Clunk in driveline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Hey Guys

I have a question, I have noticed I get this clunk once in awhile in my driveline. It happens when I am driving, usually on flat roads, if I take my foot of the gas to slow down and when I give the truck gas you will hear a clunk like the slack is being taking up. I dont remember having this on my 04 Ram but that had a hemi with 6speed and 4.10 posi rear. This truck has hemi, 8 speed with the open diff 3.21. Is it normal or should I be making a trip to the dealer. Truck is a 18 with 13K miles.

Thanks
Joe

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Normal no but seems like 80% of the 8 speed trucks do it several threads about it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I tried to do a search first but did not come up with anything. I do a manual search for the threads, thanks.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I wasnt implying that you didnt search. I was simply stating that there are several threads about it so you know you're not the only one with the issue. If you felt I was being a smart ass by stating there are several threads I do appoligize but that's not what I was stating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I wasnt implying that you didnt search. I was simply stating that there are several threads about it so you know you're not the only one with the issue. If you felt I was being a smart ass by stating there are several threads I do appoligize but that's not what I was stating.

No I did not think that at all. I know some guys really get upset if you ask a questions and did not do a search first. I was just saying I did do one but did not find anything but since you said there are discussions I spend the time and manually try to find them.

I do appreciate the help.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No I did not think that at all. I know some guys really get upset if you ask a questions and did not do a search first. I was just saying I did do one but did not find anything but since you said there are discussions I spend the time and manually try to find them.

I do appreciate the help.
I'll see if I can find it in my history I know I was apart of one of them.

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
Mine does the same thing and only noticed it after the truck was tuned. I hear it clunking when I get back on the gas pedal after coasting while driving through my neighborhood. FWIW my truck is a crew cab with the 6.4' bed, 3.92 limited slip rear end and one piece aluminum driveshaft. I saw another post mentioning to check the drive shaft to pinion flange bolts. Guess that''s what I'll do when I get a chance to climb under the truck. Supposedly the bolts should be tightened to 85 ft lbs.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try lubing the splines under the boot on the front of the rear driveshaft with marine grease.
You have to pull the driveshaft but it is easy to do - if you want to do it right.
If not you can lube it to some degree installed but it may not cure it.

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Try lubing the splines under the boot on the front of the rear driveshaft with marine grease.
You have to pull the driveshaft but it is easy to do - if you want to do it right.
If not you can lube it to some degree installed but it may not cure it.

Do you know the bolt on the pinion side get torque to? I have a 1 piece steel drive shaft.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know the torque off hand.
The one piece still has the slip joint on the trans/transfer case side - those are the splines to lube, under that boot.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hey Guys

I have a question, I have noticed I get this clunk once in awhile in my driveline. It happens when I am driving, usually on flat roads, if I take my foot of the gas to slow down and when I give the truck gas you will hear a clunk like the slack is being taking up. I dont remember having this on my 04 Ram but that had a hemi with 6speed and 4.10 posi rear. This truck has hemi, 8 speed with the open diff 3.21. Is it normal or should I be making a trip to the dealer. Truck is a 18 with 13K miles.

Thanks
Joe

Mine does the same thing and only noticed it after the truck was tuned. I hear it clunking when I get back on the gas pedal after coasting while driving through my neighborhood. FWIW my truck is a crew cab with the 6.4' bed, 3.92 limited slip rear end and one piece aluminum driveshaft. I saw another post mentioning to check the drive shaft to pinion flange bolts. Guess that''s what I'll do when I get a chance to climb under the truck. Supposedly the bolts should be tightened to 85 ft lbs.

Hi @Joe Merchak & @BackCountryAK - If at any point you decide to address this with your dealers, please be sure to follow up with us via private message. We would like to escalate your situation to a Case Manager which will provide the dealership and yourself with an individual who will review your concern, then assist you and the dealership in exhausting all available resources to have the concern addressed and resolved.

Mark
RamCares

stevenram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Joe, I have the same problem with my 2018 please post back after your trip to the dealership

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
My dealer said they did not hear the noise. I dont think they even bothered to drive it because they did not put any miles on it. Its getting worse so I would think its going to break sooner or later then they will have to fix it.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My dealer said they did not hear the noise. I dont think they even bothered to drive it because they did not put any miles on it. Its getting worse so I would think its going to break sooner or later then they will have to fix it.

Make them go for a ride with you so they hear it Or lay into it a few times see if something snaps then ya found it:Dlol