Codes P219A and P0305, erratic down shifts and high fuel consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got some issues with my truck as mentioned in the title.
Apologies for the long post and hope the wording makes sense. Wanted to try to provide as much detail as possible.

Some history on the truck:
2013, 5.7, 6 speed, 106K miles
Bought at 100K miles. 1 owner truck but limited maintenance history.
Oil and filter change to redline 5W20 at 101k miles
Oil and filter to redline 5w30 at 105K miles

Some lifter noise present which reduced after first oil change to redline at 101k miles. Didn’t completely go away.

Over the last weeks noticed higher fuel consumption and truck seemed to struggle a bit with down shifts. Meaning at lower speeds (30 – 50 mph) and lower RPM’s it seems to just put load on the engine and then after continuing to slowly press the pedal suddenly drop 2 gears instead of just one. Fuel consumption seemed to be higher than normal, especially while on cruise. While on cruise it feels like its putting load on the engine making it feel like the engine is “pulling” almost continuously.
Down shifts at highway speeds seem to be fine.
When trying to keep constant speed by just using the pedal the engine “loading” seemed a lot less and fuel consumption appears to be better according to evic display.

Because of the above symptoms decided to do oil change (redline 5w30), replace the sparkplugs, clean the throttle body and recalibrate TPM at 105K miles. Drove about 800 miles since and initially the situation appeared to be better.

Over the weekend engine light came on. Since we where away from home I wasn’t able to read the codes. Decided to just drive it home (120 mile trip) and monitor the situation.

Engine idles fine and the lifter noise seemed to have gotten a lot less. At highway speeds (around 1800rpm) the engine felt like its loading more compared to before. Up to the level that the drive was feeling a little “jerky”.
Now also when not using cruise.
Below approx. 2200 rpm acceleration is a little sluggish. Above this, acceleration feels fine and upshifts are good. Downshifts are still erratic. Especially at lower rpms and lower speeds.

After passing toll gate accelerated swiftly up to around 80mph (half throttle, pushing shifts at higher rpm) and a strong vibration developed. Slowed down a bit to around 65 mph and vibration became less. Manually selected lower gear and vibration noticeably got less at higher rpm. Continued driving and initially locked gear at 5th driving 70mph forcing to operate in higher rpm range (2200 rpm). After a while shifted to 6th without noticeable changes in engine performance (little vibration).

Getting close to home I gradually increased speed up to 80mph and seemed to drive fine. No vibration and also the “engine loading” under steady throttle seemed to be less.

This evening I’ll swap sparkplug and coil of number 5 cylinder with another one to see if the code will change to that cylinder or remain at no 5.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

OP
OP
nwro

nwro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Swapped plugs and coils with cyl 3. Reset engine light/ codes and went for a short drive. Codes did not come back. Ill go for a longer drive tomorrow and see what happens

OP
OP
nwro

nwro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pulled valve cover on driver side. Bit of a challenge to get it out.. Visually it seems intake valve of no.5 is bein less compressed compared to adjacent cylinders. So that looks like a camshaft job. Now need to get some price estimates and do some thinking on what next steps are going to be.

scubasteege

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did you ever get this resolved? My truck is doing the exact same thing. I figured it might be my horrible exhaust header leak. Got all my bolts and seals replaced and I still get the check engine light and driving simile to your truck.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
From asking around I was told that adding aftermarket exhausts can cause the erratic down shifts and also increase chances of manifold leaks lol .... I have noticed now that my truck down shifts a lot harder than before I had the Carven Competitor series .... sounds like semi truck breaking lol ... but nothing I think I should worry about ..

@nwro did you add an aftermarket exhaust or did it have one already ?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
And check this out lol ...warped rotors and needing brake pads can set off the P0305 code because of the shaking and vibrations ... check your breaks

OP
OP
nwro

nwro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Apologies for the very late update but got it resolved.
Exhaust is completely stock.
The lifter off cyl 5 wiped the cam. Got several quotes from official dealers varying between $4 to $5k (!) For a cam and lifters replacement. No warranty because of risk of metal swirf and long lead times.
Ended up finding a local dodge/chrysler/ram engine builder and got an exchange engine for less compared to cam and lifter replacement. 1 year warranty so didn't need long to think about that.

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That sucks. At least you got things planned. If it seems like cam/lifter problem, 9 out of 10 times it is...
One can try swapping coils and spark plugs and other things...we're all rolling a dice here with 5.7s.
@nwro, good luck with your new engine, hopefully it will last a long while.

scubasteege

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Apologies for the very late update but got it resolved.
Exhaust is completely stock.
The lifter off cyl 5 wiped the cam. Got several quotes from official dealers varying between $4 to $5k (!) For a cam and lifters replacement. No warranty because of risk of metal swirf and long lead times.
Ended up finding a local dodge/chrysler/ram engine builder and got an exchange engine for less compared to cam and lifter replacement. 1 year warranty so didn't need long to think about that.

Dang it. I have an appointment for my truck to be looked at on the 14th and I believe I have the same issue. I hope they do not quote me 4-5k...

OP
OP
nwro

nwro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dang it. I have an appointment for my truck to be looked at on the 14th and I believe I have the same issue. I hope they do not quote me 4-5k...

Fingers crossed for you then. The 4-5k where dealer quotes. The independent quoted 2.5k for cam and lifter replacement and 3.5k for the engine/longblock. With 106k miles on the truck, spending 1k more on the engine made sense to me.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Fingers crossed for you then. The 4-5k where dealer quotes. The independent quoted 2.5k for cam and lifter replacement and 3.5k for the engine/longblock. With 106k miles on the truck, spending 1k more on the engine made sense to me.

I think you made the right call...I'd have done the same thing. Did you get a new or used motor?

OP
OP
nwro

nwro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rebuild. All internals new but block and heads refurbished. New oil/waterpump.