Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And i'm guessing you've never ran a catch can on a Hemi have you.Gotta love experts who've got all kinds of advice,but no real world experience on what they think they're an expert on,lol.Not even gonna dispute this with you,but you're not talking me into believing you,or taking the catch cans off my vehicles,lol.BTW take a look at the throttle body on a Hemi equipped with a can,then take a look at the throttle body on a Hemi with-out a can,then come expound your knowledge on them,lol
And i'm guessing you've never ran a catch can on a Hemi have you.Gotta love experts who've got all kinds of advice,but no real world experience on what they think they're an expert on,lol.Not even gonna dispute this with you,but you're not talking me into believing you,or taking the catch cans off my vehicles,lol.BTW take a look at the throttle body on a Hemi equipped with a can,then take a look at the throttle body on a Hemi with-out a can,then come expound your knowledge on them,lol
You are so right wild one I work on a lot of rams and the other day I cleaned the throttle body on a ram and there was so much crud on the throttle plate I showed the customer and now he wants a catch can

Last edited:

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Catch cans do virtually nothing on port injection engines like the Hemi. The vast majority of the blow-by they catch would be washed into the cylinder by the fuel injector and burned. I know it makes you feel good when you empty it, but stopping 100 ml of blow-by, give or take, between oil changes every 5000 miles is stopping like 6 ml of blow-by from getting in your intake on every tank of gas (considering you will burn about 17 tanks of gas between oil changes, give or take). And keep in mind that of these 6 ml, in the most pessimistic estimation ever, 50% (but I think it's actually like 90% or even more) is basically washed into the cylinder to get burned. Catch cans are needed on direct injection engines because the fuel injector can't wash the blow-by from the intake valve and it ends up creating carbon deposits. And you hear about blow-by reducing the fuel's octane rate a lot: come on, 6 ml (or 10, or 20 ml are a drop in the ocean for 26 gallons.
YOU ARE CLUELESS

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Mainly they will help long term. Over time the vapors collect on your intake manifold, valves, and other components. These keeps those vapors to a minimum to reduce the build up. Even with fuel washing over the valves it wont clean them fully. Daily driving you will for sure benefit from one. I have ran one on several daily drivers. They all collected a good amount of oil in them and these were all on good functioning lower mileage engines with Port Injection and only one with DI. Its a low cost investment to help keep things cleaner in your engine. I 100% feel its a worthy investment

Ok - I think I see where you buys are going with this - maybe throttle body cleaning? I haven't traced where the breather return is on these motors.

I don't want to hijack all of OP's post. Shoot me a PM with recommendation for 6.4 Ram Hemi and price, thanks.

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Wild one - your earlier post said these are beneficial for highly loaded engines, which makes sense. Everyday use for many of us is not highly loaded - just average consumer stuff. So, how is Guga's statement misleading? This confuses me.
Listen to wild one he is 100% correct i installed a billet tech and im glad I did well worth it

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Another added benefit of the catch can (I've got them on both of our 2020 Rams and have run them for the past four years) is not only for your engine but it keeps the residue off your chrome exhaust tips. I learned this by accident but the oil being burned in the engine ends up as fine carbon on the chrome tips. It all went away after my first catch can. I wasn't a big fan until I tried one from Nick at Got Exhaust...I'm a believer and have nine other Rams (friends and family) running the same thing and they too have seen the improvement on the exhaust tips. If it's doing that for the tips, imagine what is going on in the engine.

There will be those who disagree and that's fine. We can agree to disagree but for me there was no better bang for the buck.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ok - I think I see where you buys are going with this - maybe throttle body cleaning? I haven't traced where the breather return is on these motors.

I don't want to hijack all of OP's post. Shoot me a PM with recommendation for 6.4 Ram Hemi and price, thanks.

There is no off the shelf cans for the truck 6.4's,as they use an internal PCV set-up,but there's a few guys who have plumbed one into the oil filler neck,then plumbed it into the intake. It's not hard to do with a little fabbing and some fittings. Shane Roop was thinking of making up a new oil filler cap,plumbed for a catch can for the truck 6.4's,but i don't know how far he ever got.I think the biggest issue was there wasn't enough interest on the face book pages,so i think the idea has been shelved for the time being

Guga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Many variants here. You checked that throttle body after how many miles since the last cleaning? Have you considered the proportion of dirt you found there with the mileage since the last cleaning? Are the piston rings in good shape? Cleaning the throttle body is a good maintenance measure on every vehicle, with or without a catch can. I’m not against using catch cans, if you enjoy draining the blow-by, go nuts. What annoys me is treating them as “a must”, like some do. No, I never ran a catch can on any of my vehicles because I never had a direct injection engine on any of them. If I get one in the future will be my first mod on the day I get it because it’s really important on that scenario. You didn’t prove a single word of my statement wrong, just tried to disqualify it calling me an expert ironically. I just issued my opinion based on my knowledge. What do you know about me to assume my knowledge level?

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Many variants here. You checked that throttle body after how many miles since the last cleaning? Have you considered the proportion of dirt you found there with the mileage since the last cleaning? Are the piston rings in good shape? Cleaning the throttle body is a good maintenance measure on every vehicle, with or without a catch can. I’m not against using catch cans, if you enjoy draining the blow-by, go nuts. What annoys me is treating them as “a must”, like some do. No, I never ran a catch can on any of my vehicles because I never had a direct injection engine on any of them. If I get one in the future will be my first mod on the day I get it because it’s really important on that scenario. You didn’t prove a single word of my statement wrong, just tried to disqualify it calling me an expert ironically. I just issued my opinion based on my knowledge. What do you know about me to assume my knowledge level?
Give it up brother you can not change what we already know and one other point Now that it's cold out what about all the condensation the catch can is catching ? When I clean mine out it looks like muddy coffee i dont want that crud going into my intake and engine

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

LOL if you thought that was rude you don't know me. You have never had a catch can on any of your vehicles,but you still feel the need to comment with your opinion,lol. Like i said you're trying to be an expert,but you have no knowledge of the Hemi .You just backed up what i said earlier.I don't mind anybodies opinion who actually has first hand knowledge to impart,but guys like you with no hands on knowledge ,who feel the need to impart their lack of wisdom,are fair game.Go put a catch can on your Hemi truck,and come back in a months time and then give us your opinion,till then you're opinion really doesn't have a foot to stand.Go get some hands on experience with the hemi engine first,then we might value your opinion.BTW your post was a bit rude to start with,so i just returned the favour,lol

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And who told you that’s my goal? OP asked for opinions, I issued mine. I only replied to the wild one because he was rude.
I didnt think wild one was rude you were saying catch cans are useless and there not he was setting you straight because you never tried one on your ram and you shouldn't knock it without actual proof so how can you have knowledge about it?

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was
LOL if you thought that was rude you don't know me. You have never had a catch can on any of your vehicles,but you still feel the need to comment with your opinion,lol. Like i said you're trying to be an expert,but you have no knowledge of the Hemi .You just backed up what i said earlier.I don't mind anybodies opinion who actually has first hand knowledge to impart,but guys like you with no hands on knowledge ,who feel the need to impart their lack of wisdom,are fair game.Go put a catch can on your Hemi truck,and come back in a months time and then give us your opinion,till then you're opinion really doesn't have a foot to stand.Go get some hands on experience with the hemi engine first,then we might value your opinion.BTW your post was a bit rude to start with,so i just returned the favour,lol
Couldn't have said it better myself wild one :banana-mario:

Guga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know catch cans are kind of controversial on port injection engines, but I’ve never seen anyone so upset with a different opinion. Breaking news to you: I’m not alone. I’ve spoke to some certified mechanics and Ram owners about it and they share the same point of view as I do. As we saw some people that agree with you here. On direct injection engines, on the other hand, there’s no debate. I guess this shows how it’s not a must. I won’t bother naming some guys on Youtube that agree with me because you will try to disqualify them right away calling them morons or something. Live happily ever after with your catch can, I never intended to convince you of anything. My post was rude? How?

Guga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didnt think wild one was rude you were saying catch cans are useless and there not he was setting you straight because you never tried one on your ram and you shouldn't knock it without actual proof so how can you have knowledge about it?
Calling someone an expert ironically is not the same as calling them ignorant or something? Dude, you don’t need to have something to know how it works. That’s just like saying men can’t have an opinion on abortion because they don’t get pregnant. That’s not how things work in real life. The truth is: no one ran two trucks in similar enough conditions, with the same fuel, with and without a catch can and inserted a camera in the cam to measure the carbon deposits in there to say for sure if the catch can did anything. That’s where it could actually make a definitive difference. A bit of oil on the throttle body is so easy to clean it doesn’t make a difference to me since I clean my throttle body every time I change my oil filter. And what’s the problem with me saying I think they are useless? You don’t have to agree with me, but repeating that I’m wrong 1000x won’t prove anything

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Calling someone an expert ironically is not the same as calling them ignorant or something? Dude, you don’t need to have something to know how it works. That’s just like saying men can’t have an opinion on abortion because they don’t get pregnant. That’s not how things work in real life. The truth is: no one ran two trucks in similar enough conditions, with the same fuel, with and without a catch can and inserted a camera in the cam to measure the carbon deposits in there to say for sure if the catch can did anything. That’s where it could actually make a definitive difference. A bit of oil on the throttle body is so easy to clean it doesn’t make a difference to me since I clean my throttle body every time I change my oil filter. And what’s the problem with me saying I think they are useless? You don’t have to agree with me, but repeating that I’m wrong 1000x won’t prove anything
Give it up brother im a auto tech for over 20 years I work on a lot of rams and I see the difference in the throttle bodys without catch cans and when I remove the intakes oil pours out so you keep cleaning your throttle body cause I dont have to and my engine doesn't have to burn all that crud and like I said now that its cold out add condensation to what's going into your intake and engine

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
The drama i just love it. [emoji23] [emoji897]Like watching dogs fight over a bone.

First off if catch cans didn't work they wouldn't exist, secondly if they didn't work I wouldn't have nasty **** that comes out of it that looks like a double double coffee.... It's straight up nasty. It's oil byproduct and originally engines were NOT designed to suck this into the intake it was free air vented until the stupid tree huggers implemented emissions regulations.

I get so much water and coffee looking acidic crap out of mine. I empty it out about every 200 miles and I sure am thankful for it. Also keep in mind if you are burning that crap in your engine you are lowering your octane and causing carbon buildup....

I beleive in real life results not opinions.
Wildone is being nice don't push buttons. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
There is no off the shelf cans for the truck 6.4's,as they use an internal PCV set-up,but there's a few guys who have plumbed one into the oil filler neck,then plumbed it into the intake. It's not hard to do with a little fabbing and some fittings. Shane Roop was thinking of making up a new oil filler cap,plumbed for a catch can for the truck 6.4's,but i don't know how far he ever got.I think the biggest issue was there wasn't enough interest on the face book pages,so i think the idea has been shelved for the time being

Thanks Wild one. I had read some weird stuff about the 6.4, but hadn't caught the PCV is internal. Do you know if it has a replaceable foam filter somewhere? I googled, but could not find anything.

I wonder why Chrysler created different breather routing on 6.4 than 5.7? Was there a cold temp icing problem? We had this problem on Ford V10's at work - their external breather routing was esp. exposed to cold ambient air. Couldn't get Ford to redesign, so we added an in-line resistance heater element. These breathers would freeze shut in cold ambient, then engine would lose power and shut down.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks Wild one. I had read some weird stuff about the 6.4, but hadn't caught the PCV is internal. Do you know if it has a replaceable foam filter somewhere? I googled, but could not find anything.

I wonder why Chrysler created different breather routing on 6.4 than 5.7? Was there a cold temp icing problem? We had this problem on Ford V10's at work - their external breather routing was esp. exposed to cold ambient air. Couldn't get Ford to redesign, so we added an in-line resistance heater element. These breathers would freeze shut in cold ambient, then engine would lose power and shut down.

That i couldn't tell you,there's things FCA does that just makes you scratch your head and ask "why",lol. The guys that seem to be modding the 6.4 intake for a catch can,seem to be the guys swapping the better 6.4 truck intake manifold onto their hi-po 5.7 trucks,as the 6.4 truck intake is a better intake then the truck 5.7 intake

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I found this on a Mopar Parts website. Apparently the 6.4 breather has a valve with a hose that comes from the engine oil fill tube over to the air intake hose.

@Nick@GotExhaust - you got anything for this?

aea131acb9bb1e01f5677ce5967a8332.png