Change Muffler on Catback System (Borla Touring)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DG208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Continuing to work on my 18 ram 1500 hemi crew cab Recently added a CAI, a Pulsar Edge and a Borla Touring Cat-back. So I struggled with the exhaust choice for awhile watching as many clips as I could find. I settled on the Touring figuring it would be a little quieter than I was hoping for louder than stock and that it would be the best choice so as to not wake up the neighbors at 5am. I found a number of reviews suggesting the Touring was even too loud so I decided to stay away from the S Type. However now that I have it I’m surprised at how quiet it is. It gives a nice sound but low volume rumble at start, almost nothing at idle, and when the pulsar is in performance mode it gives a brief light roar when I hit the gas but dies quickly and when I’m stock mode it’s hardly noticeable at all. So what are my options at this point? I could pull it and install the S Type since Borla doesn’t sell parts to the catback systems but I’d prefer not to pay for a whole new system. Any reason I can’t have the muffler cutout and replaced. Will this have any performance impact, any recommendations as to a muffler replacement, any reason not to look outside of Borla? Not looking for anything that’s going to rattle houses but some volume improvement.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You may want to just put some miles on it, it should get a bit louder. Live with it a bit and you will probably grow to like it's loud times and quiet times. Give it some time.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
It took a good 8 months to a year for my mufflex to get louder.

Give it time. You can always change it later.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
I read the same reviews as you and that's why I went after the mopar cat back exhaust. It's made by borla but it's slightly louder than the touring but not as loud as the s type.

I'm not sure if you could get the just the muffler though...

Continuing to work on my 18 ram 1500 hemi crew cab Recently added a CAI, a Pulsar Edge and a Borla Touring Cat-back. So I struggled with the exhaust choice for awhile watching as many clips as I could find. I settled on the Touring figuring it would be a little quieter than I was hoping for louder than stock and that it would be the best choice so as to not wake up the neighbors at 5am. I found a number of reviews suggesting the Touring was even too loud so I decided to stay away from the S Type. However now that I have it I’m surprised at how quiet it is. It gives a nice sound but low volume rumble at start, almost nothing at idle, and when the pulsar is in performance mode it gives a brief light roar when I hit the gas but dies quickly and when I’m stock mode it’s hardly noticeable at all. So what are my options at this point? I could pull it and install the S Type since Borla doesn’t sell parts to the catback systems but I’d prefer not to pay for a whole new system. Any reason I can’t have the muffler cutout and replaced. Will this have any performance impact, any recommendations as to a muffler replacement, any reason not to look outside of Borla? Not looking for anything that’s going to rattle houses but some volume improvement.

OP
OP
D

DG208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read the same reviews as you and that's why I went after the mopar cat back exhaust. It's made by borla but it's slightly louder than the touring but not as loud as the s type.

I'm not sure if you could get the just the muffler though...

Thanks. Honestly I’m not so sure that the S Type would be too loud. But reading the guys who felt it was too much scared me away from it. I was even a bit nervous putting in the Touring based on some of what I was reading. It’s barely got 500 miles on it but really surprised that anyone might think it’s too loud.

OP
OP
D

DG208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It took a good 8 months to a year for my mufflex to get louder.

Give it time. You can always change it later.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

This is my first time switching an exhaust but a lot of what I was reading suggested it might get quieter over time which is exactly what I wouldn’t want

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have discovered that muffler placement makes a difference in loudness as well..I recently had to change mine,it was rusted out (17" mag flo)and the tech had to cut some pipe to make a new fitment piece..So i think the muffler was moved a lil more forward and surely made a difference in tone and drone...Yes its still new,only a cpl hundred mi on it yet but i noticed the drone at about 1500-1700 rpm is 90% gone..
To me a catback is pointless unless headers go on as well,hp/tq gain wouldnt be noticeable,then a few more bolt on mods/tune would then be noticeable..

OP
OP
D

DG208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone. I plan to give it a little time as it’s only been a couple of weeks and 500-600 miles but I’m hard pressed to think I’ll be satisfied with the sound even after break in. If I eventually decide to try to change it up..,any serious drawbacks to cutting the muffler out of the catback system and replacing it with say a Flowmaster, or is it necessary to find a more aggressive borla muffler. What sort of effect would adding headers have on the existing exhaust? Learning as I go here but appreciate the input

Last edited:

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Thanks everyone. I plan to give it a little time as it’s only been a couple of weeks and 500-600 miles but I’m hard pressed to think I’ll be satisfied with the sound even after break in. If I eventually decide to try to change it up..,any serious drawbacks to cutting the muffler out of the catback system and replacing it with say a Flowmaster, or is it necessary to find a more aggressive borla muffler. What sort of effect would adding headers have on the existing exhaust? Learning as I go here but appreciate the input
Let me know if you want to sell that Borla touring muffler.......I have the s-type with catless header & wanted to lower the sound a bit.