Chirp / squeak diagnosis help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VFDPrim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Issue.
I have a squeak or chirping sound when taking off in my truck. this only happens when going forward. going in reverse makes no sound. I don't know if it continues to squeak when going at faster speeds as the pitch may just be too high for me to hear. I don't notice it as much when I'm slowing down to a stop.
It's not coming from the engine as that makes no sounds that it shouldn't when running. I have recently tried to fix the issues by doing the things below. I have not tried the truck in 4x4 since before the noises started as I don't want to take a chance of making anything worse.
I thought it was coming from the rear before however after changing the bearings I'm sure everything at least in the drive line is correct in the rear end at least.

Truck
98 dodge ram 1500
4x4 5.9 engine

recently fixed
upper and lower ball joints on the front
new breaks all around
new back bearings and one new axle shaft
front U joints fixed (within 2 years and are in good shape still)

known issues
one leaking seal on driver front axle (started after ball joints were fixed)
does not change gears right away on slow take-offs every now and then

thanks for any help or suggestions on where to start to look in advance.

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure the brake backing plates arent bent and scraping against the rotors

OP
OP
VFDPrim

VFDPrim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Make sure the brake backing plates arent bent and scraping against the rotors
did that and all looked good. also changed out a caliper that was a bit to stiff and rubbing but it is still making a squeaking noise and not sure if its because breaks are still a bit tight on that side or if I still have not found the issue

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
did that and all looked good. also changed out a caliper that was a bit to stiff and rubbing but it is still making a squeaking noise and not sure if its because breaks are still a bit tight on that side or if I still have not found the issue
I know you said you replace ed the axle shaft u-joints but I'll ask anyway. Did the replacement joints have grease fitting in them?

OP
OP
VFDPrim

VFDPrim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update:
the squeaking has been resolved and it was the simplest things
1. the back driver break was not seated correctly and was only rubbing on 1/3rd of one of the pads and must have been rubbing on something else as well. changing pads to sofer ones as well as replace a couple of springs that were worn.
2. U joints were replaced on the drive shaft. this finished off the sound that I was hearing when I was going at slow speeds

thanks for the suggestions and help