Repair or Replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They do not, and I must say I highly doubt RamDivers is actually aluminum. Go try a magnet on it and see what you find.
Nope. Just tried and it sticks. Ram driver has a one of a kind limited edition ram classic with the coveted aluminum tailgate.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Maybe that’s how they got the tailgate to be so much lighter than the 4th gen’s.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They do not, and I must say I highly doubt RamDivers is actually aluminum. Go try a magnet on it and see what you find.

Tested and verified, I am wrong.
Good call, mrack.

I owned an ~'83 Nissan Kingcab 2wd/truck wanna B that had a heavier tailgate and it was a tiny truck in comparison.

I apologize to anyone that I may have misdirected or confused with my previous claim.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Tested and verified, I am wrong.
Good call, mrack.

I owned an ~'83 Nissan Kingcab 2wd/truck wanna B that had a heavier tailgate and it was a tiny truck in comparison.

I apologize to anyone that I may have misdirected or confused with my previous claim.

I was VERY suprised to hear there were aluminum tailgates on Rams. That said, we can all be mistaken. You NEVER post B.S. and work hard to contribute great value to this forum, so no reason to be fussed about being off side once in a 1000 posts.

Stay well.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was VERY suprised to hear there were aluminum tailgates on Rams. That said, we can all be mistaken. You NEVER post B.S. and work hard to contribute great value to this forum, so no reason to be fussed about being off side once in a 1000 posts.

Stay well.

Thanks Dean, much appreciated. :cool:

OP
OP
E

EBCohen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 E Torque
You are fantastic and appreciate your shared experience. Sorry for being that “guy”.

No offense to the OP but love when we get off topic. Until a moderator slaps us with a ruler…
Happens on most forums, it's amusing until someone losses an eye.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sorry, no ruler. I prefer to use a light saber :Jedi:

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dent removal company , can probably get that out for $100.00 or so. Might try that route. Or leave it till you sell then fix it.

utley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
**Update**
I went to the body shop of my dealer who has done work for me before on my Tacoma's. They didn't think repair was a good idea. Couldn't guarantee that it would look perfect. Suggested a replacement. They gave me an estimate for replacement with moving all the hardware to the new tailgate and they also gave me an estimate for me supplying a new tailgate and swapping hardware.
I found a company on Ebay that sells pre painted tailgates to match with a 30 day guarantee and a 99.9% rating with thousands of sales. Free shipping in both directions for $850.99
With the cost of labor, I am looking at a little over $1100 to replace it. It is an aftermarket tailgate and is aluminum, but who cares, it's just a tailgate.

Not exactly what I had in mind for my first post when I joined up a while back.
Purchased a 1500 Tradesman back in August of last year. Had paint correction/ceramic coating done after purchase.
Last month I inadvertently backed into pillar at a business backing into a parking spot. Was more concerned about getting to close to the vehicle next to me when I hit the pillar.
Did damage to the tailgate just above the latch handle .
Brought it to 2 independent repair shops and both quoted around $1500 for repair. First shop said he didn't have the equipment to work on aluminum but gave a guesstimate for what it would be, second shop seemed more like we can't be bothered price.
Knowing I can get a pre-painted new tailgate for approximately the same price with only having to move over the hardware, which is the better option?
$1500 for the repair seems like a lot for the amount of damage.
I will also go to the body shop of the dealer I bought the truck from as they do good work. I'll get repair vs replace quote from them too.

View attachment 539293
View attachment 539294

Find a dealership that has an autobody repair. Talk to the manager of the shop...or talk to one of the salesmen inside the dealership and ask if they know a business that does paintless dent repair. They should have a guy that comes out to repair vehicles that get hit by hail damage or pulls dents out on vehicles they just bought from customers. It doesnt cost nearly as much as a shop who uses bondo and paint and usually takes a few hours to do. That isnt a big dent and can be pulled out. Wont look perfect, but theres an even better than 90% chance of it doing so.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Being a almost new truck , I understand the "new" one, but I would worry about cheap aftermarket stuff, May be great .
If the access panel was removed, I think it would be not that hard to push out, would need some paint repair, matching can be a pita, thou I am not a body guy, well not these body's anyway.
I just like nice lines

The newer trucks have spring assist do they not? so they would feel lighter,
I just put a kit on mine as it was getting heavier every year.

jfab6969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Genos garage has a cool tailgate top plastic piece that hides a lot of that damage. I think it was $150 and looks great