Charging System Error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bsheen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Just picked up my brand new Ecodiesel on Friday. I woke up Saturday and looked at the RAM app on my phone and noticed I had an alert. Powertrain-Charging System Failure. No lights are on the dash. Nothing noticeably wrong while driving. Today (Sunday) when I drove and turned the truck off an error displayed on the radio.
"Service Notification- Battery" Battery Alert, Your vehicles battery requires attention. Press Call for assistance.

Anyone else have this issue? I suppose it could be possible to get a bad battery from the factory, but seems odd.

Thanks.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There's an Intelligent Battery Sensor on the negative post of the battery that feeds back information to the ECM. It's possible that's causing the issue or there is a problem with the charging system. The ECM uses the information from the IBS to control the charging system and detect problems.
It is possible the battery is bad, wouldn't be the first time a battery has failed in a brand new vehicle. If the problem persist after the dealership tells you they tested the battery and it's okay, have the battery load tested on your own dime. The machine the dealership is supposed to use for warranty isn't the greatest.

OP
OP
bsheen

bsheen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Ok. I'll take a look at the negative terminal. Thinking to myself, could the negative post be tight enough for everything to work yet loose enough to cause an error?

edpete97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
I’m following this. I picked up a brand new 2022 EcoDiesel myself on Sunday. I just received this alert this morning. I haven’t tried to start it yet but I’m curious what you found out.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's an Intelligent Battery Sensor on the negative post of the battery that feeds back information to the ECM. It's possible that's causing the issue or there is a problem with the charging system. The ECM uses the information from the IBS to control the charging system and detect problems.
It is possible the battery is bad, wouldn't be the first time a battery has failed in a brand new vehicle. If the problem persist after the dealership tells you they tested the battery and it's okay, have the battery load tested on your own dime. The machine the dealership is supposed to use for warranty isn't the greatest.
CRASH,
Wasn't there something out ref an internal battery with U Connect or something, that the new trucks were having issues with (not the regular 12V battery), coming out from the dealerships brand new. Too early for my tailfeathers to remember, but something was out about an issue.

OP
OP
bsheen

bsheen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
This ^^ is interesting, the salesman made mention of this I believe. I forget what he said. That being said, here is the progress thus far.

Cold start on Monday am, battery dropped to 10.? volts. While driving it read 13. Took back to dealer, they were unsure about what was going on. First they had ever seen that radio battery error message. They ended up charging the battery for a few hours and the errors went away. Picked it up yesterday and the errors popped up again this morning. Nothing on the app this time like the "charging system" error, just on the radio. On the drive to work this morning, battery voltage was reading as high as 14.8v at crusing speed 60mph. But probably averaged 13.75v.

I was told by the salesman, who talked to the north eastern RAM rep, that the PDI (pre delivery inspection) battery threshold test was 70% and it is now 80%. It sound like maybe if the ECM sensed the battery fell below 80% that an error will be generated. Where as it could fall below 70% before.

This leads me to wonder if there is really anything wrong with the battery or the truck? Or have the engineers screwed things up with the software, forcing the error.

Anyway, food for thought, my wife just got a diesel Rubicon in June. Same power plant similar options to my Laramie. Here is a static comparsion of the two.

Jeep- 12.57v / .57 mA draw
1500- 12.44v / 63.86 mA draw

Zorin

Reaction score
Dude, your amp draw figures strike me as high. Was the vehicle asleep when you did your draw test? You should see 10-20 mA draw with the vehicle asleep.

Try this for your amp draw test. Open ALL the doors, and click the latches to the fully closed position. This way you can get all around the interior if you need to. Hook up your amp meter, note the amps, then come back in a half hour. It should be asleep by then, and you should have a better draw reading. I diagnose MANY electrical concerns where a module won't go to sleep, and will keep ALL the modules alive on the network, and then you have a dead battery in the morning.

63 mA will create a real problem come a cold morning.

OP
OP
bsheen

bsheen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Both vehicles were "asleep", and I didn't have the key fobs with me. I'm not sure what would be running that would cause a 63mA draw.

OP
OP
bsheen

bsheen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Ok...I must confess, I had no clue what a Parasitic Draw test was! So those numbers were most likely not accurate. I just switched the meter to mA mode and put the red lead on the positive and the black on a bolt. I got beeps from the meter if I put the black on the negative! lol.

However, a new message appeared today on the radio ONLY. Here is the pic.

I am seriously wondering if this is a Uconnect/radio issue. Still no warning lights on the cluster. It seems like to the cluster every thing is good to go. Only the radio thinks the truck has an issue.

Attachments

• PXL_20221020_132333558.jpg
    PXL_20221020_132333558.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 20

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It is getting colder in New York
The colder temperature the lower the tire pressure gets, it could cause the tire to get a pound or two below the TPMS threshold,

Then when you drive across town, or the sun gets warmer, the tire pressure will rise back up.

I run about 2 or 3 pounds more air than what the door sticker reads
my tires are a bit larger than stock

Last edited:

edpete97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
I’ve gotten 4 of those Charging System messages in the app now despite no issues or lights in the truck. Truck is now 1 week old. In fact, I got an automated text from the dealership today stating my charging system light was on and I should come in. I already took it in once and they couldn’t find any codes and sent me on my way.

OP
OP
bsheen

bsheen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Tire pressures were fine. Again no errors are being reported on the cluster. Only on the radio. I believe it's a UConnect issue.
It is getting colder in New York
The colder temperature the lower the tire pressure gets, it could cause the tire to get a pound or two below the TPMS threshold,

Then when you drive across town, or the sun gets warmer, the tire pressure will rise back up.

I run about 2 or 3 pounds more air than what the door sticker reads
my tires are a bit larger than stock

OP
OP
bsheen

bsheen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I’ve gotten 4 of those Charging System messages in the app now despite no issues or lights in the truck. Truck is now 1 week old. In fact, I got an automated text from the dealership today stating my charging system light was on and I should come in. I already took it in once and they couldn’t find any codes and sent me on my way.
I get at least one message everytime I turn the truck off. Salesman wants me to bring the truck in so they can open a "star" case, I think that's what he called it.

gtex1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
i'm having the same symptoms in my 2022 ecodiesel 1500 that is a few months old. i do think it started after i disconnected the battery to install a brake controller. I have checked the battery connection and it is good. there are no other symptoms to indicate that the issue is real... yet.

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Got the Uconnect battery warning on my2022 Warlock . Only came up once but my radio is possessed. Will have dealer check it out .

Attachments

• IMG_18711.jpg
    IMG_18711.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 16

Gillable

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco Diesel
i'm having the same symptoms in my 2022 ecodiesel 1500 that is a few months old. i do think it started after i disconnected the battery to install a brake controller. I have checked the battery connection and it is good. there are no other symptoms to indicate that the issue is real... yet.
I am having same issue on my week old 22 eco diesel - warnings on app, and phone. also on dash, but dealer cleared it - ran fine - until today - auto start would not work and it barely turned over when I tried from in the cab. I will post what dealer does to fix it.

gtex1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
i loosened , wiggled and retightened the battery ground cable and also the nut for that on-battery sensor. I also removed my security bypass, just in case that might be part of the issue. so far, so good. I have not seen the same error in a few days.

mtppilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Following. A month ago, I started getting the "Charging System Error" on the app about once a week. Once or twice, I've seen a "battery needs servicing" message on the UConnect screen at shut-down (not sure of exact wording there).

I was due for an oil change, so took the truck into the dealership on Tuesday and asked them to also test the battery and review the error notifications. (Incidentally, they did not perform any of the 20,000 mile service items like I asked.) They said the notifications weren't showing up any more because it had been too long (seven days prior) and that their battery test equipment was in use (for the whole 1.5 hours I was at the dealership‽).

Uprising

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
2022 Laramie Night edition that I've had less than 2 months is now doing this.

A couple of weeks ago I discovered the heater wasn't working, so I took it to the dealership where they determined the houses were not connected correctly.

The very next day after I received my truck back I began getting the same error on the RAM app. It's been a week since I received my truck back from the dealership and today the error appeared on my 12" uconnect screen for the first time. Battery shows 13v while driving.

I guess I'll be giving them a call on Monday. I'm going to check the battery connection here in a few minutes. I've never had to make multiple calls to a dealership in the first couple months...or years of owning a new vehicle before...I love this truck, but the quality control is worrisome.