COE truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I saw this photoshop pix online and it got me to thinking. There were certain benefits to this design but all cab over engine trucks for the general public they disappeared a long time ago.
This rendering isn't perfect as far as function if you examine it closely. But what do you think? Would you be interested in a COE truck if they came back?

COE2.png

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
No thanks.
Drove a 6cyl Chevy and a 318 Dodge van, both COE and the noise & heat is enough to stay away.
There's a reason the seats aren't next to the engine on most vehicles.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ever been in an accident? How about hitting a deer even?

Fun to look at and think about but no way they could ever be produced.

OP
OP
Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've got a sorta thang for the FC Jeeps, but in reality, COE's ride like crap, and have poor crashworthiness.

Yeah, I'm willing to bet that is why they disappeared. Vehicles have to be designed to be crashed.
This has led to **** poor visibility from the driver because of thick A-pillars. Climbing into one of the old Ramchargers I'm remind how well you can see out and around you because of all the glass.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
They don't even have to make them that far of cab-forward design and they'd still sell like crazy. Like a full sized chevy 1500 or 2500 van for instance. Those meet/exceed crash standards, etc.

I'm sure you guys have seen the $9000 Chinese Chevy truck online by now. Something like this would sell like crazy in the States these days.

wuling-zhengtu-pickup-side.jpg

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We had/ well my grandpa still has a cab over Volvo Diesel. They turn on a dime. It was a great truck, but after about 25 years parts were unavailable except if some one from Volvo in Germany could/would look up the parts on microfilm from how we were told and find them. I personally would still drive it vs our Kodiak that we have. Air brakes vs Disc brakes and that dumb parking brake GM put on them. A lot of motor homes gas ones had the same set up. So in short theory in my line of work, I would drive one.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For light vehicles (1500's.. ) there's no incentive to maximize space when CAFE requirements get easier to meet the longer your wheelbase.

That and for some reason people have a tendency to love/hate things inversely proportional to their actual utility so if you make something genuinely functional it's a guaranteed marketing flop.

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My dad had one of those Dodge panel trucks. Ride was like a buckboard, and the front pogoed up and down a lot but I thought it was pretty neat.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The biggest problem with a COE, is the brake system
Hit the brakes hard & the rear end swings around

When i worked for the California Highway Dept. we had 2 of these, both had a dump bed on them & they were very rough riding

ford-coe-side-1200x670.jpg

Last edited: