Considering a 2020 Power wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for all the replies so far. Keep them coming.

The gist of where my head still is, is that I do NOT want a 2500 HD for daily driving. I don't want another unimpressive 1500 for the let's say 1000 miles of towing I do a year. (that could definitely increase if I had a more capable truck) So, I want a newer/better truck to tow our camper, but priority is daily driving. It's camping season in South Texas now, our second season with the camper. I'd like to have a more capable truck for this season but don't we all know it is a terrible time in the vehicle market to buy. Funny how no one is really commenting on that, that's all my wife and I are discussing the most. I just came across this PW for $56k and feel like it's about as good as I'll see for now.

I looked all over at 1500's and on paper they can have as much as 1800 lbs payload and 12,000 lbs towing capacity. More impressive on paper than the PW and much more impressive than my current truck. But is the feel in the seat real? Meaning, it's still a 1500 sized everything; do you feel that?

I wish I could overnight test drive the PW and just risk hooking up my camper, tow it down the highway for 5 miles then return the truck next day. It's a risk and a liability i know, but that's why you give the dealer your insurance info.

BTW my current truck gets 11-12 mpg empty and 6-7 towing, so I'm already used to poor gas mileage.
I will probably catch some flack for this but sounds like you would be better off with a F 150 with max payload and towing package. Will definitely check all the boxes for limited towing and give you the ride you want as a daily driver.

OP
OP
M

matemike

Reaction score
I will probably catch some flack for this but sounds like you would be better off with a F 150 with max payload and towing package. Will definitely check all the boxes for limited towing and give you the ride you want as a daily driver.
True. That’s what I’m basically looking at. But how is the feel in the seat when towing? It is still a half ton. Only on paper it says what it can do. What’s the reality? This might also warrant an overnight test drive.

But also, isn’t the f-150 with max towing numbers going to be a short cab long bed? The lighter the body the more payload the frame, under carriage and drive train can take. But I would want a f-150 with bells and whistles, 4 doors, leather, heated/cooled seats, 4x4 etc.. Once you start adding that stuff I’ve noticed the payload and towing numbers go down.

BowerPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
True. That’s what I’m basically looking at. But how is the feel in the seat when towing? It is still a half ton. Only on paper it says what it can do. What’s the reality? This might also warrant an overnight test drive.

But also, isn’t the f-150 with max towing numbers going to be a short cab long bed? The lighter the body the more payload the frame, under carriage and drive train can take. But I would want a f-150 with bells and whistles, 4 doors, leather, heated/cooled seats, 4x4 etc.. Once you start adding that stuff I’ve noticed the payload and towing numbers go down.
Even if you get an f150 with max tow and max payload package and all the nice options, I would think it would tow more than your current truck by 1000 -1500 pounds. If you upgrade your camper to something in the 10,000 pound or more range you're gonna want a 2500/f250. 1/2 tons can tow that weight but won't feel as confident as a 2500 that's rated at 15,000-20,000 pounds towing. That's the gist I get from the videos and research I have done.

I have two YouTube channels to recommend. 1st) TFL truck, they do the toughest towing test, up a mountain in Colorado. They have done a few 1500, vs 2500 videos, decent information there. 2nd) big truck big rv, he does a bunch of camper trailer reviews. He does a few truck review from time to time. He has a lot of videos talking about what he would tow with a half ton, 3/4 ton and one ton. Watch a few of his camper reviews that look like something you have or want. He will talk about what size truck is needed to tow it.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I'll be damned! In that one spot it is slightly smaller. I have measured other spots too if someone need to see them. Crazy Jerry is not completely crazy after all. Unfortunately for him, the build sheet clearly states 6000# axle. The 5th photo will be more proof of that. Might be a reinforcement for the torque of the Cummins engine. All I could find was a 2019 Cummins at the ford dealer of all places. New and used ram HDs are sold out.
View attachment 474276View attachment 474273View attachment 474275 View attachment 474274View attachment 474278
If you go to mopar.com, you can sign in and see all the equipment your truck is equipped with. We don't have to argue about the size of the gas tank because it is clearly stated that it is 31 gallons. Lets keep looking for other helpful information... oh wait... does that say "6000# front axle" as standard equipment. While Crazy Jerry is right about that smaller spot on the power wagon front axle, he is wrong that it is rated for less than 6000 pounds. If you take into account the springs and articulink then 6000 pounds is to much. If you're worried about the front axle, then limit what you put above the cab or hanging off the front bumper. Luckily, when you're towing by bumper or fifth wheel/gooseneck, most of the wait is put on your rear axle which is a 6200 pound axle.

the housing is plenty strong no matter what its rating. ill agree with that. aside from the short tube and passenger side of the pumkin, all other pieces appear to be the same as a regular 2500 , best i can tell

BowerPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
the housing is plenty strong no matter what its rating. ill agree with that. aside from the short tube and passenger side of the pumkin, all other pieces appear to be the same as a regular 2500 , best i can tell
I measure that spot plus a spot on each side. All the same except that one spot. Where the springs put the weight on the axle is the same thickness. I would like to see a normal 2500 6.4 to see if it is a gas vs diesel thing or specific to power wagon.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pw is the only one to use that 3.5-3.8 version of front housing. all the other trucks use the constant 3.8 short tube.
you should of got the vin for that deisel truck and seen what the ram site says for the front axle

BowerPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Screenshot_20211018-005026_Chrome.jpg
6000#, I wish they had those 3 digit option codes. Apparently thar truck was a 3500 srw. I got the vin from the dealer website.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Over the weekend we got our two Rams together out in Wyoming and looked at the suspension of our 2014 Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4 to our 2016 Ram Tradesman Power Wagon. Same body style on both trucks. GVWR Front of 6,000 vs 4,750 pounds, rear 6,500 vs 6,200 pounds. We noticed the smaller diameter difference in the front axle housing dimensions. The most noticeable difference was the front lower control arms which are gargantuan on the Cummins truck and wimpy on the Power Wagon.

20211017_103935.jpg20211017_104137.jpg

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi

I really know nothing about the trucks and their current configurations or how a 150 feels when towing Sounds like an XL or XLT would work for you.

Tinman454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pw is the only one to use that 3.5-3.8 version of front housing. all the other trucks use the constant 3.8 short tube.
you should of got the vin for that deisel truck and seen what the ram site says for the front axle
Can I get the info for this site your on to get the truck info.

BowerPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Can I get the info for this site your on to get the truck info.
It's mopar.com If you haven't already made an account, you can and add your truck to your account via the vin. When you click on your truck there is an ability to see standard equipment

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The most noticeable difference was the front lower control arms which are gargantuan on the Cummins truck and wimpy on the Power Wagon.

yes but the cummins arms are as limber as a 90yo man with arthritis

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
mechanically the pw drivetrain is far stronger than what it needs to be. the rear axle can support a minimun of 1500lb beyond the springs. front axle could support a minimum of 1300lb beyond the springs if you go by the 6000 rating on the ram site. transfer cases were all the same far as i know so its good to atleast 1000ft of torq. frame is mostly the same as regular 2500. transmission is same as regular 2500 6.4. front radius arms is one of the main difference but they dont have to support a deisel engine or other stuff such as snowplow. although i guess you could use a smaller snow plow and be fine

OP
OP
M

matemike

Reaction score
I just looked at a 2022 PW door sticker.
Max payload says 1324 lbs. what’s up with that? That’s less than my 10 year old 1500

How is ram going to spec a 1560 payload and build a truck that comes in under by 240 pounds? I know PW is not a tow vehicle, but this payload spec is important on a big truck no matter what, but it seems to be all over the place.

Last edited:

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
The 1,324 includes the driver and passengers.

The average (airline) passenger weight is 182 pounds in summer and 187 pounds in winter, not including their baggage. If you’ve got 3 passengers it's 740 pounds plus your 660 pound trailer tongue weight that equals 1,400 pounds. You may need to not drive it in order to stay within your truck’s weight limit.

OP
OP
M

matemike

Reaction score
FWIW it was on a bucket seat PW. Does the center console take away that much payload? It also has the smaller screen, not the gigantic 12" one.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
FWIW it was on a bucket seat PW. Does the center console take away that much payload? It also has the smaller screen, not the gigantic 12" one.
If you want the maximum payload with a Ram 2500 the configuration is a Tradesman with the sole option of the Power Wagon package. Options decrease the payload capacity.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my 2020 PW with level 1 equipment has a payload of 1565 lb.
D4B4BC24-B6F2-4F36-98FE-AE191BE164B1_1_201_a.jpeg

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
and this is the Tradesman with pw option I almost bought. not a lot of difference.
DD58FF67-F67C-473C-8652-28AD511A2068_1_201_a.jpeg5DBCE900-3C09-4FCC-BA40-E30AA93EDF5F_1_201_a.jpeg

OP
OP
M

matemike

Reaction score
the one i saw was a level 2 with bucket seats. I've seen a level 2 with a payload of 1560 or so IIRC. I would not care if it was splitting hairs, but 1340 is a huge drop in payload and 5 passengers due to only 2 in the front.

do you think they just subtracted the weight of a passenger since it is only a 5 seat truck? but did not add back the option to load more deadweight?

Last edited: