CEL flashing, no overdrive, no cruise control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PerfEm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2005 2500 5.7 165k miles. No past problems that I know about (bought it last year used.)
So today I'm getting on I-15 heading down to Pocatello, and when I put my foot in it coming to the top of the on-ramp it bucked a couple of times, then settled down as normal. I set the cruise at 70 mph and had a smooth ride all the way down (25 miles or so.) Coming home, as I came down the on-ramp I put my foot in it and it really threw a fit, bucking like crazy until I backed off the throttle.
That's when I noticed several things I didn't like. No top gear - about 1k RPM higher at 70 than on the way down. Slowed down a few times and floored it - no passing gear. No cruise control. CEL flashing. I pulled over at a C-store and checked ATF, which was low, so I topped it up. I knew about the leak before, though, so I doubt it's related. Anyway, it made no difference at all. I think this is what's called "limp-home" mode.
I made a few stops on the way home, so it's been stopped and started a half-dozen times. That didn't make any difference.
One of the stops was at O'Reilly's, where the kid hooked up the scanner and told me I had a bunch of "misfire" codes, but nothing else. Didn't tell me the DTC number, though, and I didn't think to ask. He said they were related to the crank position sensor.
I'm not opposed to buying a scanner and looking at it myself, but that doesn't fix anything. I hate just throwing parts at it. DTCs don't tell you what the problem is necessarily. They only tell you where it was detected, which is helpful.
I have good mechanical skills, but I apprenticed a few years back when Gerry Ford was the president and 911s had 6 carbs. I rapidly run out of confidence when faced with the modern electronics and computer controls of today.
So my next steps are ...?

OP
OP
PerfEm

PerfEm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
According to AutoZone's scanner, the error codes are:
P0300 Random Misfire Detected *
P0315 Crankshaft Position System variation not learned
P0016 Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation - Bank 1 Sensor A
P0339 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent
P0300 Random Misfire Detected *
P0315 Crankshaft Position System variation not learned

* Code P0300 indicates that there were too many random cylinder misfires within a predetermined period of time.

I thought of changing the CPS myself, but then I looked under the hood ... I couldn't even see the area where it's supposed to be! I'm taking it in to the Dodge dealer on Monday.

I drove it back down to Pocatello again this afternoon and it worked just fine. CEL was still flashing, but passing gear, 5th gear, cruise - all reported for duty. Coming back, I had the same problem I described in my first post. The only difference I can see is that the southbound on-ramp is uphill, and the ramp going home is downhill. Would the engine loading have that big an effect on things?