Computer programmer or throttle booster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Commander 06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so I need thoughts on programmer or throttle booster ... If you could only choose 1 whitch one and why?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Depends on what truck you have, budget and end goals.

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

RusslRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With a programmer u can adjust throttle

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Commander 06

Commander 06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2012 ram 1500 slt looking for best overall product seeing my budget for now will only allow for one or the other

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
If you plan on adding other bolt on performance parts and the ability to increase horse power then a tuner would be the way to go. Something like the Diablo sport intunes (I believe it's called) or I forgot what the other one is they offer. I had a bullydog on the 2012 1500 I had. Adding ~30 for the $350 (I think) I spent I wasn't really happy with it. Didn't gain much or any throttle response. I want to say I remember hearing that Diablo sport could adjust throttle response, not sure how much it can. If actual performance isn't a plan or concern but want to have the feeling of performance then the pedal commander is probably the way to go. There is something like 32 different sensitivity settings so you can adjust it to exactly how you want. I'm real close to pulling the trigger on one myself.

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

OP
OP
Commander 06

Commander 06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck has the 4.7 so a little power would not hurt ... One of my buddies had a F 150 with the 5.0 and it's a close race would like to be able to beat him .. I have exhaust and cold air intake but could use some power ... But then I think a faster throttle response in theory would get off the line faster which would help also cuz at top end it's close I feel I just need a better start of the line

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Jump on YouTube and search pedal commander. That way you can see people's reactions to it. Another member had one on the 4.7 he had and was very impressed.

The faster the pedal response the faster the truck will get moving

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My truck has the 4.7 so a little power would not hurt ... One of my buddies had a F 150 with the 5.0 and it's a close race would like to be able to beat him .. I have exhaust and cold air intake but could use some power ... But then I think a faster throttle response in theory would get off the line faster which would help also cuz at top end it's close I feel I just need a better start of the line

Don't buy a pedal commander if you want more power out of your 4.7,you'll want a tuner if that's the case,and a custom tune .I'd recommend Jay Greene for a custom tune.I pulled 250 rwhp from a 2013 4.7 with all the commonly available 4.7 bolt-ons and a custom dyno tune.Heres a link to my old build on it

https://www.ramforumz.com/threads/250hp-and-263-torque.182005/

OP
OP
Commander 06

Commander 06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was looking into the superchip dashpaq for the tuner .. I already have a custom build cold air intake it uses factory air box cuz I like the inclosed box and the pick up location it has a smooth flow tube from air box to throttle body and running greens air filter unit cuz it flows more than k&n and I have a muffler delete most likely no hp gain with muffler delete but it was cheap haha

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
A tune Will increase your hp. A pedal commander will not. If you mash the gas to the floor to launch it, it will not matter one bit if you have a PC or not. However, if you run a tune, you will reach the big end faster. Might beat the pants off your FOMOCO buddy.

I had a tune in my '09 SLT 1500. VERY noticable difference indeed. Like WOW.

Now, I have a '17 2500 Tradesman 4X4 6.4 w/ MagnaFlow cat back and a K&N CAI. No tune yet (need an unlocked PCM $$$). I did put a PC in about 6 mo. ago.

That said, I really like my PC because it takes all the squishy feeling out of the gas pedal. I have mine set to Sport +3. That's kinda getting too touchy for normal people but I ain't normal. It's a little tough to pull away from a light without being a little jerky sometimes. Just ask my wife.[emoji38].
Don't confuse quicker response with more power though. The PC does not shorten your ET or make your truck any faster. It just "feels" zippy because the gas pedal only has to move a fraction of what it used to.

My goal is 3 part.
1. CAI and Cat back exh. - Completed.
2. Change rears from 4.10s to 5.13s. Saving up for this
3. Custom tune. Waiting for #2 to be done.

Hope this helps, brother.

PS: Reach out to [email protected]. They are offering 10% off and free shipping on a PC purchase.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Commander 06

Commander 06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I definitely thinking the tuner would be more beneficial for what I'm looking for now I've been looking at the superchip flashpaq or dashpaq they seem to have the most adjustment and clamed to get rid of throttle lag .. I still might get a PC later down the road ... And dose anyone have any thoughts on throttle body spacers?

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I run a Pedal Commander and really like it. I got it because to tune mine, it'll be somewhere around $800 - $1000. You have the option to run a tuner for just a bit more than the PC, so I'd probably go that direction. The stock Diablo tune woke up my 2500 6.4.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Pedal Commander only does one thing, and if you're looking to improve response then that's the obvious choice. A tuner will do much more for you, and if you go with a custom tune will change the driving experience completely and add power. You can also monitor the engine and change other quick settings. So it all depends on what you're after.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Commander 06

Commander 06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The superchip flashpaq and dashpaq both support custom tune and there is a dyno shop close to me never looked into a custom tune from a dyno shop sounds like it might be out of budget for right now I'm playing with about $500 that's will get just about any tuner I choose the flashpaq is about $360 the dashpaq is about $460 have no clue what a dyno shop would charge to custom tune my truck but after the tuner most definitely be over the remaining budget

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The superchip flashpaq and dashpaq both support custom tune and there is a dyno shop close to me never looked into a custom tune from a dyno shop sounds like it might be out of budget for right now I'm playing with about $500 that's will get just about any tuner I choose the flashpaq is about $360 the dashpaq is about $460 have no clue what a dyno shop would charge to custom tune my truck but after the tuner most definitely be over the remaining budget

The Superchip tuners do work on the 4.7's,but before you buy one,check with a couple of the tuners who do custom e-mail tunes and see if the Superchip tuners are compatiable with an e-mail tune.A dyno tune sounds good,but unless the dyno shop is very familiar with the Ram platform,they could do more harm then good.Shop around,you should be able to pick up a used unlocked/unmarried Diablo Trinity for a couple hundred bucks.The Trinity is more then enough tuner in your situation and will give you the gauges and 1/4 mile timing features that are kind of nice to have,plus is compatiable with all of the e-mail tuners

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK..If your wanting power today or down the road hook yerself up with a diablo trinity....It allows for a good bit of customization such as fan(off and on temps),tire size adjustment,can tunes plus ability to upload custom tunes,data logging for tuners to email you a custom tune,built in pedel commander like option...Im sure there are more options but im just outta bed and got my kramer hair style goin..lol..
peddle commander is just an illusion of performance..A diablo trinity IS performance

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A custom tune from either Jay Greene or Hemifever is by far the best option, but if you're limited by your budget, the Pedal Commander is the way to go.

Just remember, the PC doesn't add power, just reduces the throttle delay. A tune, even canned will give you at least a little more power and be able to reduce the delay.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Commander 06

Commander 06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've seen a few ppl have trouble with the Trinity ... Before my ram I had a f150 and a Jeep Commander and I ran hypertech with them but now that I have looked into superchip that seams to be what I'm looking for seeing it dose support custom tune removed throttle lag and with all the reviews I've seen they have the most hp & tq gains and is also stackable with other like PC if I choose to get that later down the road ... I've heard a lot of bad from edge tuners .. I'm don't know much about dioblo tuner only I seen a few ppl have issue with the ones they have

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've seen a few ppl have trouble with the Trinity ... Before my ram I had a f150 and a Jeep Commander and I ran hypertech with them but now that I have looked into superchip that seams to be what I'm looking for seeing it dose support custom tune removed throttle lag and with all the reviews I've seen they have the most hp & tq gains and is also stackable with other like PC if I choose to get that later down the road ... I've heard a lot of bad from edge tuners .. I'm don't know much about dioblo tuner only I seen a few ppl have issue with the ones they have

On your 2012 you're pretty safe with a Diablo Trinity. I had issues with installing a Trinity on my 13 ,but I was also the very first one to put a Trinity on a 2013 4.7 back then,so it took a few calls to Diablo to finally get it properly married,but that was 5 years ago. Check with the e-mail tuners like Jay Greene or Sean Powell/Hemifever,if they can do a custom e-mail tune to a Superchips tuner,then i'd go with one.