Clicking noise front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GigEm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey guys I have a 2015 2500 6.7 4x4 92,000 miles, truck has been very well taken care of with oil changes filter changes fluids everything. When I have my window down I can hear a clicking noise coming from what sounds like the front left part of the axle. The cadence of the sound correlates with the speed. I did a test in 4x4 and it does not make the sound when in 4 wheel drive. Everything performance wise with the truck seems great. I can turn a wrench but I’m not the most mechanically inclined. I’m probably going to take it to the dealer to get it looked at on Monday but I wanted to see if y’all had any input.

Thanks

lps72pp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey guys I have a 2015 2500 6.7 4x4 92,000 miles, truck has been very well taken care of with oil changes filter changes fluids everything. When I have my window down I can hear a clicking noise coming from what sounds like the front left part of the axle. The cadence of the sound correlates with the speed. I did a test in 4x4 and it does not make the sound when in 4 wheel drive. Everything performance wise with the truck seems great. I can turn a wrench but I’m not the most mechanically inclined. I’m probably going to take it to the dealer to get it looked at on Monday but I wanted to see if y’all had any input.

Thanks

Well I might not be much help mechanically, but based on your user name and pic I had to say Gig Em’ and BTHO LSU tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lps72pp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Whoop! Another thought, wheel bearing possibly? Wouldn’t think it would have gone bad that soon but these trucks are heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It could be two things.
Wheel bearing or the U joint on the front axle shaft from the transfer case to the front diff.

when was the last time you greased that U joint?

On a side note, I’m sorry the other two members gave you false hope. Them aggies are doomed tonight. :)

Go LSU-

Erikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2014 2500 4x4 w/ 99k.
I traced the exact same symptom on my truck to the passenger side front axle u-joint. I heard it from inside the cab only and it sounded like it was the driver side but I lifted both front tires and spun the wheel and heard the noise on the passenger side only. I then checked the ujoint by hand and it had a bit of play. This bearing went out a year ago and the dealership replaced it with out replacing the ujoint so I’m not surprised it’s toast.
Now I need some tech advice!
Is there any differences in pulling passenger axle shaft on a pre-2013 Ram 2500 to the current truck with the electric disconnect? I need to change the passenger side u-joint and since there is a axle disconnect system in the passenger side of the axle housing I wanted to see if the axle still just slides out before I take everything apart, or if I have to take apart the CAD to get the shaft out or back in. I can’t find anything on this through google searches, everything I found is pre 2013 for the Ram 25-3500 and it’s all talking about solid front axles w/out the CAD.
Thanks for any advice in advance!

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Thanks

Hi GigEm,

We certainly understand why this would be concerning. To clarify, did you end up visiting your dealer for an appointment? If you are in need of any additional support while in service, please do not hesitate to send us a PM. We are always more than happy to help.

Mark
RamCares