Check engine light 2012 dodge ram 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiznat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hey guys , new to this thread. Created a problem by myself that maybe I could get some advice for before I go end up spending a thousand dollars to fix it.

I've got a 2012 6.7 litre , aftermarket radio.

I took the dash apart to install a flush mount USB unit from the deck, unplugged all of the connection harnesses. Accidentally turned the truck on with all the connectors unplugged. Saw a few codes come up , so I turned it off. Ended up leaving it like that for a few days. Then went and plugged everything back in, and turned it on. Now I have a hard check engine light on.

My exhaust brake doesn't work. And because there is a check engine light on, the remote start is useless because it turns off after 8 seconds or so.

My ODB reader was unable to reset the code , even the dealership couldn't reset the code...

If you would like to know what codes appear then I will have to redo it because I did not write them down, thinking that was irrelevant because I literally didn't do anything with any of the wiring. Just unplugged the harnesses and plugged them back in.

Lesson learned , unplug the batteries, as I should have remembered to do . I'm an electrician I got complacent.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would disconnect the battery for an hour to force a reboot of all the modules.

Also, turn on headlights with the battery disconnected to completely discharge any residual power.

While you're waiting, you could make certain that you didn't forget to reconnect any of the harness connectors.

And, chrome_image_Nov. 16, 2023 4_51_54 a.m. EST.png to Ram Forum. :cool:

OP
OP
S

shiznat

Reaction score
Ram Year
I have started it and drove it probably about 10 times since the problem started

And I did disconnect the battery for a little over an hour, as someone else suggested that . But I did not turn the headlights on to ensure everything was fully drained .

I have also double checked that all the plugs are plugged in recently .

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You may have a pin that did not seat properly when you plugged everything back together . Sometimes a terminal will work loose in one of the harness connections, good luck trying to locate it if that’s the issue.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have started it and drove it probably about 10 times since the problem started

And I did disconnect the battery for a little over an hour, as someone else suggested that . But I did not turn the headlights on to ensure everything was fully drained .

I have also double checked that all the plugs are plugged in recently .

These trucks are like rolling microcomputers with numerous interconnected modules and lots of sensors.

A good practice when performing a power disconnect type reset is to turn on the headlights and press the brake pedal a few times. Without being sure of a full discharge, we really can't be certain of the state of all the modules during power-up.

I would repeat the disconnect process, adding headlights switched on with a couple of brake taps.
While you're waiting, have a look through all the fuses in the TIPM, one of them may have been fried by the live harness disconnection or reconnection.

Sometimes, an open fuse is difficult to see and a multimeter set to ohms is helpful. Or, a good set of reading glasses unless your closeup viewing is still working. :cool:

After replacing any open fuse, then reconnect the battery, moving the key switch to the on position, without starting. Pause for a couple of minutes, then start normally.

Please capture any & all DTC and/or CEL codes and we might learn something important.