cold air intake is it worth time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramjam05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I have an 05" ram 1500 slt love the truck had to put sone money in Trans rebuild, alternator. now I have been researching a cold air intake. I just want a little more horsepower. is this worth the cost..

Elvira

Reaction score
No, you will gain nothing except a slight noise with a cold air intake. Save and use your money for headers perhaps, at least the money spent will give you a slight increase in performance and let the engine breathe better.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only way you would gain power is if you made a track intake that used a ram air effect by putting the opening behind the grill with a bell mouth fitting

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have long tube headers and a tune, I’d do it. Wouldnt bother doing it if you still stock. Grab long tube headers and y pipe.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Read this thread

http://www.ramforum.com/f75/modded_stock_air-box_snorkle_more_airflow-37123/

basically, you can do a DIY CAI for practially nothing, if you really want one. I disagree with the lads her,e it will give you extra Oooph, only at wide open throttle and only for short bursts.
think about, ya need the most air when running flat out.

as far as Horse power upgrade, doubt, just think ya get to use all the ponies ya already have.

Take the bottom of the air box, out, then cut a 3" hole in the corner, using a hole saw.
Fetch a Basement type floor drain and remove the criss-cross drain catches.
Then, slap down some silicone, if you are so inclined, and put your drain, in the hole.
cai04-jpg.jpg

This is a picture of teh under side, of the cold air box, with the floor drain sticking out the bottom.

Slip the Aluminum flexible, painted black, Dryer Vent over the drains lip.

or go here adn get teh fancy hose

3620.jpg
Tighten with a hose clamp.

cai05-jpg.jpg

run the hose to this scoop, which will fit nicely on the passgr side of your radiator support. jsut cut a an opening for it and bolt it up.

Plenty of room for it.

3623-PLUS-2018.jpg

Now you have a Speed Forced Air, Ram Styled, Cold Air Intake.
for less than $350 dryer vent and under a $120 for fancy stuff

Cash22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have long tube headers and a tune, I’d do it. Wouldnt bother doing it if you still stock. Grab long tube headers and y pipe.
Question: would short or long tube headers help with mpg?

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd go with the only dyno proven performer netting any actual gains, the Vararam.
But, you'll only gain a little until you do your exhaust, headers, cam, ported TB and of course, a custom tune.
(re-gearing and a different stall converter will make a huge change in take-off too)
IMG_1547.JPG

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Useless, The only real power gain is a 6.4L intake swap.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I have an 05" ram 1500 slt love the truck had to put sone money in Trans rebuild, alternator. now I have been researching a cold air intake. I just want a little more horsepower. is this worth the cost..
Cold air intake is NOT worth it, no change in HP or MPG. Leave it stock!

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
No.

SouthernBornRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
after reading the comments, allow me to explain.... YES it IS worth it, putting cold air in fuel mixture will allow more fuel to be introduced therefore HP increase is seen. Colder air is more condensed and contains more oxygen; more oxygen means more power. CAI's work better at higher RPM's overall. CAI's also work better with adding more upgrades as you go e.g. headers and aftermarket throttle body etc... Engines like air... more unrestricted In and Out.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
after reading the comments, allow me to explain.... YES it IS worth it, putting cold air in fuel mixture will allow more fuel to be introduced therefore HP increase is seen. Colder air is more condensed and contains more oxygen; more oxygen means more power. CAI's work better at higher RPM's overall. CAI's also work better with adding more upgrades as you go e.g. headers and aftermarket throttle body etc... Engines like air... more unrestricted In and Out.
You realize that RAM's stock intake system is already a CAI right? It does not take engine compartment air......

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You realize that RAM's stock intake system is already a CAI right?
^^This. With the possible exception of an OTR style intake, replacing the factory CAI for an aftermarket CAI won't gain you anything but a change in the sound it makes.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like chopperman said. The stock intake IS a CAI. Lol