Change your rear diff oil if you haven't yet and clean those lockers!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Bumping this thread up.

I'm getting ready to do the diff fluids. At 16k miles, do yall think I will need new gaskets?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Bumping this thread up.

I'm getting ready to do the diff fluids. At 16k miles, do yall think I will need new gaskets?

I was worried about needing a new gasket myself.

But it was 80$ or 170$ can ( not sure )
Scew that, too expensive to be safe.

The gasket is good and I'll reuse it many times.

Go ahead, get funky

:grd:

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I was worried about needing a new gasket myself.

But it was 80$ or 170$ can ( not sure )
Scew that, too expensive to be safe.

The gasket is good and I'll reuse it many times.

Go ahead, get funky

:grd:
Man y'all Canada folk must get shafted on prices. I found the gaskets on Moparpartonline and they were like $28, and $21 USD. The Amsoil gear oil is expensive at almost $19 a quart. But ran amsoil in all my other vehicles and the Evo so i know it is good stuff

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Man y'all Canada folk must get shafted on prices. I found the gaskets on Moparpartonline and they were like $28, and $21 USD. The Amsoil gear oil is expensive at almost $19 a quart. But ran amsoil in all my other vehicles and the Evo so i know it is good stuff

Man, those are way better prices!

Amzsoil all the way here too.

I only did the rear with 75w90, no additive.
It stopped the locker light from blinking.

I did clean the diff with brake cleaner but am not sure it is a good thing.
( Did a really clean job tough )

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Man, those are way better prices!

Amzsoil all the way here too.

I only did the rear with 75w90, no additive.
It stopped the locker light from blinking.

I did clean the diff with brake cleaner but am not sure it is a good thing.
( Did a really clean job tough )

Yea i was going to ask about that. ive heard not to use strong solvents to clean inside the Diff. but brake clean evaporates so quick..... I will probably just wipe out what i can, and get a few Q tips like the OP did to get at the magnet.

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yea i was going to ask about that. ive heard not to use strong solvents to clean inside the Diff. but brake clean evaporates so quick..... I will probably just wipe out what i can, and get a few Q tips like the OP did to get at the magnet.

Brake cleaner really cleans. It drained gray hidden stuff.

I read that brake cleaner is hard on clutch pads ( witch we don't have ) and to use non chlorinated version ( less abrasive? ).
I used chlorinated because that is what I had.

Anybody knows if brake cleaning is ok?

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
m
Bumping this thread up.

my gasket on my 2020 was like new. The factory gaskets are nice gaskets and look like you can reuse them many times. I did put a light smear of rvt for differentials on both sides of the gaskets. has not leaked or seeped at all. Brake cleaner is fine. get both surfaces clean and dry as well. While you are at it put a different cover on. :)

BBC1617D-A56C-44B6-A29F-BE987573A97E_1_201_a.jpeg

CDDBABFB-6EB7-424D-878A-224764F8E04E_1_201_a.jpeg

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
m

my gasket on my 2020 was like new. The factory gaskets are nice gaskets and look like you can reuse them many times. I did put a light smear of rvt for differentials on both sides of the gaskets. has not leaked or seeped at all. Brake cleaner is fine. get both surfaces clean and dry as well. While you are at it put a different cover on. :)

View attachment 227129

View attachment 227130

I would love to put the AEV diff cover on. But right now i am still broke from the wedding. So really dont see me doing any mods to this truck any time soon lol.

P.s. Did you get the front also? If not, any particular reason why?

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Oh. To also add. I was looking at those purple cranium guards. but which one would i use for the power wagon? They show options for 10.5AAM Axle, and 11.5AAM Axle.

But i thought our power wagon has like a hybrid version? so it was like the 10.5AAM, but with the larger axle shafts from the 11.5AAM.

Just you know. thinking about Christmas presents my wife can get me. hahah

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would love to put the AEV diff cover on. But right now i am still broke from the wedding. So really dont see me doing any mods to this truck any time soon lol.

P.s. Did you get the front also? If not, any particular reason why?
No on the front and I only got the rear because AEV was not sure if they fit on 2019 and 2020 Power Wagons so they ask if I could/would stop by so they could check the fitment. They knew the front axle had not changed from previous years so that was not offered up. It is a bonus living close to their R&D they also tested out a Snap because there has been some issues using the snap on 19 and 20 Power wagons. the cover and the snap were compensation for my time which was pretty cool.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
11.5 rear on your new power wagon

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
No on the front and I only got the rear because AEV was not sure if they fit on 2019 and 2020 Power Wagons so they ask if I could/would stop by so they could check the fitment. They knew the front axle had not changed from previous years so that was not offered up. It is a bonus living close to their R&D they also tested out a Snap because there has been some issues using the snap on 19 and 20 Power wagons. the cover and the snap were compensation for my time which was pretty cool.

Oh well rub it in why dont you. lol.

P.s.. what is a "snap"

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh well rub it in why dont you. lol.

P.s.. what is a "snap"
Snap is the procal for the 19 and 20's. when you put bigger tires on it corrects your speedometer and you can lower tire pressure threshold and a few other things. I told them my vehicle was available for any products they needed to test fit :) they said that was all they needed.

Flame Red Rebel

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Rebel
Engine
Hemi Hybrid
Why change the fluid so early ??? It full synthetic from the factory and good to 100K .

Changing the cover is always a good idea.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Why change the fluid so early ??? It full synthetic from the factory and good to 100K .

Changing the cover is always a good idea.

Did you look at the original post? I have always changed my Diff fluids after about 3k miles. I have been slacking on this truck.

The reason for this is the same reason i change the engine oil after 1,000 miles. On a brand new vehicle you have a lot of break in wear. until everything gets seated.

Being at 16k miles all of my break in wear is done, and will be sitting inside my diff cover, and all metal particles will be attached to my locker magnet.

I would rather not have those metal piece hanging out for 100k miles. which im pretty sure 100k miles applies to the transmission, and not the diff anyway..

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Snap is the procal for the 19 and 20's. when you put bigger tires on it corrects your speedometer and you can lower tire pressure threshold and a few other things. I told them my vehicle was available for any products they needed to test fit :) they said that was all they needed.
Or, Duhh. I thought the procals didnt work on the newer PW?

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Or, Duhh. I thought the procals didnt work on the newer PW?
that is why they wanted mine to figure out what was going on with some of them as when they first came out they worked on many but a few they did not work on so they stopped selling them for the 19-20 PW's until they figured out what was going on. turns out a simple fix having to do with how fast the brake pedal releases during programing. Not sure the specifics as that was way above my comprehension level, he showed me the computer and amazing all the stuff that is going on when your vehicle is not even running. The guy who invented the procal is the owners brother and he was the one doing everything. Very smart guy. My buddy bought a 2020 a month after I did and he went there and the Snap worked on his rig so expect to see them soon for 19 and 20 power wagons.

OP
OP
Maligator

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
FWIW i reused my gaskets. Just cleaned them up and slapped em back on. GTG. Watch torquing the bolts though. I had a few that started to feel gummy like the were gonna snap ,a few I left a few lbs under the torque spec

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I like how the owners manual is like "fill diff to 1/4 below fill plug.. I've been sat here for 2 minutes after opening the fill plug... fluid is STILL coming out.. so tell me more about that 1/4 below RAM? Lol15ea137ff919149b35423ae1f23db123.jpg

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like how the owners manual is like "fill diff to 1/4 below fill plug.. I've been sat here for 2 minutes after opening the fill plug... fluid is STILL coming out.. so tell me more about that 1/4 below RAM? Lol15ea137ff919149b35423ae1f23db123.jpg

most stuff comes over filled from the factory. The diffs are probably filled before they are even mounted on the trucks. When you think about how little fluid ounce wise it would be at a 1/4" below the fill port not a lot. just depends on how your diff was tipped when it was filled.