Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteNBlackRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is a catch can worth it? And which one is everyone running? Price isn’t an issue. I’m trying to understand the difference between the billet technology and the amazon ones other than the brand. 4 times as much. Any help is appreciated.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Definately worth every penny. The genaric ones mount where ever you want and the billet ones mound on the side of the engine for a nice clean look..

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Is a catch can worth it? And which one is everyone running? Price isn’t an issue. I’m trying to understand the difference between the billet technology and the amazon ones other than the brand. 4 times as much. Any help is appreciated.

If you're not boosted and needing the Mighty Mouse can, I prefer the Moroso cans over the Billet Tech cans.The Moroso can mounts to the rad support and has a drain valve you can attach a hose to to drain it into a catch basin under the truck,none of this unscrewing **** to drain like the BT can,and it's a dual chamber can,that you can run the hoses into on either side,it's a bit pricey but quality costs. UPR makes a good can too,but throw their hoses away and replace them with a better quality hose.The farther away you can mount it from the engine heat the better they'll work

KPMH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I have the UPR one. Excellent quality and fits perfect. Got it thru Nick at GotExhaust and he provided excellent service and speedy delivery. Only glitch was (not due to Nick) that he ordered it shipped direct from UPR and they included the wrong can. I had ordered the drain kit as well and the can they sent didn't have the threaded hole in the bottom for the drain valve. But Nick got on it and I had the right one a couple of days later. They even included the return shipping label so no hassle. Definitely recommend dealing with Nick.

This is what I collected during the first 600 miles. Probably a couple of tablespoons so definitely worth it.

At 0600 miles.JPG

IMHO though, if I had to do it again, I would skip the extra $35 for the drain kit. I never installed it since it was kind of a PITA to run the drain hose and, honestly, there is so much room to unscrew the can that it takes no time at all. Also, I've seen where people had some weird gunk collected in the can and it would plug the drain anyway. One thing too, putting the hoses on the connectors is a one-way street. Put the metal collar on BEFORE you push the hose on. You'll never get it off again. I did one without to test and now have one hose without the chrome collar. No biggie from the operation viewpoint, just looks crappy. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Pete

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had a Billet Tech catch can on all of the 4t Gen trucks I've had. Been completely satisfied with the workmanship and how they work. I have never had any other kind so I can't give a comparison. I personally think they are worth the difference in price.
Jay

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
for 30$ on Ebay you cant go wrong ! https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Oil-Catch-R...346303?hash=item5da9f4b97f:g:gRkAAOSwEXJe1PvW

95325828_10158517510253552_5095478603596955648_o.jpg

senator49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 2500 heavy duty four door with a 5.7 hemi. I bought and installed the UPR Products.com catch can. Their installation instructions are poor so I went to U-Tube and watch several installation videos. I used the lower bolt hole on the front of my engine so it would not interfere with the engine cover. I did not use their hoses and bought PVC rubber hose from O'Rilley's. After 1000 miles there was approximately one and half ounces of oil in the catch can. The catch can is easy to remove and reinstall by hand on my configuration. I didn't like the drain valve configuration. My pickup has only 60k miles on it.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Evenig everyone. Just got my first new Ram 1500 Classic. I have been researching what mods to make "STEALTH" happy. So are these catch cans good for my 5.7 Hemi ( sorry know zip on mechanical stuff ) Also should I put a K&N CAI onher as well?..cheers Dave in Canada

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
before i had the catch can when i would floor it there would be a little smoke out the tailpipes, after the catch can havent had an smoke out the pipes. just wish i would have gotten one sooner. all that oil in the catch can ends up in the intake and it should get burned, but i can only imagine how much stays in the intake

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Ok, Nick - what's the deal, here?

I come from the diesel powertrain world but drive a Hemi. The few gassers we worked on nobody ever bothered with a breather filter (I hate the term "catch can") because compared to the high cylinder pressures of a diesel, piston blowby on gassers were miniscule.

What's the impact on a gas engine of a small amount of vapor if you don't have a turbo to worry about?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

I come from the diesel powertrain world but drive a Hemi. The few gassers we worked on nobody ever bothered with a breather filter (I hate the term "catch can") because compared to the high cylinder pressures of a diesel, piston blowby on gassers were miniscule.

What's the impact on a gas engine of a small amount of vapor if you don't have a turbo to worry about?

The technical term for them is Air/Oil Seperators. Alot depends on how you drive,if you like to use all 395hp fairly often,a catch can is beneficial,if you drive more like Grandma,then your requirement for one isn't quite as much. Both my wifes 6.4 Challenger and my truck have Moroso cans on them.One night at the track racing with either vehicle,will put more in their cans then a month of easy part throttle driving around town does.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Thanks, @Wild one . I hadn't heard of breather coalescers ever used on consumer spark ignited engines. For racing, sure. I don't race a 3/4 ton truck.

I'm thinking coalescers would be useful for the little turbocharged GDI engines? We know they soot up the oil and no doubt have corresponding unburned fuel dilution as well, in addition to higher combustion pressures.

Obviously, such engines don't apply to The Ram Forum, but many cars come with these engines now to meet EPA CAFE mileage requirements. My wife owns one. LSPI and all that.

Guga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Catch cans do virtually nothing on port injection engines like the Hemi. The vast majority of the blow-by they catch would be washed into the cylinder by the fuel injector and burned. I know it makes you feel good when you empty it, but stopping 100 ml of blow-by, give or take, between oil changes every 5000 miles is stopping like 6 ml of blow-by from getting in your intake on every tank of gas (considering you will burn about 17 tanks of gas between oil changes, give or take). And keep in mind that of these 6 ml, in the most pessimistic estimation ever, 50% (but I think it's actually like 90% or even more) is basically washed into the cylinder to get burned. Catch cans are needed on direct injection engines because the fuel injector can't wash the blow-by from the intake valve and it ends up creating carbon deposits. And you hear about blow-by reducing the fuel's octane rate a lot: come on, 6 ml (or 10, or 20 ml are a drop in the ocean for 26 gallons.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Catch cans do virtually nothing on port injection engines like the Hemi. The vast majority of the blow-by they catch would be washed into the cylinder by the fuel injector and burned. I know it makes you feel good when you empty it, but stopping 100 ml of blow-by, give or take, between oil changes every 5000 miles is stopping like 6 ml of blow-by from getting in your intake on every tank of gas (considering you will burn about 17 tanks of gas between oil changes, give or take). And keep in mind that of these 6 ml, in the most pessimistic estimation ever, 50% (but I think it's actually like 90% or even more) is basically washed into the cylinder to get burned. Catch cans are needed on direct injection engines because the fuel injector can't wash the blow-by from the intake valve and it ends up creating carbon deposits. And you hear about blow-by reducing the fuel's octane rate a lot: come on, 6 ml (or 10, or 20 ml are a drop in the ocean for 26 gallons.

And i'm guessing you've never ran a catch can on a Hemi have you.Gotta love experts who've got all kinds of advice,but no real world experience on what they think they're an expert on,lol.Not even gonna dispute this with you,but you're not talking me into believing you,or taking the catch cans off my vehicles,lol.BTW take a look at the throttle body on a Hemi equipped with a can,then take a look at the throttle body on a Hemi with-out a can,then come expound your knowledge on them,lol

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
@Wild one - your earlier post said these are beneficial for highly loaded engines, which makes sense. Everyday use for many of us is not highly loaded - just average consumer stuff. So, how is Guga's statement misleading? This confuses me.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Mainly they will help long term. Over time the vapors collect on your intake manifold, valves, and other components. These keeps those vapors to a minimum to reduce the build up. Even with fuel washing over the valves it wont clean them fully. Daily driving you will for sure benefit from one. I have ran one on several daily drivers. They all collected a good amount of oil in them and these were all on good functioning lower mileage engines with Port Injection and only one with DI. Its a low cost investment to help keep things cleaner in your engine. I 100% feel its a worthy investment

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a Billet Tech catch can, but plenty of guys use a cheaper one and have been satisfied other than needing to use better quality hoses.
Mine definitely collects a good bit of oil and is easy to unscrew and dump. Is your hemi going to blow up if you don't use it, of course not, but it can't hurt.