Change cabin air filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
2020 Ram Cabin Air Filter Replacement

Replacement interval varies depending on local conditions (wet, dry, pollen concentration, pollution levels, dusty conditions, etc...) so I decided to replace them every 6 months. It's not an expensive item and now that I am in Arizona I have more dust to deal with than pollen or mold as I did in Oregon.

YMMV.
Well said.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
My 17 Ram has the cabin filters and I change it every 25,000 miles. It's not hard, behind the bottom glove box. It takes about 10 min at the most. My last oil change the dealer had a special, oil & filter change, new engine air filter, rotate the tires and cabin filter and it all ran $113. US. For me that was a super buy.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
NOT hard, I just at times have problems re-attaching that dang cable, if I not pay attention, it retracts, LOL. I would change all dependent upon where U live. But such a cheap filter, every 5-10K would suffice, IMHO (very humble).
I broke the cable the first time I changed the filter. Life goes on.

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The 4th gen is easy. Even adding it in only takes like 10 minutes a new door and filter. Not sure on the 5th gen. I am sure its just as easy. Wifes old 19 Pacifica was just like the ram. Behind the glove box door. Let me see if I can find anything too.
Is there a video on the 4th Gen? Mine doesn't have one but I would like to add.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
remove glovebox and gthere it is. not much to do. My oil change shop charged 25.00 installed.

Ray_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
CAF is great place for critters. I check once in a while but like never change the filter.

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
2020 Ram Cabin Air Filter Replacement

Replacement interval varies depending on local conditions (wet, dry, pollen concentration, pollution levels, dusty conditions, etc...) so I decided to replace them every 6 months. It's not an expensive item and now that I am in Arizona I have more dust to deal with than pollen or mold as I did in Oregon.

YMMV.

Thanks! Was it a pain to do?

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I live on country (dirt) roads, and got a K&N washable. I clean it on odd months. Pop it out when I get home from work. quick clean, pop it back in when I go to work

Here is the 2020 1500 5.7 (but look it up to be sure)
1638380130009.png

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
K&N is a good brand
Had mine out to clean today/ yesterday after 4 years is was really nasty
I had to use hot water and a mix of simple green, meguiar’s foaming car wash and lysol hydrogen peroxide cleaner.
It had a million insect body pieces and dirt with dried plant matter. I still had to tap it out while flexing the rubber frame.

I have a cleaning kit but never opened it until now and in both the cleaner and the refresh spray bottles have a detergent additive as the main ingredient.

While I had my glove box out I noticed the recirculating door was open and not down over the filter box,
I used my key to activate the controls and watched as the recirculating door would open on cue when the power was turned off.
I reached in with my finger and pulled the door closed ever so gently and I heard a “pop” I thought well I broke it and it wasn’t even enough pressure to tear a tissue .

I replaced the cabin air filter and replaced it’s door, replaced the glove box and went for a drive. I did hear some other vents activate when I changed from recirculating to fresh but I did not hear the air speed change to lower pitch when changing from recirculating to fresh.

Mrbyh20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My apologies for another question on my cabin air filter. I have a 2021 1500 limited longhorn and the filter is not located behind the lower glove box. I’ve seen that the filter could be under the hood? I’ve never had the filter under the hood but if anyone else has, where is the dang thing located? I’m sure that there should be a filter installed but again I’m not seeing it. Owners manual only says to have dealer change it. No other info about it. And it’s listed as a filter for Air condition. again no other information about it. Consider me stumped. Any ideas? Yes I’m easily stumped. Haha. Thank you in advance should anyone know my issue.