Chrome Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SparkyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First time poster here,
I figured you guys might be able to help me out with options on this. I want to color match the chrome bumpers on my Ram, but I have ran into some issues...
- Paint shops don't want to touch the chrome
- Wrapping seems to be unavailable in my area aside from one shop I will not go to.
- Powder coating would leave me bumper less for about a week, and this is my only vehicle.
My question is, has anyone had luck with wrapping their own bumpers? if so, is there write-ups on techniques, or just YouTube wrapper videos? also, what color did you use and was it a good match? (I have a white Ram btw). I have also seen painted bumpers on Ebay, but the reviews are less than optimistic. If I am missing a good option please let me know! or tell me what route you have gone and what your experiences were.

Thank you!

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you color matching or just trying to go black?

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have white also, a 16 Laramie, one day i may look into options for the bumpers but chrome is so durable to rock chips!
So far i did black/milled wheels, removed most of the chrome badges, black 5" exhaust tips, painted mirror backs, smoked rear tail lights.
White grille i have to still put on and im gonna try it with the chrome laramie insert.
Next i gotta swap the door handles, cant stand chrome handles lol

I wonder if line-x has a matching bright white, would be nice a durable option in the bumpes.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did try to wrap my bumpers myself using 3m film. It matches my paint color, "pxr" almost perfectly, but I never could figure out the right technique. I tried on my rear bumper a few times before I gave up and left the chrome. Youtube videos make the process seem way easier than it is in my opinion. My truck is black, and every time I pulled the film back up a little bit, there was a ghosting effect in the film where it stretched. It kind of turned the black film hazy.

White might be easier, or just having a shop do it might be best. Last time I asked my tint shop that does vinyl wrapping for a quote it wasn't crazy expensive. Just a few hundred dollars. Just never got around to taking my truck back to them.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
- Powder coating would leave me bumper less for about a week, and this is my only vehicle.
either buy a set of "paint ready" bumpers or check the local salvage yards for a set of chrome ones to have powder coated. Then sell your chrome ones.

Stubbyjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
either buy a set of "paint ready" bumpers or check the local salvage yards for a set of chrome ones to have powder coated. Then sell your chrome ones.
You can’t powder coat a non-metal bumper. You’d have to paint.

Edit I see now you said buy chrome and PC those- my mistake. Just didn’t want anyone taking plastic bumper covers to a powder coater and wasting both their time. My bad.