Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I found this on a Mopar Parts website. Apparently the 6.4 breather has a valve with a hose that comes from the engine oil fill tube over to the air intake hose.

@Nick@GotExhaust - you got anything for this?

aea131acb9bb1e01f5677ce5967a8332.png

Wrong 6.4 intake,thats the car version,that one you can add a catch can to easily.Here's a pic of my wifes 6.4 Challengers Moroso can.The 6.4 truck intake is quite a bit differant

DSCN4914 (2).JPG

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Ah geez - they posed it under "Ram" even though the pic isn't a Ram engine. Good catch, thanks. I guess there isn't one to bolt on to Ram Truck 6.4L.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah geez - they posed it under "Ram" even though the pic isn't a Ram engine. Good catch, thanks. I guess there isn't one to bolt on to Ram Truck 6.4L.

I have spoken to a couple companies about making one and even did some ground work for them but i think the fact that no one has seen enough interest in them for the truck 6.4 to start spending the time and money to R&D it.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Sorry, Nick - I wasn't aware 6.4 Hemi truck engine had a different breather than the 6.4 car engine AND the 5.7 Hemi - any engine.

What a crazy deal - 3 different architectures for similar engine geometry. Oh, well - I guess I'll just clean the throttle body if it starts sputtering. Maybe running Red Line engine oil will reduce oil mist carryover - Red Line has very low volatility (NOACK = 6 for 5W-30), so it doesn't matter that much.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry, Nick - I wasn't aware 6.4 Hemi truck engine had a different breather than the 6.4 car engine AND the 5.7 Hemi - any engine.

What a crazy deal - 3 different architectures for similar engine geometry. Oh, well - I guess I'll just clean the throttle body if it starts sputtering. Maybe running Red Line engine oil will reduce oil mist carryover - Red Line has very low volatility (NOACK = 6 for 5W-30), so it doesn't matter that much.

No worries, who would of thought the car and truck PCV systems would be so different. That sounds like a good plan!

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
:cheers:Let's go back to our friendly discussion as a Ramily! Peace.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
:cheers:Let's go back to our friendly discussion as a Ramily! Peace.

You put 2 likes up in the whole thread,both were on the posts bad mouthing catch cans.If you think catch cans aren't needed,why are you reading the threads about them?? You should probably quit reading posts that bother you would be my advice. Just for the record FCA puts factory Air/Oil seperators on the Hellcats/Track Hawks /Demons /Red Eye's /Super Stocks/and the Durango and TRX with the Hellcat motors.Take a look at a set of Hellcat valve covers,they come factory equipped with built in Air/Oil seperators right in the valve covers,only differance is FCA knows the average owner won't maintain a seperate stand alone catch can,so they feed the residue collected back to the oil pan,instead of into a stand alone can,which i don't really agree with as that just dilutes the oil ,but it's about the only way they can do it,as the average owners maintence schedule leaves alot to be desired at times,and most owners wouldn't ever think to dump a stand alone can on a regular basis.The Hellcats aren't direct injected ,but still use an Air/Oil seperator, even the factory thinks they need Air/Oil seperators.Check out the top piece on a Hellcats valve cover,that isn't on your normal 5.7 or 6.4 valve cover,that's the factories version of a catch can.

MOPAR Passenger Side Valve Cover (2015+ 6.2L Hellcat/Demon/Trackhawk) - 68186389AH (highhorseperformance.com)

MOPAR Drivers Side Valve Cover (2015+ 6.2L Hellcat/Demon/Trackhawk) - 68186145AH (highhorseperformance.com)

Last edited:

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You put 2 likes up in the whole thread,both were on the posts bad mouthing catch cans.If you think catch cans aren't needed,why are you reading the threads about them??
Yeah, I agreed with those opinions. They were different from yours. That's what discussions are for. Why do you take it personally when others disagree with you? Also, for future, you can always send a pm and take it off-top. People are running out of popcorn, you know...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah, I agreed with those opinions. They were different from yours. That's what discussions are for. Why do you take it personally when others disagree with you? Also, for future, you can always send a pm and take it off-top. People are running out of popcorn, you know...

You got me all wrong there lad,i don't take nothing seriously on here or facebook. Tell your buddy he could of taken it offline,as he has no experience in this thread,but still felt his need to elaborate his lack of expertise.
I have no problem listening to an opposing viewpoint if the guy who's opposing my viewpoint or anybodies else viewpoint,has some actual experience,but when he admits he doesn't have any experience,he becomes fair game,and probably shouldn't try to expound his lack of knowledge. You can tell by the comments that followed his post,wasn't just me,who thought he probably should of kept quiet.The best part was when he admitted he'd never had a catch can on any of his vehicles,but still figured he knew more then everybody else,of course he's going to get picked on. Personally i think you're a bit sensitive ,as you seemed to take this thread more seriously then anybody else did,just my 02.I actually thought the thread was kind of hilarious in spots,and entertaining.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Forget catch can. Delete the hose, plug hole in intake, run new hose from PCV to atmosphere.
In theory that makes sense but you'll Also have to gut the pvc as it will Just pressure up and vent and it'll be very ineffecient almost pointless. pcv needs suction to evac the crankcase properly, there is kind of a check valve in it. Pressure on one side/suction on the other.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
You put 2 likes up in the whole thread,both were on the posts bad mouthing catch cans.If you think catch cans aren't needed,why are you reading the threads about them?? You should probably quit reading posts that bother you would be my advice. Just for the record FCA puts factory Air/Oil seperators on the Hellcats/Track Hawks /Demons /Red Eye's /Super Stocks/and the Durango and TRX with the Hellcat motors.Take a look at a set of Hellcat valve covers,they come factory equipped with built in Air/Oil seperators right in the valve covers,only differance is FCA knows the average owner won't maintain a seperate stand alone catch can,so they feed the residue collected back to the oil pan,instead of into a stand alone can,which i don't really agree with as that just dilutes the oil ,but it's about the only way they can do it,as the average owners maintence schedule leaves alot to be desired at times,and most owners wouldn't ever think to dump a stand alone can on a regular basis.The Hellcats aren't direct injected ,but still use an Air/Oil seperator, even the factory thinks they need Air/Oil seperators.Check out the top piece on a Hellcats valve cover,that isn't on your normal 5.7 or 6.4 valve cover,that's the factories version of a catch can.

MOPAR Passenger Side Valve Cover (2015+ 6.2L Hellcat/Demon/Trackhawk) - 68186389AH (highhorseperformance.com)

MOPAR Drivers Side Valve Cover (2015+ 6.2L Hellcat/Demon/Trackhawk) - 68186145AH (highhorseperformance.com)
Kinda curious as to they they wouldn't have vented this info the exhaust like higher performance engines? Maybe emissions? Would be hella easier though.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
In theory that makes sense but you'll Also have to gut the pvc as it will Just pressure up and vent and it'll be very ineffecient almost pointless. pcv needs suction to evac the crankcase properly, there is kind of a check valve in it. Pressure on one side/suction on the other.

Long before you were around Brandon,there was no PCV system,they used a blow down tube that had an angled cut on the end of the tube that faced to the rear of the vehicle and hung down slightly below the vehicle where air passing under the vehicle created a vaccumn in the tube while you were driving down the road,they just had a breather usually mounted on a valve cover for the make up air.I think it was somewhere around 63 when California deemed that wasn't good for the atmosphere.I forget who the senator was that pushed the closed PCV system through though.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Long before you were around Brandon,there was no PCV system,they used a blow down tube that had an angled cut on the end of the tube that faced to the rear of the vehicle and hung down slightly below the vehicle where air passing under the vehicle created a vaccumn in the tube while you were driving down the road,they just had a breather usually mounted on a valve cover for the make up air.I think it was somewhere around 63 when California deemed that wasn't good for the atmosphere.I forget who the senator was that pushed the closed PCV system through though.
That makes perfect sense. Hey @Wild one??? What was it like hand cranking your Vehicles and lighting their headlights? [emoji23][emoji44]

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That makes perfect sense. Hey @Wild one??? What was it like hand cranking your Vehicles and lighting their headlights? [emoji23][emoji44]

Was okay as long as the hand crank didn't kick back,lol. My Dad had an old Model T when i was kid that he'd dig out every once inawhile and take for a tour,damn thing would break your arm if you had the magneto advanced a bit far and it kicked back,lol. It was also gravity feed from the tank to the carb,so you had to back it up any decently sized hill,lol