CEL on then off/ Should I take it in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sammy Kooner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys new to the forums, but thought this would be the best place to get some advice.
I got a 2011 Ram, and I moved to a new city for school. A week ago the CEL went on, but there was no performance issues with the truck asides from the ECO not being activated. I scheduled an appointment with the local dealer to have it looked at. Yesterday the light went off, and the ECO is being activated again, from what I can tell it drives as normal. Do you think I should still take it in? The dealer is charging $100 diagnostic to look at the code and the last thing I want to do is pay the $100 and find out it was nothing.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get yourself a scanner, they can be had pretty inexpensively at any parts store. Then you can scan and decide if it’s something that you want to do or take it to the dealer.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've been rocking a $29 OBDII/CAN compliant code reader for years. It's never let me down. I've lent it out more than I've had to use it myself thankfully. It will tell you the pending codes, etc..

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Did you get gas. I’d bet that’s a gas cap. But yeah get it scanned

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Do your auto parts store so read codes for you ?

OP
OP
S

Sammy Kooner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you get gas. I’d bet that’s a gas cap. But yeah get it scanned

Wasn't the fuel cap, light came on about 3 days after I filled up, I'm going to see if I can take it into another mechanic and get the diagnostic done for cheaper.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
like other say find a local autoparts store that will scan for free. dont it many times.

I was told that if a cel is on solid its ok to drive, if its blinking then stop driving it

I have had them come on a few days later from a gas cap as it didnt get fully tightened at first.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Yeah like others have said, don’t waste your money at a stealership cause their going to tell you that you need all kinds of crap that you don’t. Most auto parts stores will scan it for free or spend the money on a code reader.