Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cigarette lighter

Discussion in 'Interior' started by dhay13, May 23, 2020 at 9:41 PM.

1. dhay13

dhay13 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
    So my son has a 2018 2500 with the full center console with the cigarette lighter under the phone holder. He travels alot to remote locations so has a few gadgets that plug into these lighter sockets. Anyway, he uses his window mounted Garmin GPS because he has his sites marked in there. The other day it quit working and turns out its that lighter socket. Any ideas what the problem is or how hard it is to replace that socket? Pretty sure he said it was intermittent so wouldn't be a fuse. His GPS works fine when plugged into the rear seat lighter socket

McBroom likes this.
  2. misfit77

misfit77 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Intermittent i immediately think poor connection. Grounds are typical culprit.

Knowing Ram it probably goes thru the can-bus or BCM.

McBroom likes this.
  3. dhay13

dhay13 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    yeah and with 47,000 miles his warranty is up

4. PaulTGarrett

PaulTGarrett Grumpy old man

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
    Both of the center console power points on my truck are intermittent... And both are sloppy "installs". The socket just wobbles around inside the console hole. I'm sure there is a locking nut of some sort behind the console, I just haven't "gotten around to" pulling the console out and fixing them. I'd check and see if your port sockets are nice and firmly attached or if they wobble around in the holes. That would be the first, easiest, and cheapest place to start.

5. Loudram

Loudram Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I'd check the fuses too. Make sure that they are properly seated. Don't dismiss them because it has power. Loose connections can happen anywhere.

6. dhay13

dhay13 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I'll let him know. He just went to Kinzers, PA today for work and probably won't be back for a few months. Took his camper and staying in it