Clearcoat repair?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
I have a couple spots on my truck where the PO attempted to debadge a couple badges and it turned out bad. It looks like the badge was removed, then something abrasive was used to remove the sticky part. In doing this, it literally looks like the clearcoat came with it.

Here is my question, can I just run a couple coats of clear over it (one spot is on my fender where the Cummins badge was, the other in the bottom corner of my tailgate), and be done? Or is this a job for a body shop?

Here is a picture of the fender. I have used the Cummins Power badge to cover the spot up.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
you may be able to wetsand and polish......if there is any left.

If there isn't, a reclear would be needed - and I'd trust a shop to do that..........doing it yourself, without the right tools.....might be fun.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Should be pretty quick and affordable for a shop to hit that for ya

OP
OP
USMC1188

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
you may be able to wetsand and polish......if there is any left.

If there isn't, a reclear would be needed - and I'd trust a shop to do that..........doing it yourself, without the right tools.....might be fun.

It really doesn't look like it, but it may be worth a shot. It won't make things worse!

If not... off to the body shop I go!

Thanks!

Should be pretty quick and affordable for a shop to hit that for ya

Yea, that's what I was thinking, I appreciate it!

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had seen that before using 3m adhesive remover to remove goo after. I was able to polish and hand buff mine out. I highly doubt it removed enough clear that you'd need resprayed. IF it's the same thing that happened to me.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Second sand buff. try some 2500-3000 grit wet sanding add a few dabs of liquid dish soap. Don't sand very much the get some polishing compound and buff it. What ever product you get make sure it is clear coat safe. I like meguiars polishing compound.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would also recommend wet sanding and buffing.

BE SURE AND USE A SANDING BLOCK!
Keep it wet, and let the paper do the work, DO NOT APPLY HEAVY PRESSURE!

Once you get a consistent dull look (dry) go ahead and buff it up.

OP
OP
USMC1188

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Alright, thanks guys!

I will give it a shot, I can't make it any worse, lol. Schedules are busy, so it may be a while...

OP
OP
USMC1188

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
I know....

Believe me, I'm not happy about it either lol. I have a few things that I have to take care of on the wife's car first, then gotta get some things to prepare the truck for vacation this summer.

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
If you're concerned that the clear may be gone, a quick test is to rub some polish, either on an applicator or towel, in that area. If the clear is gone, you'll get paint transfer. It the clear is still intact, you'll see no color transfer.

Do you have access to a machine polisher? I would use wetsanding as a last resort. No need to kill a fly with a sledgehammer, so to speak.

OP
OP
USMC1188

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Hm... alright, I will give that a shot. An easy experiment that lets me know where I am before I go and spend money.

I don't, I will have to do it by hand

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you're concerned that the clear may be gone, a quick test is to rub some polish, either on an applicator or towel, in that area. If the clear is gone, you'll get paint transfer. It the clear is still intact, you'll see no color transfer.

Do you have access to a machine polisher? I would use wetsanding as a last resort. No need to kill a fly with a sledgehammer, so to speak.

:lol: You make an excellent point sir! :shake: