Cold weather audio problem [2015 with 8.4 retrofit]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I have my 2015 3500 that I retro'd an RA3 into in 2018. When I did the project I installed all new HVAC controller and single zone center stack. No issues at all until recent cold snap. The audio starts normally but then shuts down either completely or after a few on-off sequences. Audio remains off with no volume control. All functions such as nav and station control and touch screen worked. I also noticed that HVAC worked via the center stack but none of the indicator lights would illuminate. The radio would also NOT shut down even after opening the door. The first time it happened I pulled the secret fuse which was a bear in itself and everything returned to normal. Next cold and it did it again. This time I decided to try the soft reset routine which got the radio to turn off (then it was normal again).

I was figuring it was a radio problem so I decided to take the opportunity to swap out the RA3 for a slightly newer RA4. Easy enough and has been working great for the past week or so but it has not been below freezing. Well, today it was 23F and the audio started as normal then shut off with no control. Same symptoms as before. Did the soft reset to get the radio to turn off and upon restarting, we're back to normal.

This got me to thinking that it must not be the radio at all [DUH!]. Being as the HVAC is working but the indicators are not, I have a feeling there is a problem with the center stack. Maybe it is loosing CAN connection when it gets cold below freezing.
As it turns out I did pick up a dual zone center stack quite a while ago with the intention of installing the AUTO fan control switch in the single zone control. At this point I'm glad I didn't. When I get an opportunity I plan to swap it to see if the problem goes away.

I am wondering if anyone has seen this before. On the plus side, my RA3 works properly.

Thanks.

SteveB

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have my 2015 3500 that I retro'd an RA3 into in 2018. When I did the project I installed all new HVAC controller and single zone center stack. No issues at all until recent cold snap. The audio starts normally but then shuts down either completely or after a few on-off sequences. Audio remains off with no volume control. All functions such as nav and station control and touch screen worked. I also noticed that HVAC worked via the center stack but none of the indicator lights would illuminate. The radio would also NOT shut down even after opening the door. The first time it happened I pulled the secret fuse which was a bear in itself and everything returned to normal. Next cold and it did it again. This time I decided to try the soft reset routine which got the radio to turn off (then it was normal again).

I was figuring it was a radio problem so I decided to take the opportunity to swap out the RA3 for a slightly newer RA4. Easy enough and has been working great for the past week or so but it has not been below freezing. Well, today it was 23F and the audio started as normal then shut off with no control. Same symptoms as before. Did the soft reset to get the radio to turn off and upon restarting, we're back to normal.

This got me to thinking that it must not be the radio at all [DUH!]. Being as the HVAC is working but the indicators are not, I have a feeling there is a problem with the center stack. Maybe it is loosing CAN connection when it gets cold below freezing.
As it turns out I did pick up a dual zone center stack quite a while ago with the intention of installing the AUTO fan control switch in the single zone control. At this point I'm glad I didn't. When I get an opportunity I plan to swap it to see if the problem goes away.

I am wondering if anyone has seen this before. On the plus side, my RA3 works properly.

Thanks.

SteveB
I'd check the adapter harness for the 8.4 mod.