charging system fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quick350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
2009 1500 2wd 5.7 117k.
I was sitting in truck only radio on. everything died. popped hood and found a burnt smell.
plastic cover on alternator lead was melted. not sure if it just happened or was there previous. replaced battery. had alternator tested on way home. they said it was bad. new alternator but battery icon comes on dash. took alternator and new battery back and both were replaced. new alternator still only showing 10-12 output. took that alternator back and same problem again. parts store gave me a new instead of reman and same outcome. ordered new pcm just installed it today. same outcome. I can drive for a mile or 2 then battery light comes on dash. this alternator putting out 12 on gage. any ideas or experiences. trying not to take to dealer for them to charge me 100 a hour and throw parts at it. ground cable and other cables battery terminals and anything obvious has been checked.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
How are your cables? May have chaffed through somewhere and is grounding just enough to overload its self. You could have a wire corroded inside causing lots of resistance as well.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How are your cables? May have chaffed through somewhere and is grounding just enough to overload its self. You could have a wire corroded inside causing lots of resistance as well.

Dito, Replace both cables, positive and Negative, and how's the cable going to the Alternator that melted, replace that one as well, and check the connections going to the starter motor.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2009 1500 2wd 5.7 117k.
I was sitting in truck only radio on. everything died. popped hood and found a burnt smell.
plastic cover on alternator lead was melted. not sure if it just happened or was there previous. replaced battery. had alternator tested on way home. they said it was bad. new alternator but battery icon comes on dash. took alternator and new battery back and both were replaced. new alternator still only showing 10-12 output. took that alternator back and same problem again. parts store gave me a new instead of reman and same outcome. ordered new pcm just installed it today. same outcome. I can drive for a mile or 2 then battery light comes on dash. this alternator putting out 12 on gage. any ideas or experiences. trying not to take to dealer for them to charge me 100 a hour and throw parts at it. ground cable and other cables battery terminals and anything obvious has been checked.

Where are you testing for voltage on alternator output, at alternator or battery.

Wiring diagram showing ONLY a fusible link between the alternator and battery. So if you get 14 or so at alternator and 12 at battery, bad fusible link.