Cheapest way to swap out chrome for body-colored?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wildfyre116

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 V8
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All,

Wondering your thoughts on what the cheapest, but still being quality (if possible), way to get the chrome on my truck (all the chrome on a big horn) changed to body-color dark grey (paint code PAU). I talked to a body shop about paint-matching the grill, bumpers and door handles, but they said they won't warranty it as chrome isn't technically paintable and it will eventually chip and deteriorate much quicker.

Right now, I can think of three options:
1) Find a spray paint that is close to RAM's PAU code and spray it myself, and just accept that it'll not be a perfect match and probably chip and show the chrome underneath sooner than I'd like (cheapest option).
2) Buy new, painted-plastic pieces from the dealer (obviouslly the best option, but by far the most expensive)
3) Find some used parts with the same paint code, and trade my chrome to them or buy it outright so I can return it to stock for lease trade in, if it comes to that (middle ground, but could be hard to find used parts that all match).

What are your thoughts on this?

EDIT: Looks like the sport/one-piece bumper also requires different supports, and would definitely be too much money and work to swap over, so I'll just skip the front bumper. Door handles are cheap, so I'm not worried there. As for the grille, looks like rockauto has a paintable grille for $148 so that's not bad. I'll probably just end up buying replacement parts for the door handles and grille, paint matching them, then just doing black plastidip on the front and rear bumpers. That way, it'll stay pretty cheap and is also reversible.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4) Find used good condition painted parts and have them color matched to your truck if needed.

I wouldn't go and have your current chrome bumpers painted after all it is a lease and chipping a concern

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That sounds like a lot of work to do for a leased truck.... why didn't you just lease a truck that didn't have chrome on it if you don't like it???

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep I also agree I wouldn't go through all this for a truck on a lease I would just deal with it till your lease was up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Wildfyre116

Wildfyre116

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 V8
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sounds like a lot of work to do for a leased truck.... why didn't you just lease a truck that didn't have chrome on it if you don't like it???

Because there were some huge rebates on the big horn models that didn't exist on sport models, and I wasn't willing to lose the interior of the big horn to get an express.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could look into getting everything wrapped.... that way it's not permanent and can be removed at the end of your lease. Lot of guys on here have done their chrome bumpers/handles and it seems to hold up well.

Danny Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You could look into getting everything wrapped.... that way it's not permanent and can be removed at the end of your lease. Lot of guys on here have done their chrome bumpers/handles and it seems to hold up well.
totally agree here, wrapping would be the best option for temporary color change and can removed in a day

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did my 2500 with steel bumpers, I bought paintable bumpers @ $250/ea. I bought the paintable grill @ $300.
PAU is a tough color to match, I had my body shop color match for me, took them 3 tries to get the shade and metal flake just right. They had a journey and another ram in the shop all PAU and all 3 vehicles were slightly different. Since your only painting the grill and bumpers it has to match pretty close since you’re not blending into other panels.
Anyway it ran me just under $1,000 to do it right.
You can paint chrome with decent results by sanding 60 to 80 to 120. Then prime wetsand and paint/clear but IMO all that time and labor isn’t worth the $800 in parts to do it correctly.
5BCBC6A3-FF8A-4F48-A6EE-69AAAF8717B3.jpeg AA4EA2FF-3690-4573-80AD-EDFA650C7839.jpeg

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would get some vinyl and give it a go. Doesn't look to hard.

Whitd5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wait until your brother just has to buy those $1500 aftermarket bumpers and then steal his old ones and paint them. Worked for me

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Because there were some huge rebates on the big horn models that didn't exist on sport models, and I wasn't willing to lose the interior of the big horn to get an express.

How much would it cost you now to get rid of the bling ? Maybe try to find somebody that bought an Sport or Express and wants the bling and do a simple switch? Bumpers, grill etc.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Save the money toward getting the exact truck you want next time in case its not on sale. How much longer could you have to go on a 2017 lease?