Conventional or Synthetic? First oil change on new-to-me '14 w/ 70k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jp28173

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my 2014 RAM 1500 5.7 back in May with about 66,500 miles. I'm now at 69,7xx miles and the "oil change required" came on last week, but the sticker in the top corner of the windshield from the place I bought it from says next oil change due at 70 or 71,***. They did not tell me whether or not they used conventional or synthetic (probably conventional to save them a few bucks). The truck is in pristine shape inside and out, so the previous owners took VERY good care of it. Per the Carfax report the oil was changed every 4-5k miles by the first owner up to 28,000 when it was sold to the second owner. The last "logged" oil change (or any service for that matter) on Carfax was at 28,000 miles so I'm assuming the second owner may have been a DIY'er (at least I hope!!!)

No way of knowing whether synthetic or conventional has been used for the life of the engine thus far, and I've heard its bad to switch to synthetic from conventional if an engine has always used conventional, and vice versa... So, question is since my first oil change is due what would you all recommend I go with?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It is a myth that you cannot go back and forth synthetic and conventional. Same basic components that are completely compatible. It's just that syn oil has more additives that allows for a longer interval and less contamination. Hemi's should always be on a syn oil imo.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I run and have ran Castrol Edge with a purolator boss filter since 60k. I just hit 140k and no issues. Great oil and I still am holding 60+ psi and 40+ hot and sitting still. Redline and PUP are also great oils for the hemi. Wifes Pacifica is on PUP and my Charger is on Castrol edge.

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you seen the synthetic oil thread? It's currently sitting at over 4,200 pages of conversations regarding this.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Have you seen the synthetic oil thread? It's currently sitting at over 4,200 pages of conversations regarding this.

Careful now. You're handing over Pandora's Box full of worms pulled from a rabbit hole...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Synthetic oil is nothing more than a more uniform hydrocarbon molecule than refined crude mineral oil. They are totally miscible (soluble). Do what you wish.

The only thing I'd plead is don't use a semi-synthetic oil because you are wasting your money on a half-a$$ oil. Use full synthetic.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Synthetic oil is nothing more than a more uniform hydrocarbon molecule than refined crude mineral oil. They are totally miscible (soluble). Do what you wish.

The only thing I'd plead is don't use a semi-synthetic oil because you are wasting your money on a half-a$$ oil. Use full synthetic.
My boss literally told me one day when he asked me if i thought it was okay to mix syn and conventional i said well they do make syn blends and he says look my theory is how does the engine know wtf is in it i mean they dont go tellin those oil field guys today your drilling for synthetic. Im still a little confused on that one lol

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had my oil changed by express oil after I ran out of dealer changes at 68k and they used 5w30 valvoline synthetic. Changed it myself after 5k and used 5w20 castrol magnatec synthetic, no issues yet.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Tom NJ said it best:

"Synthetic chemicals are defined by the final processing steps, not the origin of matter from billions of years ago. In chemistry, a synthetic molecule is made by reacting two or more smaller molecules, elements, or radicals to create a new larger and more complex molecule. In lubricants, synthetic is a marketing term implying higher performance through the exclusive use Group III, Group IV and/or selected Group V base oils. Group III base oils do not technically meet the chemistry definition of synthetic, however, since 90+% of its molecules were created new by man by altering or rearranging mineral oil molecules, many feel the term synthetic does applies. Others apply it by place more emphasis on the base oil performance properties than on how it was made. There are some motor oils that claim to use only "true" synthetic base oils, but there is no reason to believe these oils will perform better due to these base oils, as the additive system plays a greater role in the finished oil performance. You can be sure, however, that they will be more expensive. All definitions of "synthetic" lubricants are based on the base oil content only, exclusive of additives or small amounts of diluent oil. While this may be academically interesting, none of it really matters when selecting a motor oil. You only need to be concerned with the specifications and approvals the oil has, and the reputation of the oil manufacturer making such claims."

Source: https://tinyurl.com/tomnj

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
In fact, a court of law ruled that API Group III base oils met the definition of the word 'synthetic' and could therefore be marketed and labeled as such. Before there were API Groupings, that is. Hence the API groupings resulting to stop the inter-corporate oil marketing feuds. From the infamous Mobil lawsuit against Castrol marketing.

For applications that have moderate oil change intervals, for whatever reasons, Group III base oils are plenty good enough. Bizarre applications such as Hemi engine architecture is an exception - still need moderate OCI's for the same reason need outstanding base stocks and additives - Hemi engines are poorly lubricated!

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
... about 66,500 miles. I'm now at 69,7xx miles and the "oil change required" came on last week, but the sticker in the top corner of the windshield from the place I bought it from says next oil change due at 70 or 71,***.
You have a great opportunity to do the change at the round number of 70,000. After that, change every 5,000. 75,000, then 80,000, and so on. This is what I do with all my vehicles.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Im amazed at how many people think once you go synthetic you cant go back
At one time, back in the late seventies and eighties, it was true that you couldn’t go back and forth. Different additives would affect the engine seals differently. Of course the seals have been updated and this is no longer true.

Steve S King

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hemimann, I like your statement there, I also have a 17 2500 6.4 4x4, bought it with 84K on it, runs great, but I want to upgrade it with a tuner as well and would like your recommendations, if you will, as to what is a good combo.
I know there are MANY variables, looking for a basic idea to start the process. Only thing on the motor is a K&N CAI, which I don't think is really doing anything.
ANY info would be helpful.

Octane

Reaction score
My boss literally told me one day when he asked me if i thought it was okay to mix syn and conventional i said well they do make syn blends and he says look my theory is how does the engine know wtf is in it i mean they dont go tellin those oil field guys today your drilling for synthetic. Im still a little confused on that one lol
I thought I was sold stock in synthetic oil wells....lol