CEL and High Oil Pressure.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

13RamOutdoorsman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good morning,

I remote started my truck before leaving my house. The truck shut itself down less than a minute after starting. I got in the truck to leave and found a CEL. Started looking for things that seemed odd and the only thing I’ve noticed is that oil pressure is much higher than normal. I had a broken valve spring repaired last year around Valentines Day. Since then my normal oil pressures have been around 23 at idle and around 50 at speed. This morning my pressure appears to be around 65 at idle and around 89 at speed. I have not had a chance to check codes and everything seem to be running great. I do not have a way to check actual oil pressure so I’m relying on the instrument panel.

I appreciate any help y’all can offer.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would get a mechanical gauge on there and see. If your oil pressure randomly shot up that high you have 2 possibilities. Faulty sensor or an oil port is clogged or restricted and is not allowing free flowing oil. Also. You need to che k the CEL and see what the code actually is for

OP
OP

13RamOutdoorsman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for your quick reply. I’m leaning towards sensor at the moment. Prior the valve spring failure the pressure was around 30 at idle and around 50 at speed. It’s possible that it’s been flaky for a while. I’ll post up codes when I get them pulled.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thank you for your quick reply. I’m leaning towards sensor at the moment. Prior the valve spring failure the pressure was around 30 at idle and around 50 at speed. It’s possible that it’s been flaky for a while. I’ll post up codes when I get them pulled.

It's not an uncommon issue on the 13's and 14's.My oil pressure sensor went south on my 14 at 25,000 miles,there should be an updated version for your 13 at your local dealer.Check it for any oil sweating around the crimp,that's a sure sign it's gone south on you.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
change your filter just in case. is the psi different at different temps?

OP
OP

13RamOutdoorsman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks again guys I really appreciate the responses! I was able to swing by the house and check codes. P0520 is the code I pulled. The Great Google says that’s an oil pressure sensor. It sure is nice to have a sharp group of individuals to bounce questions off of.

Oil is fresh only 900 miles on the current oil and filter.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks again guys I really appreciate the responses! I was able to swing by the house and check codes. P0520 is the code I pulled. The Great Google says that’s an oil pressure sensor. It sure is nice to have a sharp group of individuals to bounce questions off of.

Oil is fresh only 900 miles on the current oil and filter.

If your local dealer has a bunch of them in stock,that's your first indication it gives trouble,they don't usually stock parts that don't give trouble,lol. When i had to replace my oil pressure sensor a few years back,the new one my local dealer had in stock was supposedly an updated better quality sensor

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So you have a new filter after this code started (as in the code happened after you put this filter on), but not before it started? Keep in the back of your mind it could be a faulty bypass valve or no bypass valve in that very filter, if it is not your sensor. Thus why I inquired about oil temp, if the oil temp is operating temp and you still have the higher psi, then it isn't the bypass. If the psi is coming down with oil temp, I'd just change filter first.

OP
OP

13RamOutdoorsman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you have a new filter after this code started (as in the code happened after you put this filter on), but not before it started? Keep in the back of your mind it could be a faulty bypass valve or no bypass valve in that very filter, if it is not your sensor. Thus why I inquired about oil temp, if the oil temp is operating temp and you still have the higher psi, then it isn't the bypass. If the psi is coming down with oil temp, I'd just change filter first.

I’m following what you’re saying. Temp doesn’t seem to matter. Oil pressure is still high when at operating temp. Oil and filter already had 900 miles on it when the problem started.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdog57