Clunk backing out of the garage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I messaged the guys at Thuren about this to no avail. After my truck sits overnight and I go to back it out of the garage as soon as the tires clear the garage and transition to the asphalt there's an audible clunk. Sure sounds like it's coming from the drivers side. I had the shop double check the track bar bolts and they are tight. Any idea what the hell it could be? The other weird thing is that it'll only do it after it's been sitting and when backing out. Won't do it going back in and after the initial clunk it's fine. Over curbs nothing etc. Almost seems like it has to be the track bar. Anyways I thought I'd ask the forum. One of these days I'm going to have my wife back it out while I skate along under it on a creeper to see if I can figure it out.

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sorry I should say I have a 22 PW with fox reservoir shocks thuren track bar and coils.

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've already emailed Andrew back and forth. He said to check the frame side bolt. That was his only suggestion.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
only does it first thing after sitting, sure it is not the brakes? Also double check the lower shock bolts. I know you said the shop said the track bar was tight but these track bars call for like 275 ft/lbs which is more than a lot of guys can generate.

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm just assuming it's suspension because the truck drops about an inch off the garage floor. Does it at that particular time.

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
yeah I didn't have the brakes on at all backing out today and it still clunked. might loosen that bolt up and tighten it again and see what happens.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You need to apply the brakes to start it, so still could be it. I would leave it outside over night and try it in the morning. If without the lip it's quiet, suspension, if it makes the noise then most likely brakes.

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
still gotta apply the brakes outside too. haha. It doesn't make the noise until the drop off the lip of the garage.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check your shock bolts..

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think my track bar is rotating upwards a little bit and hitting the bracket that’s attached to the frame take a look at the line on this picture. I feel like there is less tolerance in the spot on my new power wagon versus my old one. I could definitely try and cut that spot out and grind it but I really don’t want to I know I’ve seen pictures of track bars where that end is narrow down in circumference a little bit.

Attachments

• AAA552E7-E1B0-4F7F-938A-6A8F5F6F1584.jpeg
    AAA552E7-E1B0-4F7F-938A-6A8F5F6F1584.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 27

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think my track bar is rotating upwards a little bit and hitting the bracket that’s attached to the frame take a look at the line on this picture. I feel like there is less tolerance in the spot on my new power wagon versus my old one. I could definitely try and cut that spot out and grind it but I really don’t want to I know I’ve seen pictures of track bars where that end is narrow down in circumference a little bit.
that is possible, but if it seems like it would continue to make contact on every bump. take your smart phone and rig it up so it is recording the track bar and see if that is the sourc.

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Maybe there’s a bit more material on the bracket it bolts to?

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah that’s the odd part. Maybe it’s the perfect situation of up on one side and down on the other to hit?

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’m going to reverse the teuck in tonight and see if it does it on the way out going forward.

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it backlash in the driveshaft, the spline coming out of the transfer case may need to lubed, I don't think from the factory they are lubed, I know if I give mine the throttle and back it off I will get a clunk in the driveline.

OP
OP
thkbaron

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I suppose that's possible. Why would it only do it coming out of the driveway though. It's very odd. I do need to rig up a phone. I actually wanted my wife to drive the truck while I skated underneath on a creeper though. haha. she won't do it.