Code 17, 32, 32, 37

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AF Twin Turbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 Ram 2500
Engine
5.9L Mag
Ok got my flash codes finally.

Listed 37, 32, 32, 17 in that order. 32 is listed twice for some reason I am not sure. I checked the flashes 3 times to verify.

32 is easy enough, EGR solenoid, I can swap the whole system out and replace it.

37 is Torque converter clutch solenoid CKT or Trans temp sensor too high or low. I am in Arizona, and temps too low should never occur here haha! So I would essentially assume that it means the TC solenoid. How difficult would this be to swap myself? I have exerience pulling engines apart, but not an auto transmission....Would this require me to drop the tranny and dig into the valve body?

17 is engine too hot or too cold. Again, AZ is not cold, but my engine has also not overheated. The thermostat was replaced 4 months ago with a colder temp because i did experience a hot engine during a tow up a mountain. Could this just be a stuck open t-stat, or should i swap in a new OEM one?

Thanks for any replies!

OP
OP
A

AF Twin Turbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 Ram 2500
Engine
5.9L Mag
Or something else I guess I should ask is, the truck shifts perfectly fine, operating temperature is always stable, and there is no rough or odd running.

Are these codes static or dynamic? I.e. Did these codes pop up from a one-time thing, or do they pop up every time the issue is encountered?

And Obviously they should be fixed, but my truck is a beater as it is, and i'm working to kind of fix her up over time. how critical are the codes at this point to fix properly?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I would reset or clear the pcm and then drive it for a day or two and check the codes again.

OP
OP
A

AF Twin Turbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 Ram 2500
Engine
5.9L Mag
I would reset or clear the pcm and then drive it for a day or two and check the codes again.

Thanks. I reset it and the codes 32 and 37 came back the first drive 1 mile away. the dupe 32 code did not, only these two. unfortunately not the two i wanted to be there...

patrickocake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
My truck is similar, but a 1500. I too have these codes, with the exception of 12 due to battery disconnect. Watch this video as a possible solution to 37...
As for 32, I'm gonna try to replace the EGR and transducer.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
There's not a lot of details to give a good diagnosis, but here's a couple of thoughts.

Usually when you get a TC lockup code, It's because the TC took too long from the command signal to lockup. Most of the the time this is caused by the clutch facing in the TC becoming thin from wear and then slipping. While replacing the solenoid may help, it's a band aid repair at best. Eventually the TC will not engage. The resulting crap that goes through your transmission usually does some collateral damage.

As far as the thermostat, if you changed to a 160 degree stat, it probably takes too long for the engine to reach operating temperature. That will set a code. If it's a 180 it maybe opening too soon. A good 180 stat in Az should not give you grief
This could also cause a faulty EGR code because the engine doesn't reach proper temp when the ECM thinks it should. The ECM uses engine temp to decide when to open the EGR valve. There certainly could be an electrical test for the solenoid but you'll need to search for that.

The OBD1 system on a 95 Ram isn't a learning system like an OBD2. Making changes on certain components that affect the operating system have more consequences.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mop