Changing oil filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DHOS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003/2015
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there any trick to getting to this filter? I have a 2015 5.7 Big Horn and just did my first oil change. Wow! I don't have really big hands or forearms and still had to contort to get to this thing. How does everyone else get this out without dumping oil all over the parts underneath? My 2003 5.7 always had me getting oil on the linkage underneath the filter, but at least it was easy to get to! Am I missing some easy trick? Or, is that just the way it is?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Loosen til it starts to drip, then put a plastic bag around the filter and twist.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Use as band filter wrench and go in there from the front of the truck. Cut the bottom out of a 2 liter soda bottle and slide that up around the filter.Works better than a plastic bag.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Use as band filter wrench and go in there from the front of the truck. Cut the bottom out of a 2 liter soda bottle and slide that up around the filter.Works better than a plastic bag.

How do you turn the filter when you have the bottle around it?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Take all of the old oil and brush it all over your under carriage. if anyone asks tell them the truth, it is a protective coat.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How do you turn the filter when you have the bottle around it?

Right after you get it loose , slide it all the way and keep the lid on the bottle. I really think you could of figured that out.:favorites13:

iceyivy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Had to use a socket adapter with the factory filter and then damn nearly twisted the whole filter in half in the process. Next time I'll be using the plastic grocery bag after I break it free, damn thing shot oil everywhere.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the 2 liter bottle also. Next time I am going to use the left over redline oil container.

Sillygoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Take all of the old oil and brush it all over your under carriage. if anyone asks tell them the truth, it is a protective coat.
i do this. my 2011 undercarriage has zero surface rust, can't say the same for even the new trucks on a dealer lot around here

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Wow , this is what my father taught me when he worked on his cars and when I was kid. He even used his old old to brush the wooden fences around the yard not sure why.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
the location of the oil filter in these trucks is terrible. its not hard to get to, theres just no good way of removing it without making a mess. what i dont get is that my 3rd gen had a spout under the filter to collect and direct the oil away from the steering rack. all you had to do was put the oil pan under the spout. why they didnt incorporate that into these new trucks is beyond me.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
,,And from the other side of the debate, my 5.7 is a cakewalk compared to the 7.5 with headers in my old Firebird. Barely 1/4 inch to remove it after you unscrewed it/turned it on its side.

The slickest set up by far is the Pentastars with the top-mounted filters.

On the 5.7's, if one prefers, you can add a filter relocation kit to make access easier.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Wow , this is what my father taught me when he worked on his cars and when I was kid. He even used his old old to brush the wooden fences around the yard not sure why.

That is exactly what I do, I add acetone to my old oil and 2 ounces permethrin (concentrated insecticide) and brush it on the fence after I drill stir it. Great fence stain and termite protectant. My last batch I used up in my chainsaw as chainsaw lube. Million uses for old oil, I never through it out anymore.

One of my favorite things to do it get all of the old fence off cragslist and rehab the wood. I just got a batch from the 70's, and the wood is still fresh when you cut it. Dip the tips and bottoms in old oil and solvent mixture, and reuse it for another fence. Good for another 30 plus years if you oil wipe it so often. People who buy fence are crazy, so many people toss old wood just like toss all of that great oil engine oil away. There are tons of money to be saved. More of a hobby then necessary for me, but I have fun with it.

Last edited:

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is exactly what I do, I add acetone to my old oil and 2 ounces permethrin (concentrated insecticide) and brush it on the fence after I drill stir it. Great fence stain and termite protectant. My last batch I used up in my chainsaw as chainsaw lube. Million uses for old oil, I never through it out anymore.

One of my favorite things to do it get all of the old fence off cragslist and rehab the wood. I just got a batch from the 70's, and the wood is still fresh when you cut it. Dip the tips and bottoms in old oil and solvent mixture, and reuse it for another fence. Good for another 30 plus years if you oil wipe it so often. People who buy fence are crazy, so many people toss old wood just like toss all of that great oil engine oil away. There are tons of money to be saved. More of a hobby then necessary for me, but I have fun with it.

Love it man, loved reading your ideas. :favorites13:

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
,,And from the other side of the debate, my 5.7 is a cakewalk compared to the 7.5 with headers in my old Firebird. Barely 1/4 inch to remove it after you unscrewed it/turned it on its side.

The slickest set up by far is the Pentastars with the top-mounted filters.

On the 5.7's, if one prefers, you can add a filter relocation kit to make access easier.

Alright who calls a 455 a 7.5 LOL

Britgeezer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Not a neighborly or EPA friendly thing to do, it stinks and drips back and contaminates the ground.

My 2nd neighbor (many years ago) did this , we had a big fight about pollution laws and I won.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Not a neighborly or EPA friendly thing to do, it stinks and drips back and contaminates the ground.

My 2nd neighbor (many years ago) did this , we had a big fight about pollution laws and I won.

Have you ever smelled over the counter oil stains? Over the counter Copper wood treatments? I would bet money engine oil is less a pollutant then that copper stuff, which i also use. The warnings are so strong on that, it makes you think your liver will fail if you don't use gloves. And talk about stink. If I had a neighbor complain about my oil fence, I would use a can of over the counter copper treatment daily and teach them a lesson in being neighborly. And I'd spray it so it would really release the stink. The fence will last longer so you don't have to cut more trees down. A tree huggin individual like yourself does understand that yeah? There is an art to it though, you don't want to wipe oil on the wood and that's it. you want to thin it so it penetrates and dries and wipe off excess.

The EPA is one of the worst things this government does anyway, next to public housing and Bureau of Land Management assholes.

MOTOR OIL fence stain and free pallet wood shed, video.

finished pallet shed with engine oil stain.

Last edited:

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I use a plastic gallon of windshield washer fluid cut in half on the long way leaving the cap and handle intact. It sits of top on the steering rack and catches all oil that falls. Remove old filter then install new, remove tray. No drops spilled.
Everybody that complains about a hemi oil change has never changed oil on an f150. The old 5.4s dripped everything all over the front diff and the built in tray was useless. The new 5 litre and ecoboost still drip all over the front diff but the tray is one tiny step better but not very good over all. Give me a hemi anyday allday lol

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Listen up diamond geezer ;-) I was talking about the late 70s early 80s back home in the UK.
Good old days when spanking kids with a belt was a past time. LOL.