to get it towed to the servicing dealer. Have another dealer (or even better a non-dealer) take a look at it first, even if it costs you extra for a couple tows. An independent shop wouldnt have access to service records to help another dealer CYA if they used wrong filter, wrong oil, not enough oil, double gasketed, etc.

Octane

Reaction score
It’s an industry standard, don’t go searching for conspiracies where none exist.
No conspiracy.It is just that my 2013 Challenger had a 5 year 100.000 mile major powertrain warranty and now the FCA vehicles do not.