Confused on park assist & hooking trailer up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
so maybe I'm stupid, but I turned the park assist off on the 2018 Longhorn yesterday when trying to hook up my boat. The truck wouldn't allow me to get close enough to connect to my trailer. I could only get within a couple inches then the engine would rev but the truck would NOT move back. What am I doing wrong here?

Do I need to be in park when turning off rear assist? Does this rear assist prevent the truck from getting too close to anything? I tried to call dealer but I was unable to get any useful info. Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

TIA

liftedpsd2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
heme
Do you have the tow option? If you didn’t get the tow option on the 18s it won’t let you back up to a trailer. It’s an extra 500 dollar add on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well you got me. I was Internet searching to confirm. With the new trucks having brake assist options to prevent collisions it seemed possible.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Try it with your Park Sense on. You will just have to put up with the beeps while backing.

OP
OP
JinxCanada

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ya i honestly tried with the sensors on and off....I FINALLY got it within an inch and managed to hook up but it was a close call. It was just weird. The engine was revving but the truck would not move back at all once I got close the the hitch.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
... aren't you supposed to open the door without your foot on the brake and the seatbelt off while backing up to a trailer....lol

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I recall correctly, some have a defect where the so called park assist does not turn off regardless of what you do, or turns itself back on again. There may be a software update or reset the dealer can do to correct the issue by now, but previously FCA couldn't find what the issue was and were at a loss.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How is it stopping you? My park sense beeps and flashes but I can ignore it and literally run into the front of my trailer if I wanted to.

Are you backing up with the door open and your seat belt off?

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
That why I didn't get park sense on mine..only the back up camera.
Me too. And those sensors in the bumper look like crap and are a great place for moisture, dirt and salt to start some rust in the bumper.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How is it stopping you? My park sense beeps and flashes but I can ignore it and literally run into the front of my trailer if I wanted to.

Are you backing up with the door open and your seat belt off?

I don't think they put it on even the higher line RAMS, but other FCA vehicles have park sense with rear park assist that applies brakes when you get too close to an object while backing. Its suppose to deactivate when a trailer's electric plug is attached or when park sense is turned off. Sometimes it doesn't work as it should.

mathews8pt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like others mentioned the truck won’t move with door open and belt off. Drives me crazy when moving my truck around the driveway or backing my boat in a tight spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laffs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Park Assist shouldn't be stopping you from backing up, the only auto stop I thought Rams had was the door thing as mentioned.

Also in my truck I can turn them off any time by hitting the switches under the radio, never had an issue with them coming back on once I did that and no issues getting trailers on the hook.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ParkAssist in your truck is only beeping sensors.The button just turns off the sound, I use it every time I trailer.

"
ParkSense® Front and Rear Park Assist System
The Ram 1500 offers the available ParkSense® Front and Rear Park Assist16 System. This feature alerts you when you’re in close proximity to objects in front of and/or behind your vehicle. "

If the issue is with the truck, it would happen with or without a trailer. If you had a '19... maybe some sort of glitch but no way in a '18.

Was your parking brake on? Were you on terrain different than concrete?