CO2 instead of air compressors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jerry clements

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Power Wagon
I had decided to go with CO2 instead of on board air. Airgas and Praxair no longer sell tanks to the public. They are still for sale on Amazon for now. I bought 2 new tanks but had to exchange them for filled tanks at airgas. CO2 refills tires faster than on board air and I wanted to be able to run an air impact wrench. The downside is $45 refill charges. 20220324_131215.jpg20220324_131142.jpg

Jadman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I prefer Co2, super fast and quiet. I work at Airgas so it is also cheap to refill.
Make sure they are not charging you a hazmat fee. $45 is a little steep.

OP
OP
J

jerry clements

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Power Wagon
They are only doing tank exchanges and charge $45 per tank. Kind of steep imo.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Find a place that refills tanks. I get my 15lb filled for $25. I use a fire supply store.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I went with ARB a 2 tanks. My build out was $700 but it was a one time cost. And I too can run pneumatic tools. But if I went your route I would refill my large bottle at the welding supply and refill smaller bottles from that.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/trailmaker’s-pw-build-thread.161909/page-3

Post 26

Last edited:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
If you have a tank and a compressor you can fill it yourself with compressed air.
pneumatic tools are operable in adverse conditions inclement weather or flammable vapors

I don’t understand why Co2 instead of air.

Last edited:

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Cause fast! 40s aired up in 30-45 seconds.
I agree when you have a tank it does air up fast, that’s why I set mine up the way I did. I also have a battery operated tire inflator to caring around in my wife’s car and it does the job, just takes a lot longer.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have a tank and a compressor you can fill it yourself with compressed air.
pneumatic tools are operable in adverse conditions inclement weather or flammable vapors

I don’t understand why Co2 instead of air.
I don't think I would be using any impact wrench if the flammable vapors are at ignition point or higher.
Bad weather, I could have the lug nuts off before the air line is out and hooked up.

Granted there are other pneumatic tools that could be used, most have a battery powered brother at this point.
I was just curious at to why select pneumatic.
As far as airing up the tires (or airing up anything for that matter), that's a no brainer - compressed air, CO2, etc is significantly faster.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I don't think I would be using any impact wrench if the flammable vapors are at ignition point or higher.
Bad weather, I could have the lug nuts off before the air line is out and hooked up.

Granted there are other pneumatic tools that could be used, most have a battery powered brother at this point.
I was just curious at to why select pneumatic.
As far as airing up the tires (or airing up anything for that matter), that's a no brainer - compressed air, CO2, etc is significantly faster.
Not all pneumatics are certified for use around flammable vapors they are called “cold tools” in general this is one of the reasons pneumatic tools were favored in repair shops and service stations.
I had a chance in the (olden-days) to work for a retired fire capt. that owned a service station lof’s , propane, tire repair, new tires, battery service, new batteries the full gamut everything. fire safety was obviously an issue and I learned a lot, of what and what not to do, Co2 is going to be a fire suppressant, regular air, not so much.

You sound like you have great wrenching skills .. yeah no brainer.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never knew that there were certified pneumatics, we used air tools at the dealer because air was available and well, that's was really the only option back then. Hahaha

I could see where having CO2 in the backwoods could come in really handy.

I can say do NOT use windshield washer fluid to put out an engine fire. LOL

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8

So I read the difference between air and Co2 is
Co2 is denser and you get more charges but, because Co2 is temperature sensitive if you are in a colder climate you may get the same as atmospheric air some articles suggest you may get less that lambda

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jerry clements

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Power Wagon
When you gear up to use CO2 to air up the tires, it kind of makes sense to throw in a cheap 1/2 drive impact wrench for the lug nuts. That's my thinking anyway.

bigred2211

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
I've wanted to add a twin ARB compressor, but am now looking at a Power Tank kit. Anyone using this set-up?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

So I read the difference between air and Co2 is
Co2 is denser and you get more charges but, because Co2 is temperature sensitive if you are in a colder climate you may get the same as atmospheric air some articles suggest you may get less that lambda

Thanks for the link, I can see where those tools might come in handy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007